Divisional Brand Communications
Brand and product communications interns assist the divisional communications teams with various activities that promote key vehicles and support summer launch and marketing events. They take an active role in developing brand strategy, creating awareness and consideration with key audiences, participating in brainstorming and executing communications plans.
- Support vehicle launch planning and related media outreach and activities
- Represent the brand and attend divisional media ride-and-drive and racing events
- Assist with various conference sponsorship activities including project management and onsite support
- Mine, pitch and place interesting and targeted divisional “stories”
- Write and develop divisional media materials for GM’s media website http://media.gm.com
- Write posts for divisional and corporate social media channels
- Engage in social media and influencer outreach, on behalf of the brand
- Utilize analytics and media measurement to develop strategies and measure effectiveness
Manufacturing Communications interns work directly with plant and union leadership to engage employees, drive business results and represent GM and its brands in our plant city communities. This internship provides insight into the importance of manufacturing to the economy and how communications can strengthen behaviors and results that benefit our employees, communities and customers.
- Work with joint plant leadership to develop robust internal/external communications plans that support key business objectives and strengthen GM’s reputation in local communities
- Develop focused, compelling content and opportunities for dialogue to engage employees in support of product launches and plant business objectives
- Publish communications materials such as plant newsletters and news releases. Assist with photography, newsletter design and distribution
- Work with community organizations and key stakeholders to boost involvement and nurture relationships
- Mine and place external brand stories about GM products, customer-focused innovations and corporate social responsibility initiatives
- Work with GM’s Global Manufacturing staffs in 170 plants around the world to support a global project TBD
GM News Operations
General Motors has many professionals who help to manage and extend the reach of its news every day. The corporate News Operations Team is GM’s center of expertise and assists their communications colleagues in effective storytelling. This news-loving intern will rotate through and support the corporate, broadcast, news bureau and social media teams to help tell GM and its divisional brand “stories” throughout the summer.
- Creatively tell GM’s “stories” through its social media channels, media sites and media pitches
- Utilize media analytics and other research to provide strategic media counsel
- Help extend corporate news on GM’s corporate social media channels as well as developing relationships with influential bloggers
- Assist broadcast team with video shoots, story development and media pitching
- Organize and lead a corporate news activity
- Provide assistance with various news announcements and events such as Corporate Quarterly Earnings and others
The technology communications intern will work within the various pillars of GM’s technology communications through a rotational assignment to include time with the Global Connected Customer Experience, Technology and Safety Communications teams. The student will develop content for various activities, and help with event planning to promote key technologies that help drive purchase consideration including OnStar 4G LTE, Apple Car Play and Android Auto, as well as new infotainment systems for Chevy, Buick, GMC and Cadillac vehicles.
- In support of vehicle brands, mine, pitch and place interesting and targeted brand technology “stories”
- Support product launch planning and related media outreach and activities of new technologies
- Help extend technology news through developing relationships with influential bloggers
- Write press releases and other internal and external content
- Provide assistance with various news announcements and events
- Creatively tell GM’s “tech stories” through its social media channels including writing blog posts