BUICK REGAL GS BALANCES PREMIUM PERFORMANCE AND EFFICIENCY
The Buick Regal GS injects more performance into the Buick sedan lineup, but in an efficient and responsible way: It blends a 270-horsepower (201 kW) high-output Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine; six-speed standard automatic transmission; responsive Interactive Drive Control System suspension technology with exclusive GS-mode; Brembo front calipers; 19-inch wheels and other performance features – and still achieves an EPA-estimated 27 mpg on the highway.
Regal GS also is priced thousands less than its import competitors, for today’s enthusiasts who value a dollar as much as they do horsepower. The torque from Regal GS’s exclusive Ecotec 2.0L high-output turbocharged engine provides more launch force than the Acura TSX V-6, Audi A4 Sport, Lexus IS 250 and 350, Infiniti G25, Volkswagen CC and the Volvo S60 T5.
Named a Ward’s 2012 10 Best Engine, the Regal GS Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine delivers the highest specific output of any production engine GM has ever offered, and at 135 horsepower per liter, it is the most power-dense engine ever certified by the Society of Automotive Engineers.
For 2013, the Regal GS gets a standard six-speed automatic transmission; buyers have the option of a six-speed manual at no additional charge. It also continues to offer Buick’s IntelliLink in-vehicle communications system standard and adds IntelliLink to the available GPS-enabled navigation radio.
Buick’s exclusive Interactive Drive Control System is standard on the Regal GS, and allows drivers to choose from three operating modes – Standard, Sport and GS Mode – that change the suspension settings and steering sensitivity according to driver preferences.
Regal GS also features a four-wheel independent suspension with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPer Strut) front suspension design that improves ride and handling by reducing torque steer; improving vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel balance; more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control; and improved impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces.
A lower ride height, 19-inch, 5-Twin Spoke alloy wheels (20-inch, 5-Twin Spoke polished alloy wheels with summer-rated performance tires are available) and four-piston Brembo front calipers also contribute to the GS’ performance persona.
Regal GS design
Exclusive design cues inside and out distinguish the Regal GS from other Regal models, beginning with a slightly lowered ride height (10 mm) that projects a sportier stance.
Regal GS also wears unique body color front and rear fascias , with the front fascia incorporating prominent, vertical air intake slots accented in a satin-metallic finish. The rear fascia has a pair of integrated, satin-metallic trapezoidal exhaust outlets. Body color rocker panel extensions, rear spoiler and GS decklid badge also are exclusive to GS.
Inside, the Regal GS features an exclusive ebony interior; satin-finish elements on the instrument panel; steering wheel and console; leather-appointed GS sport bucket seats and accent stitching; GS instrument panel badge; sport pedals; GS embroidered floor mats; and a three-spoke; leather-wrapped performance-inspired steering wheel.
Regal GS interior – standard and available features
- Standard seven-inch color touch screen radio with Buick IntelliLink, AM/FM/Sirius XM (three months of service) stereo with CD player and auxiliary input jack, USB port and Bluetooth wireless connectivity for select phones
- Eight standard air bags, including rear-seat thorax air bags
- Passive keyless entry with push-button start
- Harman/kardon premium 336-watt, 5.1 Matrix Surround Sound system and nine speakers
- Heated driver and front passenger seats , with 12-way adjustable driver and front passenger seats – including four-way lumbar adjustment.
- 120-volt accessory power outlet
- Cruise control
- Power windows with driver and front passenger express up/down
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Electric parking brake
- Ice blue ambient lighting
- Power windows with express up/down feature in the front and express down in the rear
- Front and rear ultrasonic parking assist
- Bi-Xenon HID headlamps with flash-to-pass feature, auto on/off, auto delay, warning buzzer
- OnStar (with six months of Directions and Connections service).
Buick IntelliLink is standard on all Regal GS audio systems, and uses Bluetooth wireless connectivity or USB to connect the driver’s smart phone to a seven-inch, high-resolution, full-color touch screen display radio.
IntelliLink allows smart phone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls. It also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services such as PANDORA ® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio ®.
A new XM Travel Link feature includes fuel locations with pricing information, weather information, and movie theater locations. A SiriusXM subscription is required.
