STYLING, ONSTAR 4G LTE, SIRI UPDATES FOR 2015 CHEVY CRUZE
Cruze is the cornerstone of Chevrolet’s North American small-car lineup, which is attracting a greater share of the market and more young, first-time customers to Chevy showrooms. Cruze is also Chevrolet’s best-selling car around the world, with more than three million sold globally since its launch in mid-2010.
The 2015 Chevrolet Cruze in North America receives revised exterior styling, enhanced interior convenience and greater connectivity – including new text message alerts, Apple Siri integration and OnStar 4G LTE with available built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
The new exterior styling cues are inspired by the Impala and restyled 2014 Malibu, while more intuitive controls update the interior. New voice-controlled features enhance safety when responding to text messages in the vehicle.
“We’ve simply made a great, versatile car even better,” said Steve Majoros, Chevrolet director of passenger car and crossover marketing. “Chevrolet continues to design, build and sell the most compelling small cars in its history and the 2015 Cruze offers more of the features, connectivity and efficiency that are important to today’s customers.”
The Cruze’s facelift for 2015 refreshes the appearance for LT, RS, LTZ, Eco and Diesel models. A prominent dual-port front fascia takes styling cues from Impala and Malibu, contributing a more cohesive look across Chevrolet’s sedan range – including LED daytime running lamps on LT, LTZ, Eco and Diesel. They complement the Cruze’s swept-back headlamps, for a sportier presence. Several new exterior and interior colors will also be offered for 2015.
Updates on the interior enhance convenience:
- Revised cupholders make it easier to insert and remove cups
- Trunk release relocated to the center console
- Door lock switches relocated from the center console to the front doors.
In addition to LS, LT, RS and LTZ models, the 2015 Cruze lineup includes Cruze Eco – with EPA-rated 42 mpg highway with the manual transmission – and Cruze Diesel – EPA 46 mpg highway – one of the most efficient non-hybrid passenger cars in America. The Cruze also delivers a driving range of up to 717 miles (1,153 km) per tank.
Cruze offers among the most standard safety features in its class. It also has 10 standard air bags – including side-impact and knee air bags for front passengers – and offers side blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert, rear park assist and a rearview camera.
A mobile hub with greater connectivity
The enhanced connectivity and convenience features for the 2015 Cruze include a new text message alerts feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.), which reads incoming texts through the vehicle’s speakers, and Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users to enhance connectivity and convenience. Each enables voice-controlled connectivity, to help keep phones in pockets and hands on the wheel.
Additional available features include a seven-inch-diagonal color touch screen and additional USB ports, as well as an available navigation system.
Complementing MyLink to enhance Cruze’s connectivity is new OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, six months OnStar Directions and Connections includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as turn-by-turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer simplify service scheduling.
Cruze standard and available features
All Cruze interiors include premium materials and unexpected standard equipment, including air conditioning, vehicle anti-theft system, USB port, adjustable steering wheel with audio controls, AM/FM stereo system with CD player, MP3 playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary jack for personal playback devices, two power outlets, remote keyless entry and a trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
- Cruze LS includes premium cloth bucket seats, 16-inch steel wheels, silver-painted center stack and instrument panel cluster accent rings, power windows with express down on all windows, power door locks, carpeted front and rear floor mats and Bluetooth for select phones
- Cruze 1LT adds cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, power driver express-up window and 16-inch alloy wheels. The available Sun and Sound package includes a power sunroof and premium Pioneer nine-speaker audio system. The 1LT Driver Convenience Package includes driver six-way power seat adjuster with manual recliner, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors and remote vehicle start on automatic-transmission-equipped vehicles. An available Technology Package includes Chevrolet MyLink and a rear vision camera.
- Cruze Eco adds 17-inch lightweight aluminum wheels, color-touch AM/FM stereo, MP3 playback capability and seven-inch-diagonal color touch-screen display. The Chevrolet MyLink system features Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; voice recognition for phone, music and radio; Pandora and Stitcher smartphone compatibility; Gracenote (playlist and album art); software updatable for radio software and Gracenote database. An available Eco Driver Convenience Package includes driver six-way power seat adjuster with manual recliner (automatic transmission only), driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, rear vision camera and outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors.
- Cruze 2LT and Diesel add Meridian leather-appointed front bucket seats, six-way power driver seat and heated driver and front passenger seats. Cruze Diesel also includes uplevel instrument panel cluster and chrome trim rings. The available Driver Convenience Package includes auto-dimming inside rearview mirror; rear vision camera and outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors, 17-inch alloy wheels.
- Cruze LTZ adds 18-inch wheels, automatic climate control, rear vision camera, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, uplevel instrument panel with chrome trim rings, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-color mirrors, front fog lamps, chrome door handles and keyless entry/keyless start.
A sporty RS Appearance Package is available on LT and LTZ models. It includes unique fascias, rocker moldings, rear spoiler and fog lamps. An uplevel instrument cluster includes chrome accent rings in place of the standard silver finish, and opaque cluster bezels that allow the cluster’s ice blue backlighting to shine through for a sporty nighttime appearance.
The Enhanced Safety Package is available on LT, Diesel, Eco and LTZ models and includes Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and rear park assist.
A power sunroof also is available on LT, Diesel and LTZ models.
