2009 GMC SIERRA ADDS SIX-SPEED AUTOMATIC, ENHANCED CONVENIENCE FEATURES
GMC Sierra continues to lead the industry in fuel economy, capability and power, all delivered with responsive ride and handling traits, and an exceptionally quiet driving experience. The lineup includes everything from job-ready Work Truck models to the unique combination of performance and luxury that is the Sierra Denali.
For 2009, the Sierra lineup enhances its segment-best fuel economy with a new six-speed automatic that is paired with V-8 engines (except the 4.8L). Additionally, the 6.2L engine previously exclusive to the Sierra Denali is offered on SLT crew cab models; it is also more powerful than last year’s model and E85-capable. Other new features and content changes give customer more choices that support both safety and convenience.
“The ’09 Sierra lineup defines the essence of GMC,” said Susan Docherty, Buick-Pontiac-GMC vice president. “Its wide range of models offers the right truck for every need, but each does its job with characteristic refinement and dependability.”
A Sierra Hybrid model also is available beginning in 2009 and it delivers a 25-percent improvement in overall fuel economy while offering Sierra’s traditional capabilities – including a 6,100-pound (2,767 kg) towing capacity. Please see the separate Sierra Hybrid release for complete details and specifications.
New six-speed automatic transmission
A new Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission rolls out into the Sierra lineup. It helps the Sierra achieve better fuel efficiency on the highway through lower “cruising” rpm – less fuel is used with the lower engine speed. The reduced engine speed also enhances the interior’s quietness.
The 6L80 transmission debuts at the start of the model year’s production as standard equipment on Sierra crew cab models equipped with the 5.3L, 6.0L and 6.2L engines; the 6.2L-powered Sierra Denali crew cab was already equipped with the transmission. Later in the ’09 model year, the six-speed transmission will migrate to regular cab and extended cab models with the 5.3L and 6.0L engines.
2009 new features and changes
In addition to the new six-speed automatic transmission, a host of new features and revisions across the Sierra lineup gives customers more choices. The new features include:
- 6.2L V-8 available on SLT crew cab models – Previously exclusive to the Sierra Denali, the 6.2L engine is now offered on SLT crew cab models, including the All Terrain; and new for ’09, it is E85 FlexFuel-capable
- New 18-inch and 20-inch chrome-clad wheels – The new-design wheels add contemporary options for style-conscious buyers; the 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheel is a new addition to the lineup, while the new 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheel replaces a previous machine-face design
- New Sierra 1500 exterior colors – Carbon Black Metallic and Midnight Blue Metallic are added to the palette, replacing Medium Brown Metallic and Deep Blue Metallic, respectively; and Sonoma Red Metallic replaces Fire Red Metallic on Sierra All-Terrain
- New Sierra Denali exterior colors – Steel Gray Metallic replaces Silver Birch Metallic and Sonoma Red Metallic is added
- OnStar 8.0 – The latest-generation OnStar system offers advanced features, including Turn-by-Turn Navigation and new, Destination Download that automatically downloads requested directions to the Sierra navigation system
- Bluetooth phone connectivity – Available with OnStar 8.0, it enables safer, hands-free calling, with controls on the steering wheel; it is standard on SLT models and available on SLE
- XM Satellite Radio with NavTraffic – Available with the standard XM Satellite Radio service, the new NavTraffic feature delivers real-time traffic advisements through the navigation system
- Rearview camera system – Extended cab and crew cab customers can select this safety device that can be ordered with or without the navigation system; it provides a remote view directly behind the vehicle via a 3.5-inch screen inside the rearview mirror
- Heated/cooled seats – Available on Sierra Denali, these leather-trimmed front seats incorporate both heating and cooling features that increase comfort in all climates
Changes and revisions to previous models and equipment packages include:
- Integrated trailer brake controller is available on regular cab models (not available with the 4.3L engine)
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system now standard on all models except with the 4.3L V-6 engine
- New 20-inch chrome-clad wheels are available on SLE models
- SLE1 trim becomes SLE; SLE2 trim discontinued
- A number of features are added to the SLT’s standard equipment list:
- Automatic locking rear differential
- Heavy-duty trailering equipment
- Eighteen-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels
- Remote vehicle starting system
- Bluetooth phone connectivity
Sierra lineup at a glance
Sierra 1500 is available in several trim packages, including Work Truck, SL (crew cab only), SLE and SLT, along with 2WD and 4WD configurations. Three cab styles – regular, extended and crew cab – and three cargo box lengths – 5 foot 8 inches, 6 foot 6 inches and 8 foot – are offered.
