2012 GMC Acadia Highlights
As it enters its fifth year, GMC Acadia’s efficiency and spaciousness continue to draw more crossover customers, with sales up more than 12 percent for the first four months of 2011.
The 2012 Acadia lineup includes SL, SLE, SLT and Denali models (SLT models are offered in SLT1 and SLT2 trim levels). All models are available in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive with seven- or eight-passenger seating configurations. A comprehensive safety system includes six standard air bags and standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with traction control and rollover mitigation technology.
All models are powered by a 3.6L V-6 VVT engine that uses gasoline direct injection technology to optimize performance and fuel economy. The engine is paired with Acadia’s fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission to help give FWD models an EPA-estimated 24 mpg on the highway. The Acadia also is capable of towing up to 5,200 pounds (2,364 kg), when properly equipped.
For 2012, two new exterior color choices are available: Crystal Red Tintcoat and Stone Gray Metallic. Other changes include revisions to content and trim, including an accessory power outlet added to the center console. In addition, outside mirrors with integral spotter feature are now standard on SLT and Denali and fog lamps and body-color moldings are now standard on SLE, SLT and Denali models.
Also standard on all Denali models for 2012 is hill-hold assist braking technology, which applies the brakes for 1.5 seconds when the driver’s foot leaves the brake pedal on inclines of 5 percent or steeper. To avoid unintended acceleration, an enhanced electronic pedal override reduces power to the engine when the brake and accelerator pedals are depressed at the same time.
Acadia Denali details
The Acadia Denali is available in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models, as well as seven- and eight-passenger seating configurations. It stands out with its signature Denali design cues, highlighted by a monochromatic exterior and chrome honeycomb grille. It also wears a number of specific exterior design cues, including:
- Unique lower front and rear fascias
- High-intensity discharge headlamps
- Body-color lower cladding and rocker moldings
- Body-color rear fascia and fender flares
- Unique bodyside moldings with chrome accents and Denali badges
- Dual chrome exhaust tips
- Twenty-inch two-tone chrome-clad six-spoke wheels.
Acadia Denali also features exclusive design, comfort and convenience features:
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with mahogany wood inserts
- Complementary woodgrain finish on the instrument panel and center stack
- Perforated leather seats with matching leather door panel trim
- Heated and cooled, leather-trimmed driver and passenger seats
- Premium acoustics – laminated glass and liquid applied sound deadeners
- Dual SkyScape sunroof system, with sliding front sunroof and fixed rear section
- Head-up display (HUD)
Acadia design and exterior features
A body-frame integral structure enables lower entry/exit height for Acadia passengers. Despite the vehicle’s SUV-like front-end height, the front door step-in height is only 18.9 inches (480 mm), and the rear door step-in height is 19.8 inches (503 mm). Entry to the second- and third-row seats is easy with very wide rear doors and GM’s exclusive Smart Slide second-row seat feature.
The Acadia’s design is sleek and highlighted by chrome accents and large wheels, including 20-inch wheels on Denali models. Halogen projector-beam headlamps are standard on SL, SLE and SLT models, while Acadia Denali comes with standard high-intensity discharge headlamps (available on SLT). Additional standard and available exterior features include:
- Fog lamps are standard on all models.
- Power liftgate is standard on SLE, SLT and Denali models.
- Chrome door handles are standard on all models.
- Outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding mirrors with driver-side auto-dimming, body-color with integrated turn signal indicators are standard on SLT2 and Denali.
- Eighteen-inch painted aluminum wheels are standard on SL and SLE models.
- Nineteen-inch machined aluminum wheels are standard on SLT models.
- Twenty-inch chrome clad wheels are standard on Denali models.
- Exterior color choices include: Quicksilver Metallic, Dark Blue Metallic, Summit White, Gold Mist Metallic, Carbon Black Metallic, Medium Brown Metallic, Crystal Red Metallic, White Diamond Tricoat and Stone Gray Metallic.
Acadia interior standard and available features
Acadia’s interior has a car-like “low and away” instrument panel that enhances the feeling of openness in the front-row seats and provides a commanding outward view. The instrument panel and other interior elements feature high-quality, low-gloss materials and tight gap tolerances.