Chassis and suspension
Cruze features a strong body structure and chassis system that enabled engineers to more precisely tune the chassis for comfort and driving control. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with traction control, rollover mitigation and anti-lock brakes are standard.
Additional features include a MacPherson strut front suspension and, available on 1LT and standard on 2LT, Diesel and LTZ, a rear suspension with a technically advanced Z-link design. It helps deliver a more balanced driving experience, as the rear suspension better follows the lead of the front suspension.
Rack-mounted electric power steering is standard on all models. It helps with Cruze’s excellent fuel economy because it removes the conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories.
Cruze is offered with a family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels.
Cruze gas powertrain details
Standard on LS models is the 138-horsepower (103 kW) Ecotec 1.8L four-cylinder with continuously variable valve timing that optimizes performance and fuel economy across the rpm band. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 25 mpg city and 36 mpg on the highway with the manual transmission and 22 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with the automatic.
Standard on LT, LTZ and Eco models is an Ecotec 1.4L turbo. Its exhaust-driven turbocharger helps the engine perform like a larger engine when needed, but retains the efficiency of a small-displacement four-cylinder in most driving conditions. Also rated at 138 horsepower (103kW), with 148 lb-ft of torque (200 Nm), the Ecotec 1.4L turbo enables a cruising range of more than 500 miles (800 km).
EPA fuel economy is 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway on LT and LTZ, and 28 mpg city and 42 mpg highway on Eco when equipped with the manual transmission. With the automatic transmission, Cruze Eco highway fuel economy is 39 mpg.
Cruze 2.0L clean turbo-diesel details
Collaborating with Italian and German engineering groups, GM’s diesel experts in the United States adapted the engine to accommodate more stringent diesel emission standards and a wider range of driving conditions – including colder climates and higher altitudes – for the United States and Canada.
Cruze’s new 2.0L turbo-diesel delivers a segment-leading 151 horsepower (113 kW) and 264 lb-ft of torque (358 Nm). Peak torque is achieved at a low 2,600 rpm, for a sustained feeling of power on demand at almost all speeds – particularly when passing or entering a freeway ramp. The engine also has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb-ft (380 Nm), for stronger acceleration periods of about 10 seconds.
The 2.0L turbo-diesel engine provides greater fuel economy than a comparably sized gasoline engine through greater thermal efficiency, a higher compression ratio and an un-throttled combustion process. It features an iron cylinder block and a forged steel crankshaft, each designed to stand up to the greater cylinder pressures that come with a turbo-diesel engine.
A lightweight aluminum cylinder head and aluminum intake manifold contribute to the engine’s 408 pounds (185 kg), helping the Cruze Clean
Turbo Diesel deliver a balanced ride with outstanding handling characteristics. Additional highlights include:
- Dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters with low-friction roller-finger followers
- Quiet belt-driven cams/valvetrain with high-strength belt material and tensioner rated for 100,000 miles
- High-strength aluminum pistons with reinforced top ring and integral combustion bowl design
- Central direct injection, with the injector positioned in the middle of the cylinder, with the bowl in the piston serving as the combustion chamber. This enables a high 16.5:1 compression ratio that enhances power and combustion efficiency
- Variable-swirl intake manifold design, which optimizes air charge mixture motion in the cylinders for a more-efficient combustion that enhances performance and reduces emissions
- Common-rail fuel system with Piezo fuel injectors that create multiple injections per combustion for greater performance, combustion efficiency and quietness
- Variable-nozzle turbocharger that broadens the engine’s overall torque curve. It is mounted close to the exhaust outlet of the engine for quicker “spool up” of the turbine and faster “light off” of the exhaust catalyst
- Intercooling system produces a cooler, denser air charge for greater torque and power
- Piston oil jets that help reduce friction and optimize piston temperature for greater performance and efficiency
- Turbocharger bearings are oil-lubricated and cooled via an oil cooler
- Variable-displacement oil pump helps save fuel by optimizing the oil pressure, which reduces friction
- Vacuum pump designed for lower engine friction
- Ceramic glow plugs, which provide greater cold-start performance over conventional metal glow plugs (an engine oil heater is offered for cold climates)
- B20 bio-diesel compatibility.
Quiet, smooth performance is enabled by a number of features on and around the engine, including sound-absorbing features such as a unique dash mat, hood blanket and more.
A precise exhaust gas recirculation control system features a high-capacity cooler and bypass feature that enable the engine to meet United States and Canada’s tough diesel emissions regulations. The exhaust after-treatment system is similar to what is used on Chevrolet’s heavy-duty trucks and vans equipped with the Duramax diesel, including a diesel particulate filter and diesel emission fluid injection.
The 2.0L clean turbo-diesel engine is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission designed to accommodate the car’s higher torque.
Other Cruze models sold in North America are equipped with one of two efficient four-cylinder engines and a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Cruze’s safety begins with a unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into passenger compartment. Underbody main rails extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body in the event of a side-impact crash.
An available Enhanced Safety Package includes crash-avoidance technologies such as a rear park assist, side blind zone alert, rear cross traffic alert.
Cruze was the first in its segment to provide 10 standard air bags, including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags. Other safety features include:
- Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system
- Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
- Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors.
- LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
- Tire pressure monitoring system, daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps.