2014 CHEVROLET CAMARO LINEUP RECEIVES NEW LOOK, ENHANCED FEATURES
The face of Camaro is new for 2014, with new front and rear fascias – including new headlamp and taillight designs – contributing to a sleeker, faster appearance. The changes are complemented by enhanced interior features, including new color readouts for the driver information center and available head-up display.
What hasn’t changed is Camaro’s balance of style, performance and efficiency, which has helped make it the segment’s best seller and Chevrolet America’s best-selling brand of performance cars.
The 2014 Camaro lineup includes coupe and convertible body styles in these models:
- The 323-horsepower (241 kW) V-6-powered LS coupe and LT coupe and convertible – including the 2LS with an EPA-rated 30 mpg on the highway
- The Camaro SS coupe and convertible, with a 6.2L V-8 delivering up to 426 horsepower (318 kW) – and featuring an all-new, vent-style hood
- The 580-horsepower (432 kW) supercharged Camaro ZL1 coupe and convertible. (Please see the separate Camaro ZL1 release for complete details.)
- The all-new, track-capable Camaro Z/28 (coupe only), featuring the 7.0L LS7 engine rated at an estimated 500 horsepower. (Please see the separate Camaro Z/28 release for complete details.)
The road-racing-inspired Camaro 1LE performance package returns with unique gearing, suspension tuning and tires that make the model capable of more than 1 g of lateral acceleration. A specific rear spoiler is new for 2014.
Additional changes across the Camaro lineup include:
- Available Recaro performance front bucket seats (SS coupe)
- Daytime running lamps with low-beam headlamps; separate daytime driving lamps with the RS package
- Projector-style front fog lamps on 1LT trim and above
- Available blue interior accent trim package
- Eighteen-inch painted aluminum wheels now standard on LS.
Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on LT, SS and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a seven-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an available in-dash GPS navigation system.
All Camaro models have a new look for 2014, with all-new front and rear fascias – except ZL1, which retains the previous front fascia that is airflow-optimized for the model’s supercharged powertrain and downforce-producing aerodynamics.
The new front-end appearance on LS, LT, SS and Z/28 models has a sleeker appearance and incorporates new headlamps that create a more serious-looking face for Camaro. SS models are distinguished by an all-new, vent-style hood inspired by the ZL1.
At the rear, a new rear fascia – with new diffuser styling and exhaust outlets – deck lid and spoiler complement the revised front-end styling. New taillights are sleek, one-piece components and feature LED lighting elements.
The RS package is available on LT and SS models and is also revised for 2014, with a unique grille and separate fog lamps from the daytime running lamps. It also includes 20-inch flangeless aluminum wheels, a rear spoiler on LT coupe (spoiler is standard on SS and all convertible models), high-intensity discharged headlamps and a body-color “shark fin” antenna.
The Camaro convertible brings top-down driving fun and style to LT and SS models. And because the architecture for the fifth-generation Camaro was designed to accommodate a convertible model, it gives the cars coupe-like driving dynamics. Four strategic reinforcements enhance the already-stiff body structure to quell the cowl and steering wheel shake common in convertibles. They include:
- A tower-to-tower brace under the hood
- A transmission support reinforcement brace
- Underbody tunnel brace
- Front “X” brace and stiffer cradle as well as rear underbody “V” braces.
All convertible models feature a standard rear vision camera system. It is also standard on 2LT and 2SS models and available on 1LT and 1SS.
Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels replace stamped steel wheels for 2014 on LT models. They’re also standard with the 1LS trim. Nineteen-inch aluminum wheels are standard on 2LT. Twenty-inch wheels are standard on SS and available on LT models. The 1LE Performance Package includes specific, wider 20-inch wheels (see 1LE section below).
The exterior color palette for 2014 includes Red Hot, Bright Yellow, Red Rock Metallic, Silver Ice Metallic, Summit White, Black, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Ashen Gray Metallic and Blue Ray Metallic. The convertible top color choices include black and beige.
Interior design and features
The Camaro interior’s balance of heritage and contemporary features provides a fun and comfortable environment for up to four. An ambient lighting package on 2LT and 2SS trims gives the interior a special glow with LED light pipe technology.
Driver and passenger seatsfeature six-way adjustable settings (fore/aft, up/down and tilt), with power recline front seats that are standard on LT and SS models. Heated, leather-trimmed seats are part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages. New Recaro front seats are available on SS coupe, providing an extra measure of support for performance driving.
Additional comfort and convenienceinclude a standard driver’s foot rest (dead pedal), power windows with express up/down, an auxiliary gauge panel in the center console – standard in 2LT and 2SS – and a ZL1-inspired shift knob for all manual transmissions. A leather-wrapped, three-spoke steering wheel is standard on LT and SS. The driver information center is updated for 2014 with a new, full-color display.
