OnStar has responded to repeated consumer requests by offering its industry leading safety, security and connectivity services for non-GM and older GM vehicles already on the road. A standalone rearview mirror packing all of OnStar’s core technology is now available through consumer electronics retailers, and is compatible with most top-selling vehicles from major manufacturers.
OnStar FMV offers the key features that have made OnStar’s “blue button” an icon, including Automatic Crash Response, Turn-by-Turn Navigation, Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance, one-button access to emergency and roadside services, and hands-free calling, including Bluetooth connectivity.
OnStar FMV is offered in the United States through Best Buy and other consumer electronic retail outlets. The mirror is priced at $299, plus installation (expected to cost between $50 and $100). Subscriptions will adhere to the traditional OnStar service plans starting at $18.95 a month or $199 a year.
Ingram Micro will serve as the key distributor of this product and is the main contact for interested retail outlets.
Currently, the OnStar mirror is certified to work on more than 90 million of the 100 best-selling (non-GM) vehicles sold over the last 10 years, which equates to more than 75 models. OnStar expects to certify additional models in the months ahead.
Key features of the OnStar mirror include:
· Automatic Crash Response. An accelerometer built into OnStar the mirror detects the sudden shock of an impact from the front, side, or rear of the vehicle and automatically calls an OnStar advisor. If the driver doesn’t respond, or responds to say there has been a crash, an OnStar advisor will direct emergency responders to the exact GPS location of the vehicle.
· Link to Emergency Services. By pressing OnStar’s red emergency button, drivers are immediately connected to a specially trained emergency advisor for assistance in situations occurring inside or outside of their vehicle.
· Stolen Vehicle Location Assistance. If the vehicle is reported stolen to local law enforcement, OnStar subscribers can call 1-888-4-OnStar (1-888-466-7827) from any phone. OnStar advisors, available 24/7, can attempt to locate the vehicle through the mirror’s internal GPS and provide the location to law enforcement.
· Turn-by-Turn Navigation. With OnStar’s most popular service, drivers can press OnStar’s blue button and ask OnStar advisors for directions to a specific location or ask the advisor to find a point of interest such as a gas station or nearby restaurant. The directions are then downloaded to the OnStar system, which provides spoken turn-by-turn directions for reaching the destination.
· Roadside Assistance. In non-emergency situations, drivers can push the blue button or call 1-888-4-ONSTAR for help with problems such as keys locked in the vehicle, a flat tire, or running out of gas.
· Hands-Free Calling. OnStar allows drivers to make hands-free, voice-activated calls through prepaid packages of minutes purchased through OnStar.
· Bluetooth. A built in Bluetooth connection allows drivers to set up Hands-Free Calling through their Bluetooth enabled phone.
All these services are available directly through the OnStar mirror, without requiring the driver to bring along a mobile phone or even own a mobile phone. In the event of an accident, emergency services are alerted even if there is no mobile phone in the vehicle, the phone is damaged in a crash or the driver is unable to use a phone.
OnStar is now in its ninth generation of technology. The first-generation OnStar product in 1996 was comprised of 38 individual components and could take up to four days to install. Now all of the technology required to deliver the OnStar experience fits inside a rearview mirror weighing only 23 ounces, and professional installation is expected to take less than an hour. This requires removing the vehicle’s current rearview mirror, replacing it with the OnStar product and running an electric power source to the new mirror.
For more information on OnStar’s innovation, the new OnStar mirror and a list of the compatible vehicles at launch, visit http://www.onstar.com/web/fmv/home
# # #