CHEVROLET CONTINUES LAUNCH OF THE ALL-NEW 2013 MALIBU
The all-new 2013 Malibu is Chevrolet’s first global midsize sedan designed and engineered to provide customers from Shanghai to New York and Sydney to Sao Paulo with expressive design, advanced technologies, ride performance and fuel-efficient powertrains. It will eventually be sold in nearly 100 countries on six continents.
In North America, the Malibu comes in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, along with the Malibu Eco, which uses fuel-saving eAssist ™ technology to enable EPA-estimated fuel economy of 25 city / 37 highway, for the best fuel economy of any non-hybrid midsize sedan.
An all-new, fuel-efficient and powerful Ecotec 2.5L four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed transmission combination leads Malibu’s powertrain lineup. It’s rated at 197 horsepower (147 kW) and 191 lb.-ft. of torque (259 Nm). A new Ecotec 2.0L turbo, rated at 259 horsepower (193 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm), debuts this fall.
Additional product highlights for North American models include:
- Expressive exterior design with a wide, athletic stance
- Segment-best aerodynamics – close to those of the Chevrolet Volt extended-range electric car – that enhance fuel efficiency and reduce wind noise, including active electronic shutters on Eco and other select models
- All-new, Chevrolet-signature dual-cockpit interior that is more spacious, features premium materials and is engineered to be the quietest in the midsize segment
- New Chevrolet MyLink connectivity seamlessly integrates online services like Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®
- European-influenced ride and handling traits
- New safety features and technologies including 10 standard air bags, ultra-high-strength steel, lane departure warning/forward collision warning and rearview camera system
- Ten exterior colors and four interior color combination choices, depending on the model.
The new Malibu Eco is also the first 2013 midsize car to earn double honors for safety, including a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and a 2012 Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute of Highway Safety.
Malibu Eco details
The Malibu Eco is a smart choice for customers who want a midsize car with excellent fuel economy, but without the higher price of some full hybrid sedans.
Malibu Eco’s eAssist system uses power stored in an air-cooled, lithium-ion battery to provide needed electrical boost in various driving scenarios, optimizing engine and transmission operation. An advanced 115V lithium-ion battery and 15-kW motor-generator unit help increase fuel economy through:
- Regenerative braking, which provides up to 15 kW of electricity to charge the battery
- Enabling a more-efficient final drive ratio by providing up to 15 hp (11 kW) of electric power assistance during heavier acceleration
- Using electricity instead of gasoline when stopped, with automatic and smooth engine start-stop functionality
- Aggressive fuel cut-off during deceleration down to zero mph for added fuel savings
- Intelligent charge/discharge of the high-voltage battery.
The eAssist system captures up to 15kW of power that would be normally lost during braking and uses it to recharge the lithium-ion battery. The system also shuts down fuel delivery in certain deceleration conditions, further improving fuel economy. While in fuel shut-off mode, the motor-generator unit continues spinning along with the engine to provide immediate and smooth take-off power when the driver presses on the accelerator. As the vehicle comes to a stop, the motor-generator unit brings the engine to a controlled stop to position it properly for a smooth restart when the brake is released.
The eAssist is mated to an Ecotec 2.4L direct-injection four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic transmission.
An aerodynamically optimized design and smart use of fuel-saving technologies help increase highway fuel economy, with features including active grille shutters and low-rolling-resistance 17-inch Goodyear tires mounted on lightweight aluminum wheels.
Thanks to eAssist technology and other features, the Malibu Eco can travel up to 580 highway miles (965 km) between fill-ups with a 15.8-gallon (59.9 liters) fuel tank.
Malibu’s exterior designed to stand out
The exterior design of the all-new Malibu carries DNA from its sister vehicles, the Camaro and Corvette, to bring a sporty sensibility to the family sedan segment. A wider stance, broad shoulders and an integrated rear spoiler bring a new athleticism to Malibu and give it a more aggressive appearance. The new Malibu has 62-inch (1,574 mm) front and rear tracks that are more than two inches (51 mm) wider than the model it replaces.
Other exterior design cues include Chevrolet’s dual-port grille, projector-beam headlamps, larger Chevrolet bow-tie badges front and rear, and new Camaro-inspired dual-element taillamps. Malibu LTZ adds LED taillamps, chrome-tipped dual exhaust outlets, 18-inch alloy wheels and available high-intensity discharge headlamps.
The new Malibu exterior is anticipated to be SAE-certified as one of the most aerodynamically efficient cars in the segment, with a coefficient of drag (Cd) rating of.29, near Chevrolet Volt’s Cd of.280. Because of Malibu’s new shape and design, engineers were able to remove 60 counts of wind drag compared to the model it replaces.
Malibu also has electronically controlled and integrated active aero shutters to improve aerodynamics and enhance fuel economy without sacrificing the exterior design. They automatically close airflow through the lower grille opening when air intake is least needed, improving aerodynamic performance and enhancing fuel efficiency. The shutters are standard on Eco and LS models, as well as the 3LT trim.
Roomier, more refined interior
The new Malibu interior was designed to bring an element of sophistication to everyday driving, featuring an all-new, dual-cockpit design that creates an inviting, roomy and comfortable environment.
The increased width of the new Malibu means a more spacious cabin. Compared to the previous model, it has nearly four cubic feet (113 L) of additional interior volume, along with more shoulder and hip room.
