Silverado Black Ops Concept is the Ultimate Survival Truck
DALLAS – Whether it’s a hurricane the likes of which only Hollywood special effects artists could dream up or other unforeseen emergency, the Chevrolet Silverado Black Ops concept is ready for anything.
“Luck favors the prepared and the Silverado Black Ops concept is a survival kit on four wheels,” said Chevrolet design manager Dave Ross. “This concept truck showcases the stronger, smarter and more capable elements of the 2014 Silverado and how accessories can enhance them to suit any lifestyle.”
The sinister-looking concept is based on the Silverado Crew Cab 4x4, building on its strength, performance and safety with features designed to turn the wasteland into an oasis, including custom-fabricated lower body armor and a lockable, bed-mounted Truck Vault storage unit. It holds a solar power pack, a pair of gas masks, gloves, military First Aid Kit, folding shovel and rope.
A generator, fuel can and water can are mounted atop the storage unit, as well as a crate stocked with food. The Silverado’s available CornerStep bumper makes it easier to reach into the bed to retrieve the survival gear, while the available locking tailgate with EZ-Lift-and Lower feature enables easier operation. An internal torsion bar reduces the effort to raise and lower it while a rotary damper allows for a controlled and more gradual lowering motion.
A powerful, front-mounted winch can help the Silverado Black Ops in most any catastrophe-induced predicament, while a custom cover around the winch has a bright, light-emitting diode, or LED, spot light and integrated tow hooks. The truck also has a raised suspension that provides extra ground clearance. Additional exterior concept equipment includes custom bed rails and a light bridge – equipped with forward- and rearward-facing light bars, Chevrolet Accessories bolt-on fender flares and four-inch tubular assist steps, and off-road tires mounted on custom-painted versions of the production Z71 18-inch wheels.
Inside, custom-trimmed black seats with yellow piping are complemented by additional yellow trim throughout the cabin, designed to be a comfortable and well-connected environment. It includes Silverado’s MyLink system with available navigation – displayed on an eight-inch color touch screen. Standard USB and other accessory inputs make it easy to upload favorite songs from a smartphone or other media source.
New, triple-sealed doors that are inlaid in the body sides and improved aerodynamics contribute to a quieter driving experience in the 2014 Silverado.
As with all 2014 Silverado 1500 models, a fully boxed, hydroformed frame is the foundation for the Black Op concept’s strength and capability, with the main rails and major cross members formed from high-strength steel, providing a rigid base for maximum hauling capability.
Additional Silverado factory features include:
- All-new EcoTec3 5.3L engine with 355 horsepower and 383 lb-ft of torque, delivering the best V-8 fuel economy in the segment – EPA-estimated 23 mpg highway
- Maximum towing capacity of up to 12,000 pounds with an available 6.2L V-8 and Max Towing Package
- Six-speed automatic transmission with hill descent control for easier, more controlled driving on grades
- Revised front and rear suspensions and wider wheels that enhance the ride and handling
- Fuel-saving electric power steering
- Four-wheel-disc brakes with Duralife™ rotors that can double rotor life, reducing maintenance costs
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with trailer sway control and hill start assist to enhance vehicle control
- Two available, segment-first active safety technologies: forward collision alert and lane departure warning. They use a forward-mounted camera to identify and warn drivers when they are at risk of colliding with another vehicle or leaving their lane. GM’s Safety Alert Seat and a rear-vision camera are also available.
“Silverado Black Ops is built upon the stronger, smarter and more capable 2014 Chevrolet Silverado,” said Ross. “It’s ready for whatever you need it for – work, recreation or challenging conditions.”
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world’s largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.
# # #