2009 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN FEATURES NEW FUEL-SAVING SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION
An American icon for more than 70 years, the Chevrolet Suburban is the benchmark of full-size SUVs. It is spacious and capable and, for 2009, more efficient than ever, thanks to the implementation of a new, fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission.
The new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed is standard on 1500 models. It enhances fuel economy on the highway via reduced engine speed, as the engine requires less fuel to operate at a lower “cruising” speed. Also, quietness in the interior is enhanced with the lower-rpm cruising.
“As competitors have come and gone over the years, the Suburban remains as the standard bearer in its class,” said Ed Peper, Chevrolet general manager. “The new features for 2009 further reinforce its position as the go-anywhere, do-anything SUV with room for everybody and all their stuff.”
New technologies that enhance safety are also added to the Suburban in ’09, including Bluetooth wireless phone connectivity with specific steering wheel controls, and an available rear camera system that can be displayed in either the inside rearview mirror or the navigation display, depending on radio choice, as well as Side Blind Zone detection. These new features complement an already strong package of standard safety items, such as head curtain side-impact air bags and StabiliTrak electronic stability control system.
The Suburban lineup is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models, with 2WD and 4WD, as well as 1500 and heavy-duty 2500 series. (LTZ is available only on 1500 series.)
New for 2009
In addition to the new six-speed automatic transmission, numerous new features and revisions across the lineup gives customers more choices. They include:
- New 20-inch chrome-clad wheel – This new, wheel design is available on LTZ models
- New exterior colors – White Diamond Tricoat and Red Jewel Tintcoat are offered on LTZ models, and Dark Brahma Jewel will be available in limited quantity
- OnStar 8.0 – The latest-generation OnStar system offers advanced features, including Stolen Vehicle Slow Down, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, and new Destination Download that automatic downloads requested directions to the Suburban’s navigation system
- Bluetooth connectivity – This wireless technology enables safer, hands-free calling with specific steering wheel controls through either OnStar or a Bluetooth-enabled phone.
- XM Satellite Radio with NavTraffic – Available with the standard XM Satellite Radio service, the new NavTraffic feature delivers real-time traffic advisements and route suggestions into the optional navigation system
- LTZ Enhancements – Standard on LTZ models:
- Heated and cooled 12-way memory seats
- Perforated, leather-trimmed seating surfaces
- New body-side moldings with chrome accent
- New rear fascia with chrome accent and trailer hitch cover
- Brushed metal steering wheel trim plate
- New sill plates with “Chevrolet” embossed logo
- Centerpoint Surround Sound Bose speaker system
- Side Blind Zone Alert system – Optional on LTZ, this safety system uses radar sensors located in the corners of the rear fascia to signal a visual alert in the OSRV mirrors when, objects are detected in “blind zones”
- Two rearview camera options – The rearview camera display is included in the inside rearview mirror on models without the navigation radio and on the navigation display for models with the navigation radio
- Navigation radio now offered on 1LT
- New fabric for cloth seat trim
- Z71 exterior changes – Body-color door handles and mirror caps, as well as a bright chrome grille insert, are now part of the package
- Titanium and Cashmere interior options are now available on Z71 models
- New “Luxury” package available on 2LT models consisting of:
- Bose premium speaker system
- Heated 10-way power seats with memory
- Heated second-row seats
- Second-row power seat release
- Power liftgate
- Auto-dimming outside mirrors with ‘Razor styled’ turn signal display
- Auto-dimming inside mirror
- Third-row DVD entertainment system – An optional, second flip-down screen and system controls are available for third-row passengers
- Integrated brake controller – Integrated with the ABS system, it provides immediate and measured brake force signaling to electric-controlled trailer brake systems; there is no requirement for external and/or aftermarket brake control systems
- Heavy-duty trailering package – Provides enhanced cooling capacity to deliver maximum towing capability with the 3.42 axle ratio
- Fuel-saving 3.08 axle ratio – New axle for 2WD models equipped with the 5.3L V-8 delivers real-world fuel economy improvements
Additionally, there are several changes to existing models and content packages, including:
- Auto-dimming mirror standard on LTZ models and 2LT models with the PCK package. Navigation system is now available on 1LT
- New seat fabric for models with cloth trim
Suburban lineup at a glance
Suburban delivers the capability of hauling more passengers and cargo than any other vehicle in the segment. It is based on GM’s full-size SUV architecture, which features sleek exterior styling; a sharp, precise driving feel; and excellent interior refinement and quietness.