The unique Sierra Denali, a truck that fuses performance and unmatched luxury, also returns for 2009. It is a distinct model, with features that elevate its performance and design, such as a 6.2L all-aluminum V-8 engine with E85 FlexFuel capability, variable valve timing and a six-speed automatic transmission.
New SLT standard equipment for 2009 includes a six-speed automatic transmission, including heavy-duty cooling; automatic locking rear differential; heavy-duty trailering package; 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels; remote vehicle starting system and Bluetooth connectivity for phones.
Returning for ’09 is the Sierra All-Terrain. This special model is based on the popular Z71 Off Road package and offers a distinctive, eye-catching combination of style and refinement. It is outfitted with special shocks, unique four-bar grille, exclusive leather-appointed interior, 18-inch chrome wheels and more (see Sierra All-Terrain section below).
Sierra fuel economy
Sierra will continue to offer the broadest engine lineup and the best fuel economy in the full-size truck segment, including the best V-8 fuel economy with the 5.3L V-8. No other competitor in the class offers 300 horsepower and EPA-rated 20 mpg in estimated highway fuel economy.
The 2009 GMC Sierra is designed with a strong and refined appearance befitting the brand’s professional grade philosophy, including muscular character lines and rounded edges. The front-end appearance, front fenders, hood and rear fenders are unique. A “center-focused” hood, which flows outward to meet the front fenders and stamped-in rear wheel flares, enhances the muscular look.
All models except the work truck model come with a distinctive chrome hood molding. Sierra’s grille is complemented by large, jeweled-appearance headlamps. Sierra SLT models come with a chrome front bumper with a body-color top cap. All door handles feature large, grab-style designs that are easy to open with gloves.
A family of 17-, 18- and 20-inch factory-installed wheels and tires is available throughout the Sierra range, with Sierra Denali offering unique wheels (see Sierra Denali section below). Also available are bright-finish 22-inch wheels that are available as a dealer-installed option.
Spacious, refined interior
Sierra models are more spacious with increased storage space, as well as flush surfaces, tight gaps and tolerances, and improved comfort and convenience. Sierra Work Truck and SLE come with a “pure pickup” interior that features larger controls and door handles that are easy to use with gloves. SLE models are equipped with a standard 40/20/40-split front bench seat that features a fold-down armrest and storage compartment.
A large-capacity “double” glove box is integrated into the instrument panel on work truck and SLE models. Cloth seats are standard on SLE models and available on Work Trucks; leather seating is available on SLE models. Work Truck models are offered in a Dark Titanium interior color; SLE models are offered in an all-Ebony interior color, or Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Ebony/Light Cashmere combinations.
SLT models feature a luxury-inspired interior with unique instrument panel, door panels, larger-capacity center console and other distinct trim. Heated, 10-way power-adjustable driver's seat, leather seating surfaces and Bose speaker system are standard. Crew cab SLT models add a rear-seat audio system. SLT interior color schemes include all-Ebony, Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere combinations.
Standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models is a stadium-style rear seat with a 60/40-split design. It can be easily folded up to provide an uninterrupted load floor. Or, either section of the split seat can be stowed independently, allowing room for both cargo and a rear-seat passenger. Entry to the rear seat/storage area of extended cab models is eased with rear access doors that open 170 degrees.
A variety of useful convenience items are available on SLE and SLT models, including a touch-screen navigation radio, power-operated sunroof, power-sliding rear window and XM Satellite Radio. A rear-seat entertainment system is available on crew cab SLE and SLT models, and all models are available with a variety of radio systems. XM Satellite Radio is standard on all models.