The Malibu interior features metallic, chrome or wood accents located around the shifter, surrounding the center stack, around the instrument cluster and on doors and the steering wheel. Soft, ice blue ambient lighting reflects off of and complements chrome accents and ensures even, consistent illumination along the instrument panel and in storage pockets. Ice blue lighting on the center stack dials, exposed ice blue French contrast stitching, soft-touch and textured surfaces, and strategic applications of noise-deadening materials add to Malibu’s interior refinement.
The Malibu also has a number of storage areas, including a radio face that articulates up and down to reveal a six-inch deep storage area behind its seven-inch touch-screen radio display – a U.S. first in a midsize car (Eco, LT and LTZ models). Malibu also offers a full range of the latest infotainment options, including Chevrolet MyLink color touch with available navigation.
Additional interior features include:
- Driver information center with color display (Eco, 2LT and LTZ)
- Leather-appointed seating with available heated front seats
- Two auxiliary power outlets
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel (with audio and cruise controls) and shift knob (Eco 2SA, 2LT and LTZ)
- Remote vehicle starter (Eco 2SA, 2LT and LTZ).
The new Malibu also offers a spacious trunk, with 16.3 cubic feet (462 L) of cargo room (13.2 cu.-ft. / 374 L with Malibu Eco).
Malibu offers the new Chevrolet MyLink, which seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio ® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones. MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles.
MyLink features a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display designed to manage the number of steps required to complete a task. It also retains all the capabilities of conventional entertainment features, including AM/FM/Sirius XM tuners, CD player with MP3 playback, auxiliary and USB inputs.
All-new Ecotec powertrains
The 2013 Malibu features a lineup of fuel-efficient and powerful four-cylinder Ecotec engines that complements its European-inspired driving characteristics.
An all-new Ecotec 2.5L dual overhead cam, four-cylinder engine with direct injection leads Malibu’s engine lineup in North America. It is expected to be one of the most efficient of its size in the market. New features include enhanced authority continuously variable valve timing, variable-displacement oil pump and electronic thermostat that save fuel, while delivering V-6-like performance. It is rated at an SAE-certified 197 horsepower (147 kW) and 191 lb.-ft. of torque (259 Nm).
The new engine has noise-reducing features such as a cast exhaust manifold, steel crank, low-noise timing chain and direct mount accessories that contribute to a quiet cabin experience. The new 2.5L engine has more standard torque than any midsize car with a four-cylinder engine, and more base horsepower than the new Toyota Camry and the Ford Fusion.
The 2.5L is mated to a Hydra-Matic 6T40 six-speed automatic with features designed to enhance powertrain efficiency. They include changes to clutch controls and hardware that improve shift response and time. These changes enabled engineers to specify higher gearing to improve cruising efficiency while maintaining acceleration performance and driveability.
For customers who enjoy style and performance, Chevrolet will offer its first-ever Turbo on a Malibu with an all-new Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine rated at 259 horsepower (193 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (353 Nm) between 1,700 and 5,200 rpm. It is the most powerful midsize sedan from a domestic automaker, and more powerful than Malibu’s previous V-6 engines. It will be available later this fall on LT and LTZ models.
The Malibu Eco’s Ecotec 2.4L engine is rated at 182 horsepower (134 kW) and is matched with a next-generation six-speed automatic. The engine is efficient and lightweight, featuring dual-overhead cams, direct injection, continuously variable intake and exhaust timing and electronic throttle control, as well as a lightweight aluminum cylinder block and cylinder head.
The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu delivers precise ride and handling. It has been engineered to be best-in-class and on par with more expensive sports sedans.
Benefiting from continuous refinement of an award-winning global architecture, engineers have tested, tuned and calibrated the Malibu on rural roads, highways, freeways and GM validation facilities around the world.
Contributing to the Malibu’s ride and handling characteristics are:
- A solid body structure as stiff as any in the global midsize sedan market, allowing for precise tuning and dynamic vehicle control
- A premium steering gear for smooth, precise responsiveness and on-center feel
- Proven and continuously refined MacPherson strut front and mutli-link rear suspensions
- Large, ventilated front disc and solid rear disc brakes, clamped on by dual-piston front and single-piston rear aluminum calipers, which are expected to deliver segment-best stopping distance
- An isolated engine cradle for tuned, refined feedback, without noise or vibration
- Fuel-saving electric power rack-and-pinion variable-effort power steering, resulting in effortless low-speed maneuvers and a higher degree of steering feel at higher speeds
- Chassis control technologies include four-channel anti-lock brakes, full-function traction control, four-corner electronic stability control, electronic brake force distribution, brake assist system, corner brake control, hydraulic brake fade assist and drag torque control.
The 2013 Chevrolet Malibu Eco is the first all-new 2013 midsize car to receive double honors for safety, including a 5-Star Overall Vehicle Score from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration and a 2012 Top Safety Pick by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety. Both are the highest ratings possible.
The Malibu is also engineered for pedestrian protection compliance in all markets where it is sold and where such requirements exist. Pedestrian protection design in the front of the vehicle reduces the chance of a secondary collision between the pedestrian and engine block in car-pedestrian accidents.
The Malibu will also offer these standard and available safety features:
- Dual-stage driver and front passenger air bags
- Pelvic/thorax side-impact air bags for all outboard occupants, front and rear
- Driver and passenger knee air bags
- Roof rail air bags with rollover protection
- Available second-row head/thorax side-impact air bags
- Available lane departure warning system with forward collision alert
- Available rearview camera system.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Malibu. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Malibu also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.