2013 GMC TERRAIN LINEUP ADDS DISTINCTIVE DENALI, COLOR TOUCH NAVIGATION AND NEW 3.6L V-6
GMC is expanding its exclusive Denali sub-brand with the 2013 Terrain Denali, bringing a new level of style and power to the luxury small SUV segment. It is distinguished with unique exterior and interior appointments, exclusive wheels and the radar-based safety technologies Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert.
Across the Terrain lineup for 2013, a larger-displacement 3.6L V-6 engine with direct injection and continuously variable valve timing is offered. SAE certified at 301 horsepower (224 kW) and 272 lb.-ft. (369 Nm) of torque, this engine makes 14 percent more horsepower and 22 percent more torque than the previous 3.0L V-6, but delivers the same EPA-estimated fuel economy – including 24 mpg on the highway (FWD models).
The standard engine in Terrain and Terrain Denali is the Ecotec 2.4L four-cylinder, which also features direct injection and camshaft phasing to optimize performance and fuel efficiency.
Terrain is offered in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models, in SLE and SLT trim levels, as well as the new Denali. All models include four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control, as well as six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags; head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags.
GMC’s infotainment technologies are standard on Denali and available on other models, including a color touch radio with IntelliLink. This new infotainment system features a reconfigurable home screen, intuitive voice commands, Bluetooth smartphone integration, control of streaming internet radio apps such as Pandora and Stitcher , as well as iPod controls with Gracenote music database technology.
For 2013, a new Safety Package is available and includes Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Rear Park Assist. Also new is a universal home remote and four exterior colors:
- Atlantis Blue Metallic
- Champagne Silver Metallic
- Ashen Grey Metallic
- Iridium Metallic.
The Terrain’s bold look is amplified with the signature cues that distinguish GMC’s premium Denali sub-brand, including a chrome grille, body-color fascias and rocker moldings, satin-chrome accents, specific headlamp and taillamp designs, and dual chrome-finish exhaust outlets (single outlet with the 2.4L). Unique 18-inch (with the 2.4L) or 19-inch (with the 3.6L) wheels complete the look.
Inside, Terrain Denali’s cabin updates are highlighted by soft-touch Jet Black leather, which lines the seats and door inserts. Contrast stitching and red accent lighting contribute to an inviting interior. Other Denali-exclusive interior details include:
- Soft-touch instrument panel with French stitching
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with smoked mahogany wood accents
- Embossed Denali logos on front seatbacks
- Smoked mahogany wood trim accents
- Denali illuminated front sill plates
- Eight-way power driver and passenger seat
- Standard sunroof.
New dual-flow dampers are exclusive to the Terrain Denali’s suspension system. This technology provides a smoother ride and improved handling by controlling suspension dampening across a broader range of driving conditions.
Forward collision alert and lane departure warning are standard on Terrain Denali. They use the industry’s first single-camera crash-avoidance system to visually and audibly warn drivers when a collision is imminent or the vehicle crosses a lane marker. Also standard are Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, which help avoid collisions by using radar to watch spots the driver may not be able to see – and provide visible and audible warnings.
Convenience features, including a programmable power liftgate, are included on Terrain Denali. At the touch of a button, owners can access the vehicle’s 63.9 cubic feet of cargo space (behind the first row), while a memory function stops the liftgate at a chosen height to help shorter drivers or accommodate low garage heights.
Available technologies include Color Touch Navigation and a rear-seat entertainment system.
Terrain design and exterior features
Terrain offers a commanding view of the road and strikes a balanced, athletic stance that is characterized by bold, muscular fender flares. The surfacing is angular yet refined, with a strong front-end appearance that features precise, squared-off edges accented with chrome.
Additional exterior features include:
- Body-color mirrors and door handles on SLE and SLT-1
- Chrome Package on SLT-2 with chrome door handles, mirror caps and luggage rails
- Fog lamps are standard on all models
- Projector-beam headlamps and foglamps are standard on all models
- Seventeen-inch aluminum wheels are standard on SLE and SLT-1 models
- Eighteen-inch chrome-clad wheels are standard on SLT-2 and available on SLE-2 and SLT-1
- Nineteen-inch chrome-clad wheels are available on SLE-2 and SLT models with the 3.6L engine
- Programmable power liftgate that can be set to open to a lower height to clear garage obstructions or make it easier to reach for those of shorter stature.
Terrain exterior colors include: Quicksilver Metallic, Onyx Black, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Carbon Black Metallic, Summit White, Gray Green Metallic, Ashen Gray Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic, Atlantis Blue Metallic and Iridium Metallic.
