NEW CRUZE CLEAN TURBO-DIESEL DELIVERS CLASS-LEADING 46 MPG HWY
The Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet’s best-selling passenger car around the world, provides the amenities, quietness, safety features, infotainment and roominess expected of a larger, more expensive sedan, but with the efficiency and value of a compact car.
For the 2014 model year, Chevrolet builds on Cruze’s value with an all-new, 2.0L clean turbo-diesel-powered model that achieves an EPA-estimated 46 mpg hwy – better than any non-hybrid or gasoline passenger car in America. The Cruze Diesel can travel 717 miles on a single tank – or about 10 hours of highway driving.
The 2014 Chevrolet Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel will be available in certain markets in early summer and nationwide and in Canada in late summer.
GM produces about a half-million small displacement diesel engines each year, and four out of 10 Cruze models sold in Europe feature a diesel engine.
“We harnessed generations of diesel expertise here and in Europe to adapt our world-class global engine for the North American market,” said Gary Altman, chief engineer, Chevrolet Cruze Diesel. “Chevrolet is redefining the meaning of great fuel economy with this car.”
With a starting price of $25,695, including an $810 destination charge, the Chevrolet Cruze Diesel is a better value than a similarly equipped Volkswagen Jetta TDI automatic (42 mpg hwy). Compared with Jetta, Cruze Diesel offers more standard equipment including the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system, larger 17-inch alloy wheels, leather-appointed seating, a longer five-year 100,000-mile powertrain limited warranty, and a two-year maintenance plan that includes oil changes, tire rotation and diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) top-offs.
Cruze Diesel also beats its rivals in performance, with a segment-leading, SAE-certified 151 horsepower (113 kW) and 264 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm), and can go from 0-60 in about 8.6 seconds. Its advanced 2.0L turbo-diesel engine produces at least 250 lb.-ft. of torque (339 Nm) between 1,750 and 3,000 rpm and has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb.-ft. (380 Nm) for short bursts of stronger acceleration when needed, such as merging onto a busy freeway.
Cruze Diesel is powered by the cleanest diesel engine produced by General Motors. It meets tough North American diesel emission standards and generates 90 percent less Nitrogen Oxide (NOx) and particulate emissions compared to previous-generation diesels.
Overall, the Chevrolet Cruze model has helped Chevrolet grow its share of the rising global small car market. Chevrolet has sold more than 2 million Cruzes around the world, and has the second highest share of buyers under age 25. In addition to the all-new Cruze Diesel, Cruze is available in LS, 1LT, 2LT, LTZ and Eco models.
Chevrolet Cruze design
Cruze features Chevrolet’s global signature face – a two-tier grille with the gold bowtie logo. An arching roofline connects a steeply raked windshield and fast-sloping rear pillars that provide a sporty, coupe-like proportion.
Prominent headlamp housings wrap around the corners and sweep upward into the fenders and hood. The short rear deck is typically found on sport coupes. Wheels are planted at the corners with minimal front and rear overhangs, which make the car appear longer.
Inside, the twin-cockpit motif is matched with high-quality interior materials and exceptional assembly tolerances. Grained, soft-touch components and low-gloss trim panels convey a level of quality uncommon in the segment.
The instrument panel features richly detailed instruments backlit with light-emitting diode (LED) technology. The integrated center stack houses the infotainment display, climate controls and radio controls, and blends harmoniously with the instrument panel.
The interior pillar and other moldings are color and grain-matched to the headliner, while the seat inserts are color-matched to the instrument panel accent trim, giving the cabin the detailed appearance of a larger, more upscale sedan.
New exterior colors for 2014 include Red Hot, Rainforest Green Metallic, Tungsten Metallic and Blue Ray Metallic.