All Acadia models offer three rows of seating that can be configured for seven or eight passengers, regardless of the trim level. The seating configurations include two front bucket seats, a 60/40-split second-row bench (three passengers) or two second-row captain’s chairs (two passengers) and a 60/40-split third-row bench seat. GM’s exclusive Smart Slide feature is standard on all second-row configurations, allowing quick and easy access to the third-row seating area. The second-row seat cushion flips up while the seatback slides forward, effectively compressing the space occupied by the seat with the pull of a lever. The Smart Slide system also allows the second row to be positioned fore/aft. When adjusted rearward, the second-row seat provides more legroom for taller passengers. When adjusted forward, it provides more storage space or additional legroom for third-row passengers.
Storage space of 24.1 cu. ft. (682 liters) is available behind the third-row seat (with the cargo management removed). Maximum storage capability is 115.9 cu. ft. (1,382 L) when the second- and third-row seats are folded flat and the cargo management removed.
Standard and available interior features include:
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on Denali and SLT trims and available on SLE (with rear entertainment system).
- AM/FM/CD stereo with MP3 playback capability is standard on SL and SLE models.
- AM/FM/CD stereo with MP3 playback capability and Bose 10-speaker sound system is standard on SLT and Denali models.
- Navigation radio system with XM NavTraffic, rearview camera system, USB port and Bose 10-speaker sound is available on Denali and SLT.
- Rear-seat entertainment system with USB port is available on Denali, SLT and SLE models and includes rear-seat DVD player with remote control, overhead display and two sets of wireless headphones.
- Three-prong household-type power outlet is available on SLE, SLT and Denali models equipped with the rear entertainment system.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on all models with three-month trial.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on Denali, SLT and SLE models and optional on SL.
- Head-up display is standard on Denali and available on SLT.
- Remote keyless entry is standard on all models.
- Remote vehicle start is standard on Denali, SLT and SLE models and available on SL.
- Center console with sliding armrest and storage is standard on all models.
- A second-row console is available on SLT and Denali models with seven-passenger seating.
- Cloth seating trim is standard on SL and SLE models.
- Leather-appointed seating with heated front seats is standard on SLT models.
- Perforated leather-trimmed first- and second-row seats with heated and cooled front seats are standard on Denali and available on SLT2 models.
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls is standard on SLE and SLT models and available on SL.
- Dual SkyScape two-panel sunroof is standard on Denali and available on SLE and SLT models.
The Acadia’s 3.6L engine’s direct injection technology helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines and uses regular unleaded gasoline. It is rated at 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lb.-ft. of torque (366 Nm). Ninety percent of the engine’s peak torque is available from approximately 2,500 rpm to more than 6,000 rpm.
The 3.6L engine is mated to the Hydra-Matic 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, an advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel-drive vehicles. It also offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise shift control.
The available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention: The system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Acadia chassis and suspension
Acadia rides on a long 118.9-inch (3,019 mm) wheelbase, with wide 67.8-inch (1,721 mm) front and 67.4-inch (1,712 mm) rear tracks – a combination that lowers the center of gravity and enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics. Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Independent front and rear suspensions.
- The front suspension features a MacPherson strut design, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar and aluminum knuckles. Isolated mounting points help reduce noise and vibration.
- The rear suspension uses a compact, linked “H” design, which uses an isolated mounting system to reduce noise and vibration transmitted to the passenger compartment.
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard, with variable-effort steering available.
- Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes are standard on all models, with additional brake features including dynamic rear proportioning, hydraulic brake boost and panic brake assist.
Acadia safety and crash-avoidance features
The Acadia has 360-degree safety system that helps protect passengers before, during and after a crash, including anchor pretensioners for outboard occupants and pelvic-thorax seat-mounted side air bags. The structure is reinforced in numerous areas with high-strength steel, including a stiff steel cross-car beam welded across the floor between the B-pillars. It also uses dual-phase steel in select areas, such as the lower engine compartment rails. Dual-phase steel is strengthened in the paint oven and offers easier formability, reduced mass, greater strength and better crash energy absorption than most high-strength steels.
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation technology is standard on all models and incorporates full-function traction control.
- Available rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
- Standard remote keyless entry system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their vehicle without sounding the panic alarm.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
OnStar is standard on all Acadia models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Acadia models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.