Toledo Transmission currently employs over 2,000 people. Hourly employees are represented by UAW Local 14. Founded in Toledo in 1916, Toledo Transmission employees produced truck transfer cases and transmissions for four- and six-wheel-drive military trucks throughout World War II. Today, team members proudly manufacture and assemble GM’s front and rear-wheel-drive transmissions. GM Toledo’s “Joint Partnership Process” with UAW Local 14 works effectively for the benefit of its employees, company, customers and community. Historically, the plant has a long-standing reputation of quality, productivity and performance.
General Motors began operations in Toledo, Ohio, in 1916; the Chevrolet Motor Division directed original operations. GM purchased the current property in 1956 and, after halting operations at the Central Avenue site, opened for business in 1957.
- December 16, 2013 - GM will invest $30.6 million for 6-speed transmission capacity increase at Toledo.
This investment will include tooling and equipment to increase capacity of the current 6-speed transmission.
Plant Manager Quote: “This investment signifies a commitment to the men and women of Toledo Powertrain and their dedication to build the World’s Best Transmissions. The entire workforce exhibits a sense of ownership and pride in the transmissions they build,” said Joe Choate, Plant Manager. “This continued dedication will lead Toledo Powertrain with our shared vision of continuous improvement and commitment to quality will ensure the success of our efforts.”
- Joe Choate, Toledo Powertrain plant manager
- June 2011: $82 million for 8 speed transmission enhancements
- May 2011: $240 million investment for new 8-speed transmissions
- May 2007: $323 million investment for 6-speed, front wheel drive transmissions
- February 2006: $540 million investment for 6-speed, rear wheel drive transmissions