Cruze standard and available features
All Cruze interiors include premium materials and unexpected standard equipment, including air conditioning, vehicle anti-theft system, USB port, adjustable steering wheel with audio controls, AM/FM stereo system with CD player, MP3 playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary jack for personal playback devices, two power outlets, remote keyless entry and a trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
- Cruze LS includes premium cloth bucket seats, 16-inch steel wheels, silver-painted center stack and instrument panel cluster accent rings, power windows with express down on all windows, power door locks, carpeted front and rear floor mats and Bluetooth for select phones
- Cruze 1LT adds cruise control, leather-wrapped steering wheel and shift knob, power driver express-up window and 16-inch alloy wheels. The available All-Star Edition package includes a power sunroof and premium Pioneer nine-speaker audio system. The 1LT Driver Convenience Package includes driver six-way power seat adjuster with manual recliner, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors and remote vehicle start on automatic-transmission-equipped vehicles. An available Technology Package includes Chevrolet MyLink and a rear vision camera.
- Cruze Eco adds 17-inch lightweight aluminum wheels, color-touch AM/FM stereo, MP3 playback capability and seven-inch-diagonal color touch-screen display. The Chevrolet MyLink system features Bluetooth streaming audio for music and select phones; voice recognition for phone, music and radio; Pandora and Stitcher smartphone compatibility; Gracenote (playlist and album art); software updatable for radio software and Gracenote database. An available Eco Driver Convenience Package includes driver six-way power seat adjuster with manual recliner, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, rear vision camera and outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors.
- Cruze 2LT and Diesel add Meridian leather-appointed front bucket seats, six-way power driver seat and heated driver and front passenger seats. Cruze Diesel also includes uplevel instrument panel cluster and chrome trim rings. The available Driver Convenience Package includes driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors; auto-dimming inside rearview mirror; rear vision camera and outside heated, power-adjustable mirrors, 17-inch alloy wheels.
- Cruze LTZ adds 18-inch wheels, automatic climate control, rear vision camera, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, uplevel instrument panel with chrome trim rings, driver and front passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-color mirrors, front fog lamps, chrome door handles and keyless entry/keyless start.
A sporty RS Appearance Package is available on LT and LTZ models. It includes unique fascias, rocker moldings, rear spoiler and fog lamps. An uplevel instrument cluster includes chrome accent rings in place of the standard silver finish, and opaque cluster bezels that allow the cluster’s ice blue backlighting to shine through for a sporty nighttime appearance.
The Enhanced Safety Package is available on LT, Diesel, Eco and LTZ models and includes Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and rear park assist.
A power, sliding sunroof also is available on LT, Diesel and LTZ Cruze models.
Chassis and suspension
Cruze features a strong body structure and chassis system that enabled engineers to more precisely tune the chassis for comfort and driving control. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with traction control, rollover mitigation and anti-lock brakes are standard.
Additional features include a MacPherson strut front suspension and, available on 1LT and standard on 2LT, Diesel and LTZ, a rear suspension with a technically advanced Z-link design. It helps deliver a more balanced driving experience, as the rear suspension better follows the lead of the front suspension.
Rack-mounted electric power steering is standard on all models. It helps with Cruze’s excellent fuel economy because it removes the conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories.
Cruze is equipped with a family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels.
Cruze 2.0L clean turbo-diesel details
Collaborating with Italian and German engineering groups, GM’s diesel experts in the United States adapted the engine to accommodate more stringent diesel emission standards and a wider range of driving conditions – including colder climates and higher altitudes – for the United States and Canada.
Cruze’s new 2.0L turbo-diesel delivers a segment-leading 151 horsepower (113 kW) and 264 lb.-ft. of torque (358 Nm). Peak torque is achieved at a low 2,600 rpm, for a sustained feeling of power on demand at almost all speeds – particularly when passing or entering a freeway ramp.
The engine also has an overboost feature capable of increasing torque to an estimated 280 lb.-ft. (380 Nm), for stronger acceleration periods of about 10 seconds.
The 2.0L turbo-diesel engine provides greater fuel economy than a comparably sized gasoline engine through greater thermal efficiency, a higher compression ratio and an un-throttled combustion process. It features an iron cylinder block and a forged steel crankshaft, each designed to stand up to the greater cylinder pressures that come with a turbo-diesel engine.
