GM Toledo Transmission Plant employs nearly 1900 people. Founded in Toledo in 1916, Toledo Transmission employees produced truck transfer cases and transmissions for four- and six-wheel-drive military trucks throughout World War II. Today, housed in a state-of-the-art 750,000 square foot addition to the original building on Alexis Road, Toledo Transmission team members proudly manufacture and assemble GM’s fuel-efficient Hydra-matic 6L50, 6L80 and 6L90 rear-wheel-drive transmissions. In June 2010, Toledo Transmission launched the highly acclaimed Global Front-Wheel-Drive 6-Speed 6T40. The RWD transmissions built in Toledo are shipped to GM’s assembly plants in Arlington, Texas; Bowling Green, KY; Ft. Wayne, Ind.; Flint, Mich.; Wentzville, Mo. and Oshawa, Ontario. Front-Wheel-Drive transmissions are shipped to Fairfax, Kan.; Lordstown, Ohio; Oshawa, Ontario and Lake Orion, Mich. GM Toledo’s “Joint Partnership Process” with Local 14 UAW works effectively for the benefit of our employees, customers and community.
General Motors began operations in Toledo, Ohio, in 1916; the Chevrolet Motor Division directed original operations. GM purchased the current property in 1956 and, after halting operations at the Central Avenue site, opened for business in 1957.
- June 2011: $82 million for 8 speed transmission enhancements
- May 2011: $240 million investment for new 8-speed transmissions
- May 2007: $323 million investment for 6-speed, front wheel drive transmissions
- February 2006: $540 million investment for 6-speed, rear wheel drive transmissions