2013 CHEVROLET CAMARO RANGE EXPANDS WITH TRACK-READY 1LE PACKAGE
The road-racing-inspired Camaro 1LE performance package returns for 2013 with unique gearing, suspension tuning and tires that make the model capable of more than 1 g of lateral acceleration and a sub-three minute lap time at Virginia International Raceway’s Grand Course. It is offered on Camaro SS coupes with manual transmissions.
All Camaro SS models now feature variable-effort electric power steering and an available dual-mode exhaust system on manual transmission-equipped models. Both features were introduced on the Camaro ZL1.
The 2013 Camaro lineup includes:
- The 323-horsepower (241 kW) V-6-powered LS coupe and LT coupe and convertible – including the 2LS with an EPA-rated 30 mpg on the highway
- The Camaro SS coupe and convertible, with a 6.2L V-8 delivering up to 426 horsepower (318 kW)
- The 580-horsepower (432 kW) supercharged Camaro ZL1 coupe and convertible. (Please see the separate Camaro ZL1 release for complete details.)
In addition to the new performance features offered on the Camaro SS, all 2013 Camaro models offer a wider range of choices and enhancements that will help it remain America’s most popular sports car. New and revised content includes:
- Chevrolet MyLink and color-touch radio standard on LT, SS, and ZL1 models
- Chevrolet MyLink and color-touch radio with GPS map navigation (late availability)
- Hill start assist now standard on all manual transmissions
- ZL1-style shift knob standard on all manual transmissions
- Remote vehicle start now include on 1LT and 1SS with automatic transmission
- Blue Ray Metallic exterior color
- Frameless inside rearview mirror
- New 18-inch and 20-inch wheel designs
- Mojave leather interior trim.
The 1LE package is offered on 1SS and 2SS coupe models with an exclusive Tremec TR6060-MM6 six-speed manual transmission. Paired with a numerically higher 3.91 final-drive ratio, the close-ratio gearing of the transmission is tuned for road-racing performance. As with the ZL1, the 1LE transmission features a standard air-to-liquid cooling system for track use.
The 1LE also features exclusive, monotube rear dampers instead of the twin-tube dampers on SS models. The new hardware allowed engineers to tune the 1LE suspension to focus on optimal body-motion control while preserving much of the ride quality and wheel-motion control of the Camaro SS.
Other changes to optimize the 1LE for track-day use include:
- Larger, 27-mm solid front stabilizer bar, and 28-mm solid rear stabilizer bar for improved body control
- Strut tower brace for improved steering feel and response
- ZL1-based 20 x 10-inch front and 20 x 10-inch aluminum wheels
- 285/35ZR20 Goodyear Eagle Supercar G:2 tires front and rear (identical to the front tires for ZL1)
- ZL1 wheel bearings, toe links and rear shock mounts for improved on-track performance
- ZL1 high-capacity fuel pump and additional fuel pickups for improved fuel delivery during high-load cornering.
Visually, the 1LE package is distinguished by its matte black hood, front splitter and rear spoiler – as well as the 10-spoke ZL1-based wheels, which are finished in black. The functional front splitter and rear spoiler contribute to the car’s on-track performance by helping to reduce aerodynamic lift at high speeds.
Inside, the 1LE package incorporates the ZL1’s flat-bottom steering wheel, trimmed in sueded-microfiber and designed for easier heel-and-toe driving on the racetrack. The quick-acting, short-throw shifter from the ZL1 is also trimmed in sueded-microfiber.
In anticipation of consumers entering the 1LE in amateur-racing events, Chevrolet is pursuing SCCA approval of the 1LE package for Touring Class competition.
The Camaro 1LE package was introduced in 1988, inspired by Camaro’s involvement in Pro-Am road racing.
Chevrolet’s color touch radio with MyLink infotainment is available on 2013 Camaro LT, SS and ZL1 models. The color touch radio, with a seven-inch touch screen, also can be paired with an available in-dash GPS navigation system – a first for the Camaro.
The color touch radio with MyLink gives customers a higher level of in-vehicle wireless connectivity and customized infotainment options, while building on the safety and security of OnStar. It seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora® internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones.
MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles. The high-resolution, full-color touch screen display makes media selection easy to navigate. MyLink also retains all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including AM/FM/Sirius XM tuners, auxiliary and USB inputs.
Camaro design and exterior features
Camaro’s heritage-inspired interior and exterior convey sportiness through iconic design cues. A rear spoiler is standard on all models and a variety of stripe packages offers a broad range of personalization features.
LT and SS models are available with the RS package, which adds 20-inch wheel, body-color roof moldings and antenna, as well as high-intensity discharge headlamps. Eighteen-inch wheels are standard on LS and LT model, with 20-inch wheels standard on SS.
The Camaro convertible brings top-down driving fun and style to LT and SS models. And because the architecture for the fifth-generation Camaro was designed to accommodate a convertible model, it gives the cars coupe-like driving dynamics. Four strategic reinforcements enhance the already-stiff body structure to quell the cowl and steering wheel shake common in convertibles. They include:
- A tower-to-tower brace under the hood
- A transmission support reinforcement brace
- Underbody tunnel brace
- Front “X” brace and stiffer cradle as well as rear underbody “V” braces.
