The Chevrolet Equinox crossover combines the segment’s best highway fuel economy, great design and handy features for customers who want the versatility of an SUV and the efficiency and maneuverability of a smaller vehicle.
The Equinox seats five and is available in LS, LT and LTZ models with available all-wheel drive. When equipped with the standard Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine, the FWD Equinox achieves an EPA-estimated 32 mpg on the highway. That means a highway-only cruising range of up to 600 miles on a single tank of fuel. For 2012, this engine adds FlexFuel capability on vehicles with federal emissions, meaning it can operate on regular unleaded fuel, E85 ethanol or a combination of both.
A 3.0L V-6 engine is available on LT and LTZ models and delivers 25 mpg on the highway. This engine also is FlexFuel-capable on vehicles with federal emissions.
Equinox sales have been consistently strong since its launch in 2009, and many of its buyers are new to the Chevrolet family.
- Chevrolet’s signature global face – two-tier grille and prominent gold bowtie insignia combines with strong fender shapes, distinctive premium roofline, wraparound headlamps and dual round taillamps.
- Multi-dimensional hood, wraparound rear side glass and wheels-at-the-corners stance.
- Improved aerodynamic performance through a number of features, including a sleeker profile that was achieved by moving the base of the windshield three inches forward.
- Integrated rocker panels make getting in and out of the Equinox easier.
- Chrome trim and flush-fitting, “exposed edge” windshield and rear glass provide an upscale appearance and reduce wind noise.
Equinox interior – standard and available features
- Available Chevrolet MyLink (interim availability) is an in-car infotainment package that seamlessly integrates online services such as Pandora® Internet Radio and Stitcher SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth® device connectivity for select smart phones.
- Standard blind-spot mirrors on all models and rear camera standard on 1LT model for improved visibility.
- Lane departure warning system and forward collision alert available on LTZ when equipped with the 3.0L V-6 engine.
- A new, seven-inch color touch screen radio with USB port is standard on 1LT, 2LT and LTZ. It supports multiple functions and includes an album art display.
- New seven-inch color touch screen navigation system with SD card maps and USB is available on 2LT and LTZ.
- Family-friendly features include several storage bins, an oversized glove box, a closed storage under the center armrest big enough to accommodate a laptop computer, four 12-volt power outlets and eight cup and bottle holders.
- Smart remote starting system that also activates the climate control system, with optional heated seats depending on outside temperature.
- Floating center stack houses ergonomic comfort and convenience controls.
- Ice-blue ambient lighting accentuates key areas of the cabin and provides an upscale look and feel.
- Standard MultiFlex rear seat capability allows the seat to be moved fore or aft nearly eight inches (203 mm) for best-in-class rear legroom. With the 60/40 split-back rear seat moved all the way forward, the cargo area offers 31.4 cubic feet (889 liters) of storage.
- Front and rear seats are designed for best-in-class comfort.
- Segment-exclusive rear programmable power liftgate and memory driver seat and mirror system are standard on LTZ.
- Range of standard and available audio systems, including a Pioneer Premium System with up to eight speakers and 250 watts of output.
- Standard OnStar with Directions and Connections navigation and SiriusXM Satellite Radio with limited free service.
- Noise-absorbing elements in the chassis, engine compartment and interior and windshield glass make the cabin noticeably quiet. 2.4L models feature an Active Noise Cancellation system that contributes to exceptional quietness and improved fuel economy.
- Vehicle personalization capabilities allow Equinox owners to tailor features to suit their personal preferences.
Chassis and suspension
Equinox is built on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. These elements create a solid, quiet driving experience.
- Strong structure with four-wheel independent suspension system for greater control and driver feedback.
- Rack-mounted electronic power steering on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.0L V-6-equipped models.
- Available all-wheel drive.
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control and rollover mitigation technology help keeps the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver.
- Trailering anti-sway control and hill hold assist feature.
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock brakes with traction control and electronic brake force distribution to help maximize braking performance.
Efficient, proven powertrains
Both the standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.0L V-6 in the Chevrolet Equinox feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing technology.
- Standard 2.4L Ecotec direct-injected I-4 engine delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with segment-best highway fuel economy of 32 mpg (on FWD version) and up to 600 miles of highway-only cruising range per tank. E85 FlexFuel capability is available on vehicles with federal emissions.
- Available 3.0L direct-injected V-6 engine is rated at 264 horsepower (197 kW) with EPA-estimated fuel economy of 24 mpg (FWD version.) On vehicles with federal emissions, the engine can operate on E85 ethanol, regular unleaded fuel or a combination of both. E85 ethanol is made of renewable plant materials and helps reduce both greenhouse gases and petroleum consumption.
- Efficient six-speed automatic transmission with an “Eco” mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel economy.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Chevrolet Equinox is equipped with safety features designed to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one.
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax front seat-mounted side air bags
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation The StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System with Traction Control and rollover mitigation is designed to improve vehicle stability on most road surfaces, especially during emergency maneuvers.
- Daytime running lamps make the Equinox more visible to other drivers and to pedestrians
- Rear-vision camera helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle
- A solid structure includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
All Chevrolet Equinox models are equipped with segment-exclusive OnStar technology, which includes the Advanced Crash Response System, hands-free calling, vehicle diagnostics, emergency service support, and six months of the Directions and Connections plan for hands-free route guidance.
- The Advanced Crash Response System uses vehicle sensors, GPS and digital cellular phone technology to summon emergency responders in the event of a moderate to severe crash, even when the vehicle’s occupants are unable to do so.
- Directions and Connections technology provides voice-activated route guidance support and eNav service that allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Stolen Vehicle Location capability helps law enforcement officials find a subscriber’s vehicle in the event it is stolen.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology allows an OnStar advisor to remotely cut off power to a stolen vehicle in the event it is involved in a police chase.
- OnStar 9.0 technology offers improved voice recognition capabilities for regional phrases and dialects.