Riding on a 130-inch (3,302 mm) wheelbase, the Suburban’s dimensions support generous passenger and cargo capability, while enabling its smooth ride – behind the first-row seats is 137.4 cubic feet (3,890 liters) of cargo room.
Suburban 1500 offers up to 8,100 pounds (3,674 kg) of towing capability (2WD models), when properly equipped; Suburban 2500 can tow up to 9,600 pounds (4,354 kg).
Suburban wears the global face of Chevrolet, with a large Chevy gold bowtie centered on a distinctive grille. The body-colored grille surround is inset with an argent texture mesh. Fog lamps and headlamps feature jewel-like optics. The lower fascia, incorporating the front license plate holder and integrated tow hooks, is aggressively styled with a skid plate look that enhances Suburban’s rugged, off-road appearance.
Suburban’s front-end styling reflects its capability. It includes the fast-rake windshield; a bulging power dome hood; a prominent new fender design with integrated wheel flares; a distinctive new grille and headlamps; and a full-wrap fascia. The wraparound fascia, which eliminates the conventional bumper-to-body gap, is one of the numerous attributes that give the Suburban a more refined look. It also enhances aerodynamics.
Seventeen-inch wheels and tires are standard on 1500 models, with 20-inch wheels available (standard on LTZ). The large wheels fill Suburban’s wheelhouses, giving the vehicle a confident stance. Suburban 2500 come with standard 16-inch wheels and offers stylish 17-inch aluminum wheels.
Suburban also offers power-articulated running boards on LTZ models. They blend smoothly with the vehicle’s design, but automatically move downward and outward when the doors are opened, providing a lower step-in height.
Numerous Chevy Accessories are available for Suburban:
- Seven styles of 20-inch chrome wheels, including the new D20 wheels that were developed in concert with DUB magazine
- Three styles of 22-inch chrome wheels, including the new D22 that were developed in concert with DUB magazine
- Personal Audio Link that allows radio controls to be used for iPods and other MP3 players
- Six-inch chrome assist steps
- Chrome recovery hooks, door handles, mirror caps and fuel doors
- Custom grille with chrome bars
- Grille brush guard
- Cat-back exhaust systems
- Taillamp guards
- Portable DVD players
Z71 Off Road package
The popular Z71 Off Road appearance package returns for 2009. It includes the Z71 Off Road suspension with high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch on/off-road tires, automatic-locking rear differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and a high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed fender flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome grille insert provide a distinctive appearance.
Inside, a brushed metal-look replaces wood grain accents for a more rugged appearance. Also included are leather-appointed bucket seats that are available in solid Ebony, Cashmere or Titanium.
Interior refinement and convenience
Suburban’s interior represents refinement, comfort, quality and convenience. The roomy interior is airy, thanks to a lower instrument panel and deep windshield that improve outward visibility. The seats are designed to provide great comfort, passenger-carrying flexibility and easy entry/egress. Door pillar-mounted first- and second-row three-point safety belts allow for slimmer seat designs that enhance roominess (second-row, center position uses an SUV-typical three-point belt-to-seat design).
Refinement is exemplified throughout Suburban’s spacious interior, creating an environment that exudes quality and precision. A two-tone color scheme is executed with soft and low-gloss materials for the instrument panel and other trim pieces. Also, there are almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, as all models feature enclosing “close outs” around the seat bottoms and doorsill trim plates.
Accessibility and capability are enhanced with features that include a unique power-release fold-and-tumble second-row seat and a third-row seat that also is easily removable. Storage capability is maximized with the segment’s largest center console storage bin, a larger glove box and additional new storage compartments.
Suburban’s available features also include:
- Power-release fold-and-tumble second-row seat
- Remote vehicle starting system
- First- and second-row heated seats
- Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist
- Driver information center
- Dual-zone automatic HVAC
- Rain Sense wiper system
- Rearview camera system
- Touch-screen navigation system
- DVD rear-seat entertainment system with eight-inch screen that can play videos stored on iPods
Suburban features an impressive audio/navigation lineup, which provides quality entertainment and information. A family of CD/MP3-compatible radios leads the audio lineup, with a DVD entertainment system that includes a large, eight-inch screen (with in-dash loading) and, new for ’09, a second flip-down screen for the third seating row.