All convertible models feature a standard rear vision camera system. It is also standard on 2LT and 2SS models and available on 1LT and 1SS.
Exterior colors include Summit White, Black, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Victory Red, Rally Yellow, Inferno Orange Metallic, Ashen Grey Metallic and Blue Ray Metallic. The convertible top color choices include black and beige.
Camaro interior features
Camaro’s well-executed balance of heritage and contemporary features provides a fun and comfortable environment for up to four. An ambient lighting package on 2LT and 2SS trims gives the interior a special glow with LED light pipe technology.
Driver and passenger seatsfeature six-way adjustable settings (fore/aft, up/down and tilt), with power recline front seats that are standard on LT and SS models. Heated, leather-trimmed seats are part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages.
Additional comfort and convenienceinclude a standard driver’s foot rest (dead pedal), power windows with express up/down, an auxiliary gauge panel in the center console – standard in 2LT and 2SS – and a new ZL1-inspired shift knob for all manual transmissions. A leather-wrapped, three-spoke steering wheel is standard on LT and SS.
A head-up display, which projects key instrument, Turn-by-Turn navigation and audio system details on the windshield, is part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages. And complementing the new MyLink infotainment system is a six-speaker sound system on LS, 1LT and 1SS. A 245-watt, Boston Acoustic nine-speaker sounds system is standard on 2LT and 2SS – and available on 1LT and 1SS.
Interior color and trim choices include Black, Beige, Gray, Inferno Orange and Mojave. The Inferno Orange and Mojave combinations include contrast stitching and other details.
Standard in LS and LT models is the LFX-code 3.6L V-6, rated at 323 horsepower (241 kW) and enabling EPA-estimated 30-mpg highway mileage (2LS model). Many lightweight engine features contribute to that, including an integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design that saves about 13 pounds per engine, when compared with a conventional, non-integrated design.
Two 6.2L V-8 engines are offered in the Camaro SS, including the L99 on automatic-equipped vehicles and the LS3 on manual-equipped models. Horsepower for the L99 is 400 (298 kW) at 5,900 rpm and torque is 410 lb.-ft. (556 Nm) at 4,300 rpm. The LS3 develops 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm). Output on the L99 is lower than the LS3 because of a slightly lower compression ratio (10.4:1 vs. 10.7:1) and design features of the Active Fuel Management system.
All Camaro models can be equipped with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission with TapShift. Equipment and features include:
- The Aisin AY6 six-speed manual is standard with the 3.6L engine, and a Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic is optional
- A Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual is standard on the SS, and the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic is optional
- The SS model’s Tremec TR6060 six-speed manual is designed to handle the high torque characteristics of the LS3 engine and is matched with a 3.45:1 final drive ratio
- A close-ratio version of the Tremec TR6060 is used with the 1LE package and is matched with a 3.91 final drive ratio
- Hill start assist is standard on all manual transmissions.
A dual-mode exhaust system is available on Camaro SS models with the six-speed manual transmission. Similar to the systems found on the ZL1 and Corvette models, this vacuum-actuated system provides a quieter driving experience at low engine speeds and a more aggressive sound at when aggressive acceleration is called for.
Camaro chassis and suspension
Camaro features fully independent front and rear suspensions, with the rear suspension featuring a 4.5-link system that includes a unique, L-shaped upper control arm that attaches to the knuckle at one end and incorporates a ride bushing in the rear. A sub-frame at the rear is double-isolated to minimize vehicle body motions and dampen road imperfections. Coil-over shock absorbers are used in the rear with a decoupled, hollow stabilizer bar. The front suspension has a dual-ball strut system, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar.
Four suspension packages are offered: FE2 sport on LS and LT models; FE3 on SS Convertible models, FE4 performance on SS Coupe models and the FE6 with the 1LE Performance Package.
Four-wheel disc brakes are standard on all models – including Brembo four-piston calipers on SS – with hydraulic brake assist. StabiliTrak electronic stability control is standard on all models. Competitive/sport mode on SS models enhances on-track performance and Performance Launch Control on SS models with the manual transmission optimizes hard-acceleration launches for quicker, more consistent performance.
New for 2013, an electric power steering system developed for the ZL1 is standard on all SS. This variable ratio, variable effort system provides light efforts for easy maneuverability at parking-lot speeds as well as increased resistance at higher speeds, providing more feedback and a more direct steering feel.
Camaro safety and crash-avoidance features
The Camaro is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, while protecting occupants in the event a crash occurs. A strong body structure is designed to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants. In fact, the 2012 Camaro was the first passenger car to receive NHTSA’s revised quadruple 5-star safety rating.
Additional features include:
- Six standard air bags include side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash
- Rear Vision Package includes a rearview camera system to complement the rear park assist feature (standard on 2LT and 2SS; available on 1LT and 1SS)
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Standard four-wheel disc brake system featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on all Camaro models. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Camaro also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.