A lightweight aluminum cylinder head and aluminum intake manifold contribute to the engine’s 408 pounds (185 kg), helping the Cruze Clean Turbo Diesel deliver a balanced ride with outstanding handling characteristics. Additional highlights include:
- Dual overhead camshafts with four valves per cylinder and maintenance-free hydraulic lifters with low-friction roller-finger followers
- Quiet belt-driven cams/valvetrain with high-strength belt material and tensioner rated for 100,000 miles
- High-strength aluminum pistons with reinforced top ring and integral combustion bowl design
- Central direct injection, with the injector positioned in the middle of the cylinder, with the bowl in the piston serving as the combustion chamber. This enables a high 16.5:1 compression ratio that enhances power and combustion efficiency
- Variable-swirl intake manifold design, which optimizes air charge mixture motion in the cylinders for a more-efficient combustion that enhances performance and reduces emissions
- Common-rail fuel system with Piezo fuel injectors that create multiple injections per combustion for greater performance, combustion efficiency and quietness
- Variable-nozzle turbocharger that broadens the engine’s overall torque curve. It is mounted close to the exhaust outlet of the engine for quicker “spool up” of the turbine and faster “light off” of the exhaust catalyst
- Intercooling system produces a cooler, denser air charge for greater torque and power
- Piston oil jets that help reduce friction and optimize piston temperature for greater performance and efficiency
- Turbocharger bearings are oil-lubricated and cooled via an oil cooler
- Variable-displacement oil pump helps save fuel by optimizing the oil pressure, which reduces friction
- Vacuum pump designed for lower engine friction
- Ceramic glow plugs, which provide greater cold-start performance over conventional metal glow plugs (an engine oil heater is offered for cold climates)
- B20 bio-diesel compatibility.
Quiet, smooth performance is enabled by a number of features on and around the engine, including sound-absorbing features such as a unique dash mat, hood blanket and more.
A precise exhaust gas recirculation control system features a high-capacity cooler and bypass feature that enable the engine to meet United States and Canada’s tough diesel emissions regulations. The exhaust after-treatment system is similar to what is used on Chevrolet’s heavy-duty trucks and vans equipped with the Duramax diesel, including a diesel particulate filter and diesel emission fluid injection.
The 2.0L clean turbo-diesel engine is paired with a six-speed automatic transmission designed to accommodate the car’s higher torque.
Other Cruze models sold in North America are equipped with one of two efficient four-cylinder engines and a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions.
Standard on LS models is the 138-horsepower (103 kW) Ecotec 1.8L four-cylinder with continuously variable valve timing that optimizes performance and fuel economy across the rpm band. EPA-estimated fuel economy is 25 mpg city and 36 mpg on the highway with the manual transmission and 22 mpg city and 35 mpg highway with the automatic.
Standard on LT, LTZ and Eco models is an Ecotec 1.4L turbo. Its exhaust-driven turbocharger helps the engine perform like a larger engine when needed, but retains the efficiency of a small-displacement four-cylinder in most driving conditions.
Also rated at 138 horsepower (103kW) with 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), the Ecotec 1.4L turbo enables a cruising range of more than 500 miles (800 km).
EPA fuel economy is 26 mpg city and 38 mpg highway on LT and LTZ, and 28 mpg city and 42 mpg highway on Eco when equipped with the manual transmission. With the automatic transmission, Cruze Eco highway fuel economy is 39 mpg.
Cruze is backed by GM’s five-year/100,000-mile powertrain warranty – the best coverage in America.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Cruze offers more standard safety features than any vehicle in its class, each contributing to Chevrolet’s goal of protecting passengers before, during and after a crash.
Safety begins with a strong, unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into passenger compartment. Underbody main rails extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body in the event of a side-impact crash.
An available Enhanced Safety Package includes crash-avoidance technologies such as a rear park assist, side blind zone alert, rear cross-traffic alert.
Cruze was the first in its segment to provide 10 standard air bags , including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags. Other safety features include:
- Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system
- Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
- Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors.
- LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
- Tire pressure monitoring system , daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Cruze. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. FamilyLink, an opt-in service, allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design, and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.com.