A head-up display, which projects key instrument, Turn-by-Turn navigation and audio system details on the windshield, is part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages – and features new, color readouts for 2014. And complementing the new MyLink infotainment system is a six-speaker sound system on LS, 1LT and 1SS. A 245-watt, Boston Acoustic nine-speaker sounds system is standard on 2LT and 2SS – and available on 1LT and 1SS.
Interior color and trim choices include Black, Beige, Gray and Inferno Orange and Blue, which is new for 2014. The Inferno Orange and Blue combinations include orange or blue leather seats, respectively, along with accent stitching on the steering wheel, shift knob, door armrest, center console and seats, along with orange or blue appliques on the instrument panel and door panels. SS models feature “SS” embroidery on the front seats.
Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on LT, SS and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a seven-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an available in-dash GPS navigation system – a first for the Camaro.
The color touch radio with MyLink gives customers a higher level of in-vehicle wireless connectivity and customized infotainment options, while building on the safety and security of OnStar. It seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora ® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio ® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones.
MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles. The high-resolution, full-color touch screen display makes media selection easy to navigate. MyLink also retains all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including AM/FM/Sirius XM tuners, auxiliary and USB inputs.
Standard in LS and LT models is the LFX-code 3.6L V-6, rated at 323 horsepower (241 kW) and enabling EPA-estimated 30-mpg highway mileage (2LS model). Many lightweight engine features contribute to that, including an integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design that saves about 13 pounds per engine, when compared with a conventional, non-integrated design.
Two 6.2L V-8 engines are offered in the Camaro SS, including the L99 on automatic-equipped vehicles and the LS3 on manual-equipped models. Horsepower for the L99 is 400 (298 kW) at 5,900 rpm and torque is 410 lb.-ft. (556 Nm) at 4,300 rpm. The LS3 develops 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm). Output on the L99 is lower than the LS3 because of a slightly lower compression ratio (10.4:1 vs. 10.7:1) and design features of the Active Fuel Management system.
All Camaro models can be equipped with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission with TapShift. Equipment and features include:
- The Aisin AY6 six-speed manual is standard with the 3.6L engine, and a Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic is optional
- A Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual is standard on the SS, and the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic is optional
- The SS model’s Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual is designed to handle the high torque characteristics of the LS3 engine and is matched with a 3.45:1 final drive ratio
- A close-ratio version of the Tremec TR6060 is used with the 1LE package and is matched with a 3.91 final drive ratio
- Hill start assist is standard on all manual transmissions.
A dual-mode exhaust system is available on Camaro SS models with the six-speed manual transmission. Similar to the systems found on the ZL1 and Corvette models, this vacuum-actuated system provides a quieter driving experience at low engine speeds and a more aggressive sound at when aggressive acceleration is called for.
Camaro chassis and suspension
Camaro features fully independent front and rear suspensions, with the rear suspension featuring a 4.5-link system that includes a unique, L-shaped upper control arm that attaches to the knuckle at one end and incorporates a ride bushing in the rear. A sub-frame at the rear is double-isolated to minimize vehicle body motions and dampen road imperfections. Coil-over shock absorbers are used in the rear with a decoupled, hollow stabilizer bar. The front suspension has a dual-ball strut system, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar.
Four suspension packages are offered: FE2 sport on LS and LT models; FE3 on SS Convertible models, FE4 performance on SS Coupe models and the FE6 with the 1LE Performance Package.
Four-wheel disc brakes are standard on all models – including Brembo four-piston calipers on SS – with hydraulic brake assist. StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on all models. Competitive/sport mode on SS models enhances on-track performance and Performance Launch Control on SS models with the manual transmission optimizes hard-acceleration launches for quicker, more consistent performance.
An electric power steering system originally developed for the ZL1 is standard on SS. This variable ratio, variable effort system provides light efforts for easy maneuverability at parking-lot speeds as well as increased resistance at higher speeds, providing more feedback and a more direct steering feel.
The 1LE package is offered on 1SS and 2SS coupe models with an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6 six-speed manual. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.
The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.
Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
- Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
- Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
- ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 10-inch aluminum wheels
- 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
- ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
- ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-load cornering.
Visually, the 1LE package is distinguished by its matte black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.
Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded-microfiber.
The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.
Camaro safety and crash-avoidance features
The Camaro is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, while protecting occupants in the event a crash occurs. A strong body structure is designed to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
Additional features include:
- Coupe models come with six standard air bags, including side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash. Convertibles have four standard air bags.
- Rear Vision Package includes a rearview camera system to complement the rear park assist feature (standard on 2LT and 2SS coupes and all convertibles; available on 1LT and 1SS coupe)
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Standard four-wheel disc brake system featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on all Camaro models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar service also includes MyLink mobile apps, whichoffer vehicle information and OnStar services via the customer’s smartphone.