2015 CADILLAC XTS ADDS LUXURY, SAFETY FEATURES
AND ONSTAR WITH 4G LTE CONNECTION
The Cadillac XTS is one of the most technologically advanced production cars in the brand’s history, delivering the space, elegance and dramatic presence that are brand signatures, all in a unique package tuned for a new generation of luxury customers.
New for 2015, OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
XTS is offered in a well-equipped standard model and three optional Collections: Luxury, Premium and Platinum. The XTS Platinum represents the highest level of technology and luxury, including a unique front appearance, wheels and interior colors, materials and trim.
The XTS Vsport takes performance to a higher level, driven by an exclusive Twin-Turbo engine and all-wheel drive. It is available in the Premium and Platinum Collections.
Standard and available features across the lineup include:
- Magnetic Ride Control, rear air springs, HiPer Strut front suspension and Brembo front brakes – all standard
- Available advanced all-wheel-drive system with electronically controlled limited-slip differential
- Standard 19-inch wheels and available 20-inch wheels
- Capless fuel tank filler for easier, cleaner refueling
- Folding rear-seat head restraints that enhance rear visibility
- Safety alert seat that pulses to alert the driver
- Intervening braking system that lessens or avoids the risk of collisions (not available on standard model or Luxury Collection)
- Short- and long-range radar systems that support adaptive cruise control, front/rear automatic brakes and rear cross traffic alert (not available on standard model or Luxury Collection).
XTS is the only luxury sedan with standard Magnetic Ride Control – the world’s fastest-reacting suspension – while the advanced all-wheel-drive system uses Haldex technology with an electronic limited-slip differential to transfer power front-to-back, and side-to-side, along the rear axle. It is available on all three Collections.
The XTS is also the most spacious Cadillac sedan, tailored to provide roominess in a more efficiently sized package. It offers more interior space than midsize luxury cars and is comparable to full-size sedans, particularly in the rear seat area, where it has 40 inches (1,016 mm) of rear legroom. That’s about four more inches than the BMW 5 Series, and Mercedes-Benz E-Class, and about two more inches than the Audi A6.
And when it comes to trunk space, the XTS is in a league of its own, with 18 cubic feet (509 L), exceeding both midsize and full-size competitors – more than Audi A6 and A8L, BMW 5 and 7 Series and Mercedes-Benz E- and S-Class. For XTS customers, the cargo advantage means room for five or more suitcases.
XTS design and exterior features
XTS’s hardware and spatial dimensions are the foundational layers that support exceptional surface detail. Multidimensional elements, including the grille, headlamps and accent lighting, coalesce to give the XTS a presence and attention to detail unlike any Cadillac that has come before it.
The XTS’s surface details also convey a more nuanced design philosophy, bringing elegance with refined, graceful forms and surfaces working harmoniously with established Cadillac linear forms. Additional features include:
- Unique “Twin-Turbo” grille and deck lid identification on Vsport models
- Heated outside mirrors with auto-dimming feature, power folding, turn-signal indicators and puddle lamps are standard on all models
- Premium chrome/satin-chrome grille finish on Platinum Collection
- Intellibeam automatic headlamp control is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
- Illuminating door handles are standard on all Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
- Capless fuel-filling system is standard on all models
- High-intensity discharge headlamps with Twilight Sentinel are standard on all models
- Adaptive Forward Lighting is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections
- LED center high-mounted rear stop lamp is standard on all models
- Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels are standard on the Premium Collections
- Twenty-inch painted aluminum wheels are standard on Vsport Premium and 20-inch aluminum wheels with polished finish and chrome inserts are standard on the Platinum Collection and Vsport Platinum.
Eight exterior colors are offered: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Graphite Metallic, Black Diamond Tricoat, Dark Adriatic Blue Metallic and Cocoa Bronze Metallic (not available through entire model year).
XTS interior features
Like the exterior, the XTS’s cabin extolls a multidimensional philosophy in a bold, elegant design that is also very efficient in the ways it encompasses passengers and cargo. It represents Cadillac’s expression of luxury also in its use of authentic materials and unprecedented connectivity. Platinum Collection models feature a fully wrapped leather interior with microfiber sueded headliner, as well as premium wood trim on the steering wheel, console, center stack, instrument panel and door panels.
