Silverado Volunteer Firefighter Concept Can Take the Heat
DALLAS – With input from the National Volunteer Fire Council, Chevrolet developed the Silverado Z71 Volunteer Firefighter concept to honor the service of grassroots first responders and share a vision of how the all-new, more capable 2014 Silverado can be pressed into duty.
The concept vehicle features a full complement of rescue equipment incorporated on a new Silverado Double Cab equipped with the Z71 Off Road suspension.
“We wanted to pay tribute to these important men and women in communities everywhere,” said Chris Perry, vice president of Chevrolet marketing. “They are the kind of hard-working Americans for whom we design and build the Silverado, making sure it delivers the capability and dependability they expect.”
Approximately 90 percent of the fire departments in the United States are entirely or mostly volunteer – and 75 percent of all firefighters are volunteers. The volunteer fire council is made up of firefighter associations from 49 states and advocates policies, standards and programs to keep those firefighters safe.
Earlier this year, the fire council and Chevrolet began a partnership to raise awareness for volunteer emergency services, and support volunteer firefighters and EMS personnel nationwide.
The Silverado Volunteer Firefighter concept has plenty of room for personal gear such as a turnout coat and pants, firefighter helmet, air pack and gloves. It’s also outfitted with the tools and safety equipment needed in a support vehicle, including:
- Chevrolet Accessory six-spoke 22-inch Wheels (part number 2095180) with custom painted finish
- Emergency roof light bar and additional light-emitting diode, or LED, perimeter lighting
- Chevrolet Accessory four-inch chrome assist steps (part number 22805436)
- Chevrolet Accessory chrome package: door handles (part number 22940647) and mirror caps (part number 22913965)
- Chevrolet Accessory molded hood protector (part number 19302745)
- Red and Silver Paint Scheme with Custom Graphics
- Emergency siren and PA system
- Chrome fire extinguishers and mounting hardware
- Chevrolet Accessory gull-wing tool box (part number 19260344)
- Custom billet aluminum front brush guard and billet aluminum bed rails
- Axe and Halligan tool
- CornerStep rear bumper
- Cantilever cab-over TracRac (part number 19299113) with custom brushed aluminum finish.
Inside, the front seats are re-trimmed with 3M reflective bolster material and Torch Red stitching, which complements additional chrome-plated accents throughout the cab.
From the factory, the Silverado Double Cab Z71 was engineered with performance features and safety technologies firefighters can count on in every situation:
- Powerful, all-new EcoTec3 5.3L engine with 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque
- Six-speed automatic transmission with hill descent control for easier, more controlled driving on grades
- Revised front and rear suspensions and wider wheels that enhance ride and handling
- Fuel-saving electric power steering
- Four-wheel-disc brakes with Duralife™ rotors that can double rotor life, reducing maintenance costs
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with trailer sway control and hill start assist that enhances vehicle control in a variety emergency driving conditions
- CornerStep rear bumper that makes it easier to reach equipment in the bed
- Available safety features, including lane departure warning, front and rear park assist and a rear-vision camera, enhance occupant safety when driving to or maneuvering around a call site
- Available spray-on, chemically bonded and textured bedliner.
A fully boxed frame is the foundation for the truck’s strength and capability, with the main rails and major cross members formed from high-strength steel, providing a rigid base for maximum hauling capability.
“The team that designed the new Silverado went to extremes to design a new truck that would exceed the demands of these customers,” said Perry. “The new Silverado was part of a development program that saw more than 13 million miles of testing. It was an unprecedented regimen for Chevrolet and the result is the strongest, smartest and most capable truck in our history.”
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
# # #