Grand Blanc Weld Tool Center

Revised:2013-06-21

Print Print   |  Send Email  |  Share Add This  

Location:

10800 S Saginaw St
Grand Blanc, Michigan. 48439 United States

Year Opened:

1942 (originally a tank plant for U.S. military)

Facility Size:

1.7 million square feet on 312 acres


Employee Information

Hourly:

323

Salaried:

28

Total:

351

Union Local:

UAW Local 1292


Plant Manager

Jim Scrimger

Year Opened/History

The U.S. government constructed the plant in 1942 to produce Sherman and Pershing tanks. In 1947, the Buick Motor Division leased the plant for service activity, and Fisher Body purchased it in 1951. During the Korean conflict, Fisher Body produced Patton tanks. In 1955, Fisher Body converted the plant into an automotive body metal fabricating facility. In 1984, GM assigned the plant Buick-Oldsmobile-Cadillac Group. It became part of Cadillac Motor Car Group in 1987 and was realigned with Cadillac/Luxury Car Division in 1992. The plant then became part of GM’s Metal Fabricating Division (MFD) in 1994. In 2002, the plant became GM’s Weld Tool Center.  The plant celebrated its 65th anniversary in 2007.

Products & Production

World-class tooling systems (weld guns, weld-tool cells). Recent projects included weld tool cells to support the Chevrolet Volt, Cruze, Sonic and Malibu programs and a new, small Chevrolet car in the United States, the Buick Regal program in Canada and a small vehicle program in Brazil.

Awards

  • 2010 - Landfill-free designation
  • GM Chairman’s Honor Awards for Team Concept Implementation

Economic Impact

Wages:             $46.5 million (2011)
Payroll Taxes:   $9.7 million (2011)
Property Taxes: $866,000 (2011)

Back to top