Seating trim is offered with Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces or premium Opus full leather – both with perforated detailing. Heated and ventilated seats are also offered. Additional interior features include:
- Revised rear-seat armrest with radio and sunshade controls is standard on the Platinum Collection
- New 22-way power-adjustable front seats with heat, ventilation and massage are available on the Platinum Collection
- Adaptive remote start is standard on all models
- Audio system with Bose® premium eight-speaker sound is standard on the standard model and Luxury Collection
- Bose® Studio Surround Sound with 14-speaker system with energy-efficient amplifier is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on Premium and Platinum Collections
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with free trial period) and HD radio are standard on all models
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections. Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on the base model and Luxury Collection
- Leather-wrapped IP and door trim top pad, along with the center console, is standard on the Platinum Collection
- Color, reconfigurable 12.3-inch gauge cluster with driver information center is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections
- Head-up display with color readouts is standard on the Premium and Platinum Collections
- Illuminated entry and courtesy lighting is standard on all models
- Accent lighting, including LED spotlights with light pipes, is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
- Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces with mini-perforated inserts are standard on the Standard model, Luxury and Premium Collections
- Opus full-leather seats with mini-perforated inserts are standard on the Platinum Collection
- Heated driver/front passenger and outboard rear passenger seats and vented driver/front passenger seats are standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
- Leather-accented steering wheel with wood accents and tap up/tap down transmission controls is standard
- Heated steering wheel is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections
- Power rear window shade and manual rear side window shades are available on the Premium Collection and standard on the Platinum Collection
- Real wood trim is incorporated on all models.
Six interior color/trim combinations are offered:
- Jet Black and Nutella Sapele wood trim; Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces
- Shale with Cocoa accents and Nutella Sapele wood trim; Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces
- Medium Titanium with Jet Black accents and Raven Sapele wood trim; Soleil Keisel leather seating surfaces
- Kona Brown with Jet Black accents and Open Pore Sapele wood trim; Soleil Keisel full leather seats
- Jet Black with Light Wheat accents and Lineate wood trim; Opus full leather seats
- Very Light Platinum with Dark Urban and Cocoa accents, and Nutella Sapele wood trim with inlay; Opus full leather seats.
Cadillac CUE details and new OnStar with 4G LTE
Standard on the XTS, Cadillac CUE pairs entertainment and information data from up to 10 Bluetooth-enabled mobile devices, USBs, SD cards and MP3 players with a vehicle infotainment system that reduces complexity through customized information, voice commands and fewer buttons and larger icons. The comprehensive, in-vehicle experience is designed to be unique for each consumer, from the “simple user” to the fully connected “super user.”
At the heart of CUE, the vibrant, eight-inch-diagonal LCD multi-touch sensitive screen – with proximity sensing and haptic feedback – is seamlessly integrated in the top of the central instrument panel. It displays CUE’s home page, which resembles a smartphone screen, with large, easy-to-target icons that execute commands. Capacitive technology on the screen and faceplate enables consumers to use the same “swipe,” “pinch” or “spread” gestures common to most popular smartphones and tablets.
A navigation system is also available with the Luxury Collection and is standard with the Premium and Platinum Collections.
Additionally, a 12.3-inch (312 mm) reconfigurable instrument cluster is standard on Premium and Platinum Collections. It features vibrant graphic displays showcased among four driver-selectable themes, ranging from minimal to extensive information. And while it is the prominent element in the XTS’s technological character, CUE is part of a more comprehensive and layered approach to the car’s design, capabilities and performance.
Complementing CUE to enhance the XTS’s connectivity is new OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, one year of OnStar Directions and Connections includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as Turn-by-Turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer, simplifying service scheduling.
The Cadillac Twin-Turbo 3.6L V-6 headlines the XTS’s powertrain lineup and is standard on Vsport models, delivering SAE-certified 410 horsepower (306 kW) and 369 lb-ft of torque (500 Nm) – making it one of the most power-dense six-cylinder engines in the segment. A pair of smaller turbochargers and an efficient charge air cooler help provide more immediate power delivery, while peak torque is sustained over a broad range – 1,900 to 5,600 rpm – for a confident feeling of power when accelerating or overtaking traffic on the highway.
The twin-turbo engine is a comprehensive upgrade on the 60-degree, 3.6L DOHC V-6 that is offered as the standard engine in the XTS. However, almost every component is unique:
- All-new cylinder block casting
- Strengthened connecting rods
- Machined, domed aluminum pistons with top steel ring carrier for greater strength
- 10.2:1 compression ratio
- Patented, integrated charge air cooler system with low-volume air ducts
- Two turbochargers produce more than 12 pounds of boost (80 kPa)
- Vacuum-actuated wastegates with electronic control valves
- All-new direct injection fuel system
- Tuned air inlet and outlet resonators, aluminum cam covers and other features that contribute to exceptional quietness and smoothness.
The cylinder heads are also unique to the Cadillac Twin-Turbo. They feature a high-tumble intake port design that enhances the motion of the air charge for a more-efficient burn when it is mixed with the direct-injected fuel and ignited in the combustion chamber.