Terrain Denali is offered exclusively in Quicksilver Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Carbon Black Metallic, Summit White and Iridium Metallic.
Terrain interior features
Terrain has a premium interior influenced by industrial sculpture, with contrasting stitching and fine materials that create a structured look throughout the cabin. A “floating” center stack, highlighted by warm, ambient lighting, houses ergonomic comfort and convenience controls.
The standard and segment-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat can be moved fore or aft nearly eight inches (200 mm), providing increased passenger comfort or greater rear cargo capacity, while the 60/40-split rear seatback offers additional configurations for passengers and cargo. The rear cargo area offers 31.6 cubic feet (894 liters) of storage, as well as one of the Terrain’s four auxiliary power outlets.
GMC IntelliLink combines with OnStar to bring segment-exclusive infotainment technology to Terrain at a time more and more consumers are buying smartphones. IntelliLink extends the OnStar experience from safety and security to information and entertainment by seamlessly integrating the capability of a smartphone into the vehicle so that hand-held phones may be safely stowed while driving. IntelliLink features:
- Enhanced hands-free voice control system powered by Nuance ® , which allows simple voice commands to initiate phone calls and select radio stations or media from portable MP3 players and smart phones.
- PANDORA Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio allow users to create personalized radio stations based on favorite artists or genres. IntelliLink integrates control of both of these apps for a driver-directed listening experience.
- Gracenote ® identifies the music collection on the driver’s USB device, MP3 player or smart phone and presents information such as artist name, genres and album cover art on the IntelliLink screen.
- Upgraded USB connectivity adds the ability to play music files directly from flash memory devices, and gives the customer the ability to update IntelliLink with future feature enhancements.
New for 2013 is GMC’s color touch navigation radio, with touch-screen control that incorporates all of the IntelliLink features and more. It is available on SLE-2, SLT models and Terrain Denali. SiriusXM Satellite Radio (with three-month trial period) is standard on all Terrain models.
Additional interior features include:
- Automatic climate control is standard on SLE-2, SLT models and Denali
- Color touch radio with seven-inch touch-screen display, USB and auxiliary inputs is standard on all models
- Premium Pioneer sound system with subwoofer and amplifier is standard on SLE-2, SLT models and Denali
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on SLT-2 and Denali
- Ambient lighting around the door handles, center console and cup holders is standard on all models
- Heated driver and front passenger seats are standard on SLT models and Denali and available SLE-2.
- Tilting and telescoping steering column is standard on all models
- Universal home remote is standard on SLT-2 and Denali and available on SLT-1
- A sunroof is standard on SLT-2 and Denali.
Interior color choices include Jet Black, Light Titanium and Brownstone. Terrain Denali is offered exclusively in Jet Black.
Both the standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.6L V-6 in the GMC Terrain feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing technology. The 2 .4L delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with an EPA-estimated highway fuel economy rating of 32 mpg (on FWD version) and more than 500 miles of highway-only cruising range per tank. E85 FlexFuel capability is available on vehicles with federal emissions.
The 3.6L is rated at 301 horsepower (224 kW) and 272 lb.-ft. of torque (369 Nm). This new engine uses lightweight components that contribute to the Terrain’s fuel efficiency while boosting its horsepower. An integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design saves about 13 pounds compared to a non-integrated design, while a composite intake manifold saves about 5.5 pounds vs. an aluminum intake. Additionally, a lightweight structural front cover and high-strength connecting rods save additional weight.
E85 FlexFuel capability is available on vehicles with federal emissions.
An efficient six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models and an “Eco” transmission mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel economy.
Chassis and suspension
Terrain is built on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. These elements create a solid, quiet driving experience.
The strong structure supports a four-wheel independent suspension system that – with a long, 112.5-inch (2,857 mm) wheelbase and wide front and rear tracks – contributes to car-like ride and handling traits. The long wheelbase and wide tracks reduce body roll for a more stable driving experience.
Additional features include:
- Rack-mounted ZF electric power steering gear on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.6L V-6-equipped models
- Available all-wheel drive
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control helps keeps the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock brakes with traction control.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The GMC Terrain is built on a solid structure that includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash. And it is equipped with safety features designed to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one, including:
- Six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags
- Stardard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation.
- Standard rear-vision camera that helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Forward collision alert is standard on SLT-2 and Denali and available on SLE-2 and SLT-1
- Lane departure warning is standard on SLT-2 and Denali and available on SLE-2 and SLT-1
- Side Blind Zone Alert is standard on Denali
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert is standard on Denali.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Terrain. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Terrain also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.