IntelliLink allows Buick customers to customize how and when they want their music and news/talk programming. It also seamlessly integrates portable devices while they are safely stowed, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
IntelliLink complements the safety, security and connectivity services of OnStar, also standard on all Regal models. With a simple button touch, voice command or via an app downloadable for certain smartphones, Regal owners can access popular OnStar services such as Turn-by-Turn navigation and Destination Download, hands-free calling, remote door unlock, vehicle diagnostics, emergency assistance and much more.
For 2013, Regal GS also adds an audio system with available GPS-enabled navigation, when ordered with the available sunroof. It consists of IntelliLink connectivity, an AM/FM/SiriusXM stereo, single CD/DVD player and MP3 player, USB port, Radio Data System and auxiliary input jack.
Other available interior features include a tilt-sliding sunroof with sunshade.
Efficient, high-output turbocharged engine
The Regal GS turbo delivers the responsiveness and acceleration of a V-6 with the fuel economy of a 2.0L four-cylinder engine. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 27 mpg on the highway with the standard six-speed automatic transmission.
Power for the Regal GS comes from a high-output version of the Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged dual overhead cam engine with continuously variable valve timing and direct-injection technology.
The Regal GS is rated at 270 horsepower (201 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400 Nm). Peak torque is achieved at a relatively low 2400 rpm; 95 percent of peak torque is available between 2,300 and 4,900 rpm.
Direct injection technology helps the engine deliver more power through increased efficiency, while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions. That means less fuel is consumed and lower emissions generated – including a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions. Variable valve timing optimizes power, efficiency and emissions across the entire rpm band.
A six-speed automatic transmission with driver shift control is standard on the Regal GS and a six-speed manual transmission is available.
Chassis and suspension
The Regal GS rides on a wheelbase of 107.8 inches (2738 mm) that delivers refined, well-balanced vehicle dynamics. It also features a four-wheel-independent suspension, with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPer Strut) front suspension design to help reduce torque steer, improve grip and maintain negative camber during cornering.
In addition, the Regal GS’ ride height was lowered 10 mm, and spring and stabilizer bar rates raised by 20 percent, for more responsive handling.
At the rear, the four-link independent rear suspension is designed to minimize unwanted toe and camber effects. Both front and rear dampers incorporate active Computer Damping Control (CDC), which continuously changes damper characteristics to maintain optimal vehicle ride control over varying road surfaces and profiles.
A powerful sedan demands powerful braking capability. Regal GS features a four-wheel disc brake system with Brembo four-piston front calipers, larger ventilated front discs and high-performance linings.
Regal GS is equipped with standard StabiliTrak stability control system with integrated, full-function traction control.
Interactive Drive Control System
The Regal GS’ Interactive Drive Control System adapts damping and other driving functions to drivers’ preferences. While the Regal Turbo offers Interactive Drive Control with the choice of a standard adaptive setting, a more comfortable Tour mode and a Sport mode, the system in the Regal GS is deliberately tuned for those who enjoy a higher level of performance:
- Standard : Delivers ideal all-round performance, while maintaining comfort characteristics for everyday driving.
- Sport : Features a firmer level of suspension damping and reduces body roll for more agility.
- GS : Readies the car for dynamic, enthusiast-level driving. Increased steering efforts provide more direct feedback to the driver, while increased damping levels ensure ultimate wheel control and reduced body roll for ultimate agility. Only the GS mode will alter the shift feel on an automatic transmission.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Regal GS offers standard and available safety features designed to protect occupants before, during and after a crash. Safety-enhancing features include:
- Eight standard air bags including dual-stage frontal and side-impact air bags, rear-seat thorax side-impact air bags and head curtain side-impact air bags
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and a ir bag passenger sensing system to detect the presence of a small adult or child in the front passenger seat
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control to help drivers maintain vehicle control in certain driving situations, and help mitigate rollover crashes
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with brake assist and traction control
- Daytime running lamps for improved visibility to other vehicles as well as pedestrians
- LATCH system for safe and secure attachment of child safety seats
- Standard ultrasonic front and rear parking assist with audible warning
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Regal GS. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Regal GS also comes with new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.