The XTS’s standard 3.6L V-6 is rated at 305 horsepower (227 kW) and 264 lb.-ft. of torque (355 Nm). Lightweight features help reduce overall weight for greater efficiency and a more favorable front-to-rear weight balance. Examples include a composite intake manifold that saves approximately 5.5 pounds (2.5 kg) over the weight of a comparable aluminum intake and an integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design that saves approximately 13 pounds (6 kg) per engine.
The engines are matched with six-speed automatic transmissions with tap-shift control.
XTS driving experience
A layered approach to the driving experience relies on new and established technologies – all rooted in a stiff structure. The body is infused with strategically placed, ultra-high-strength steel for strength and crash protection, and serves as the foundation for the advanced chassis system.
A smart all-wheel-drive system with Haldex technology – with an electronic limited-slip differential that splits torque between the rear wheels – complements an advanced HiPer Strut front suspension and standard Magnetic Ride Control real-time damping to give the XTS sure-footed, confident and comfortable ride and handling traits. The rear suspension comprises a linked H-arm design with “air springs.”
HiPer Strut is based on the MacPherson strut front suspension design and features dual-path top mountings that separate the transfer of spring and damper loads to the body structure. It improves ride-and-handling characteristics in four significant ways:
- Provides more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control
- Improves impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces
- Reduces torque steer
- Improves vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel imbalance.
Magnetic Ride Control delivers precise body motion control – “reading” the road every millisecond and changing damping in just five milliseconds. It replaces conventional mechanical-valve shocks with electronically controlled shocks filled with a magneto-rheological fluid containing minute iron particles. Under the presence of magnetic charge, the iron particles align to provide damping resistance almost instantly.
A premium electric, variable-assist power steering gear is employed with all front-wheel-drive models. It is designed to deliver excellent response and on-center characteristics, while enhancing efficiency by drawing energy only when the wheels are turned.
StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on all models, along with variable-effort steering and four-wheel disc brakes (front Brembo brakes) with four-channel anti-lock brakes – all features that add important layers of control to the driving experience. Like Magnetic Ride Control, XTS borrows the Brembo braking technology from Cadillac’s V-Series of high-performance models.
The brake disc rotors are manufactured with a process that protects against rust. It involves super-heating the rotors to more than 1,000 degrees F (560 C) for an entire day in a special oven, where the nitrogen-rich atmosphere promotes nitrogen atoms to bond to the rotors’ surfaces, hardening and strengthening them.
Cadillac XTS provides a standard NHTSA 5-Star overall crash safety rating, the highest safety rating available.
In addition, Cadillac provides available advanced safety in the based on Cadillac’s “control and alert” strategy that employs advanced technologies – including radar, cameras and ultrasonic sensors – to help prevent crashes. The safety features bolster driver vision and awareness of road hazards, and can even help the driver avert potential crashes. In certain situations, Cadillac’s advanced crash-avoidance systems, such as automatic braking, can pre-fill and automatically apply braking in response to potential hazards.
Among the most sophisticated of the features is front and rear automatic braking. It relies on radar, camera and ultrasonic technology to help the driver prevent front and rear low-speed collisions via a progression of alerts that extend to complete braking, if necessary.
Many of the advanced safety features are bundled in the Driver Awareness and Driver Assist packages. The Driver Awareness package is standard with the Premium and Platinum Collections and available on Luxury. It includes:
- Safety alert seat
- Lane departure warning
- Lane keep assist (new for 2015) – FWD models only
- Side blind zone alert
- Rear cross-traffic alert
- Forward collision alert.
The Driver Assist package is standard on the Platinum Collection and available on the Premium Collection. It includes all of the Driver Awareness package content, plus full-speed range adaptive cruise control and front and rear automatic braking.
Additional safety features include dual-stage frontal air bags, knee air bags, side-impact air bags, head-curtain air bags and seat side-impact air bags for outboard rear passengers. Also, a rearview camera with dynamic guidelines is standard on Luxury, Premium and Platinum Collections. Head-up display and full-speed adaptive cruise control are available.
The XTS also offers automatic parking assist (FWD models), which enables the car to park itself in parallel spaces. It uses ultrasonic sensors to locate a suitable space and maneuver the car into the space. The driver is required to only engage reverse and apply the accelerator and brake pedals.
Adaptive forward lighting, which turns the headlamps with the direction of the front wheels, and Intellibeam, which automatically deploys high-beam headlamps when needed and instantly turns them down when oncoming traffic is detected, are standard on Premium and Platinum Collections.