A touch-screen navigation radio is available and incorporates the view monitor for the available rear-camera system (a new camera system is also available without the navigation system).
Standard in Suburban 1500 models is an iron-block Vortec 5.3L V-8 with 310 horsepower (231 kW)* and 335 lb.-ft. of torque (454 Nm)*, which offers Active Fuel Management fuel-saving technology. Active Fuel Management technology seamlessly switches between eight- and four-cylinder power to save fuel. Two versions of the Vortec 5.3L Gen IV V-8 – including a 310-horsepower (231 kW)* aluminum-block version that is standard in 4WD models – are compatible with E85 ethanol-based fuel, an alternative to gasoline. The engines can run on any combination of gasoline and/or E85 fuel.
Suburban 1500 models also offer an all-aluminum 6.0L V-8 with variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management, rated at 366 horsepower (273 kW).* Variable valve timing optimizes camshaft timing to improve low-rpm torque and high-rpm horsepower. The system is enabled by a unique dual-equal cam phaser that adjusts the camshaft timing at the same rate for both the intake and exhaust valves.
The Suburban 1500 engines are backed by a new, fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
Heavy-duty Suburban 2500 models offer a 6.0L V-8. It features an iron cylinder block and is rated at 352 horsepower (262 kW)* and 382 lb.-ft. of torque (518 Nm).* It is matched with a new, fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission.
The ’08 Suburban offers security in the form of a 360-degree perimeter safety system of occupant protection and crash-avoidance technologies. Standard features include roof-mounted head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows and front-seat safety belt pretensioners that are linked to the vehicle's sensing system to provide segment-exclusive deployment in rear-end crashes. These features are integrated into a stronger vehicle structure that is also designed for improved compatibility with other vehicles.
The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle.
Sensors located at the front of the vehicle, in the side doors and within the occupant compartment provide increased and more immediate crash detection.
Crash avoidance is bolstered through enhanced design and driver control dynamics, such as wider front and rear tracks, as well as more responsive suspensions – including a new coil-over-shock front suspension design and new rack-and-pinion steering. The vehicles are built on a stronger and stiffer, fully-boxed frame that contributes to enhanced crash energy management. The front frame section has been designed to optimize crush progression, resulting in improved energy absorption efficiency. The improved crush performance, enabled by hydroformed frame rails and efficient chassis component packaging, also comprehends design provisions for improved vehicle-to-vehicle compatibility in the event of a frontal impact with a smaller vehicle.
Additional safety features include:
- Standard StabiliTrak stability control system with rollover mitigation technology
- Standard dual-stage driver's front air bag
- Standard dual-stage outboard-front passenger air bag with passenger
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Available rain-sensing wiper system
- Available Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist that can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound and display via three LEDs on the right D-pillar
- Available rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert system
- Standard pull-up/push-down power window switches
All models come with the OnStar system (with a one-year Safe & Sound service plan). The system includes the General Motors Advanced Crash Response System, making crash data available to emergency services to potentially dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. All Suburban LT and LTZ models feature OnStar’s Directions & Connections service, which includes Turn-by-Turn Navigation, as well as the new Destination Download feature.
Suburban is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, which incorporates features such as a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, rack-and-pinion steering and an all-new, premium interior system that bolster the vehicle’s comfort, quality and capability. Wider front and rear tracks enhance handling and lower the center of gravity for a more confident road feel.
Extensive attention to detail was paid to ensure a quiet driving experience. It centers on the stiff frame, which reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin. The strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable more precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components, which also help reduce vibration. Even the tires on the large, 17-inch standard and 20-inch available wheels (1500 models) were designed to reduce noise.
Suburban’s quietness and smoothness is complemented by the Autoride suspension system, which is standard on LTZ. This segment-exclusive bi-state, real-time damping system provides an extremely refined ride with greatly reduced body motion. The system consists of a semi-active, two-position damping control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions, based on body and wheel motion sensors.