Responsive driving experience
The 2009 GMC Sierra delivers stability and driving confidence from a boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Five suspension systems are available, each tailored to suit specific driving requirements. They include:
- Z83 – Delivers a solid, smooth ride with 35mm-piston, twin-tube shocks and a 32mm front stabilizer bar
- Z85 – Designed for enhanced handling and trailer towing, with 46mm-piston, monotube shocks and a 34mm front stabilizer bar
- Z71 – Delivers enhanced off-road capability; features 46mm shocks, off-road jounce bumpers and a 34mm front stabilizer bar; the package also includes a skid plate, heavy-duty air cleaner and Z71 decals on the rear fenders
- Z60 – Designed for maximum street performance and offered with 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels
- NHT – Designed for maximum towing capacity
GM’s sophisticated StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps mitigate the occurrence of rollover events; it is standard on all models except with the 4.3L V-6 – and is a segment exclusive. Partnered with an improved, high-capacity brake system and four-channel, four-sensor electronic brake controls, the system provides more precise, controlled ABS stops, as well as enhanced traction/yaw stability.
Integrated brake controller
The integrated trailer brake controller is available on regular cab, extended cab and crew cab models. It is integrated with the ABS system and provides immediate and measured brake force signaling to the electric-controlled trailer brake system. There is no requirement for external and/or aftermarket brake control systems. The brake controller switch is conveniently mounted on the lower-left section of the instrument panel.
Sierra models are powered by an efficient lineup of engines, led by the segment’s highest-rated V-8 engines. Advanced technologies such as Active Fuel Management (AFM) and variable valve timing (VVT) help Sierra deliver the segment’s best fuel economy. FlexFuel engines are available – and partnered with fuel-saving AFM – giving customers the choice of powering their truck with E85 ethanol, gasoline or a combination of both fuels. Light-duty engine offerings include:
- 4.3L V-6 (LU3), rated at 195 hp (145 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm)
- 4.8L V-8 (LY2), with iron block; rated at 295 hp (220 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (414 Nm)*
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LMG), E85-capable with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 320 hp (240 kW) and 340 lb.-ft. of torque (461 Nm)*
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8 (LC9), E85-capable with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*
- 5.3L V-8 (LH6), with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*
- 5.3L V-8 (LY5), with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp (235 kW) and 338 lb.-ft. of torque (458 Nm)*
- 6.0L V-8 (L76), with aluminum block, variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management, rated at 367 hp (274 kW) and 375 lb.-ft. of torque (508 Nm)*. This engine is available on SLE and SLT extended and crew cab models as part of the enhanced trailering package
- 6.2L V-8 (L9H), E85 FlexFuel-capable with aluminum block and variable valve timing, rated at 403 hp (301 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm)*. This engine is standard on Sierra Denali and available on SLT crew cab models (including All-Terrain)
The engines are backed by proven Hydra-Matic electronically controlled automatic transmissions, including the 4L60 four-speed automatic and the fuel-saving 6L80 six-speed. Previously exclusive to the Sierra Denali with the 6.2L engine, the 6L80 transmission rolls out throughout 2009 to all models equipped with the 5.3L and 6.0L engines.
The six-speed automatic has a wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio – including two overdrive gears – that helps deliver an excellent balance of performance and fuel economy. Also, the 6L80 has a “tap up/tap down” capability that allows the driver to manually select upshifts and downshifts with a button on the column shifter.
Safety and security
As evidenced by its five-star frontal crash test rating from NHTSA, Sierra delivers a perimeter of safety protection through a stronger frame and body structure as well as industry- and segment-leading technology. It also is designed to provide increased compatibility with other vehicles. Features include segment-first StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation technology, head curtain side air bags, which are integrated into strengthened chassis and body structures to provide excellent passenger protection, and segment-first safety belt pretensioners that activate during a rear-end crash. The head curtain side air bags are available on Sierra SLE and SLT models; they are standard on Sierra Denali models.
Driver control dynamics are enhanced by wider front and rear tracks, as well as more responsive suspensions – including a coil-over-shock front suspension design and rack-and-pinion steering. Additional safety features are offered on Sierra, including factory-installed remote vehicle starting (segment exclusive); Autotrac active transfer case to help keep the vehicle sure-footed in slippery driving situations; Ultrasonic rear parking assist and a tire pressure monitoring system.
All retail models come standard with the OnStar Generation 8.0 system, including a one-year subscription to the Safe & Sound plan. The OnStar service includes the Advanced Crash Response System, making crash data available to emergency services to potentially dispatch the appropriate life-saving personnel and equipment to crash scenes faster. If the vehicle is in a crash that activates an air bag, the OnStar system automatically notifies an OnStar advisor, who will check on the occupants or summon emergency help if necessary. OnStar also can assist authorities in locating a vehicle if it is reported stolen and provides remote door-unlocking service (when the vehicle is equipped with power door locks).
Sierra Denali details
The Sierra Denali is offered in 2WD and AWD configurations. It is powered by a 6.2L V-8 engine, rated at 403 horsepower (301 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm).* The engine is paired with the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission. The six-speed automatic has a wide, 6.04:1 overall ratio – including two overdrive gears – that helps deliver an excellent balance of performance and fuel economy. Also, the 6L80 has a “tap up/tap down” capability that allows the driver to manually select upshifts and downshifts with a button on the column shifter.
Sierra Denali also features a 9.5-inch rear axle (2WD) or 8.6-inch rear axle (AWD) with 3.42 gears and a locking rear differential. The specially tuned Z60 suspension, four-wheel disc brakes, StabilTrak, skid plates and tow hooks are standard. Eighteen-inch polished aluminum wheels are standard and unique 20-inch factory-installed chrome-finish aluminum wheels are available. The wheel designs are not shared with other Sierra models.
An iconic, Denali-specific chrome grille makes the truck instantly recognizable. Additional chrome trim and body-color bumpers further distinguish it. Sierra Denali is available in five exterior colors: Onyx Black, Summit White, Fine Silver Birch Metallic, Steel Gray Metallic and Sonoma Red Metallic.
Sierra Denali also offers a unique combination of interior style and luxury, including standard nuance leather-covered front and rear seats, with heated, 12-way power-adjustable front seats, as well as leather trim throughout. A Denali-exclusive leather-wrapped steering wheel, which features wood grain accents and a host of auxiliary controls, is standard. Denali models also feature a unique center console, enhanced interior bright work and detailed, highly finished embossed sill plates that greet passengers when they open any of the Sierra Denali’s doors. The unique center console has wood grain trim that conceals the lid and cupholder pockets, creating a more finished and refined appearance. In addition to a full complement of standard amenities, Sierra Denali offers such exclusive features as an available heated steering wheel and heated/cooled seats. Interior colors include all-Ebony and an exclusive Cocoa/Light Cashmere combination.
Standard features include Bluetooth phone connectivity, rollover-capable head curtain air bags, power-adjustable pedals, electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside mirror, dual-zone automatic climate control, rain-sensing automatic windshield wipers, remote starting system, EZ Lift Tailgate and Ultrasonic rear parking assist. From an entertainment standpoint, Sierra Denali comes standard with an AM/FM MP3-capable radio with a six-disc in-dash CD changer, Bose premium speaker sound system, rear-seat audio and XM Satellite Radio.
Optional features include a rearview camera system, XM Satellite Radio NavTraffic feature, power-sliding rear window, navigation radio system, power sunroof and a DVD-based rear-seat entertainment system.
The Sierra All-Terrain builds on the dynamic Z71 Off-Road package with a roster of stylish, refined and capable features that combine to create a unique truck that’s ready for anything. The All-Terrain is available on extended cab standard box and crew cab models with SLE (with bucket seats) or SLT trim and in either 2WD or 4WD.
Product details include:
- Z71 Off-Road package with skid plates, locking rear differential and high-capacity air cleaner
- Standard 5.3L V-8
- Optional 6.0L V-8 (with transmission cooler and oil cooler)
- Optional 6.2L V-8 with E85 FlexFuel capability on SLT crew cab models
- Heavy-duty trailering package
- 18-inch chrome aluminum wheels
- Unique Rancho Tenneco shocks; white with red letters
- Body-color side moldings with chrome accents
- Unique four-bar horizontal grille insert with chrome grille surround
- “ALL-TERRAIN” badges on the front fenders
- Full-function outside mirrors in body color
- Body-color door handles
- Ebony cloth seating
- Exclusive two-tone leather seat color combination (SLT only)
- Unique instrument cluster with brushed aluminum accents for instrument panel, center console and switch trim plates
- Carpeted floor mats with “All-Terrain” logo and unique sill plates
Sierra All-Terrain is offered in six exterior colors: Steel Gray Metallic, Onyx Black, Stealth Gray Metallic, Summit White, Silver Birch Metallic and new for ’09, Sonoma Red Metallic.
# # #