2009 CADILLAC CTS DELIVERS AN AWARD-WINNING PACKAGE OF DESIGN, TECHNOLOGY AND CRAFTSMANSHIP
The Cadillac CTS enters 2009 riding a wave of acclaim from critics and consumers. The 2008 Motor Trend Car of the Year, Cadillac’s sports sedan may be entering the elite class of the auto world’s most desired cars, thanks to a remarkable blend of dramatic design, technology and craftsmanship.
CTS sales are rising sharply, with monthly sales increases consistently exceeding 50 percent. In 2009, the top of the CTS range expands with the heavily anticipated introduction of CTS-V, the 550-horsepower (410 kW) model representing Cadillac’s ultimate expression of performance and luxury.
“CTS is earning the acclaim of luxury buyers, the most discerning critics,” said Jim Taylor, Cadillac general manager. “It has earned a position as one of the premier luxury sports sedans, further strengthening Cadillac’s historic resurgence into the top tier of global luxury brands.”
The redesigned CTS has also been lauded for its safety. Features such as a robust body structure that helps absorb crash energy and six standard air bags – including a segment-first dual depth passenger frontal air bag, active headrests and head curtain side air bags – helped it earn a Top Safety Pick recognition by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety.
Changes to 2009 Cadillac CTS are evolutionary, comprising content and feature revisions that reflect market demands.
At a glance, there is no mistaking the CTS for anything but a contemporary Cadillac. Signature exterior cues include vertically oriented “light pipes,” horizontal spline lines and a dihedral-shaped hood. It also strikes a sporting stance, with a wide track, communicating a dramatic presence unlike most traditional luxury sedans and the car’s performance capabilities
CTS’ athletic form is characterized by sculpted fenders. They feature side air extractors that recall a styling element from Cadillac’s Sixteen concept car; and an UltraView ”double” sunroof is available, spanning both the front and rear seats.
Seven-spoke, 17-inch wheels or available nine-spoke, 18-inch wheels surround the CTS’ high-performance brake calipers and rotors. Both painted and machined finishes are available for the standard 17-inch wheels. The larger, 18-inch wheels are available in a premium multicoat finish or a high-polish finish.
The CTS’ interior emphasizes technical precision with elegant, hand-crafted details. Analog instrumentation is streamlined and defined by bright accents. An integrated center stack design, with either a satin metallic finish or genuine Sapele Pommele wood, blends into the lower instrument panel that sweeps forward and away of front-seat occupants. The hand-assembled center console leads seamlessly into the center stack, providing a sportier “cockpit” feel for the driver and passenger without compromising space.
Available heated and ventilated seats incorporate “thin-seat” technology for maximum occupant comfort and enhanced rear-seat leg, knee and foot room. French stitching is used throughout the interior, including the upper instrument panel, door inserts, seats and the shifter boot. The leather-wrapped steering wheel includes standard integrated controls for cruise and audio system.
Clean, white ambient light emitting diode (LED) accent lighting is available, positioned in the door pulls, foot wells and recessed between the upper and lower instrument panels. The result is a dramatic effect similar to recessed lighting used in contemporary homes.
Direct injection technology helps the CTS offer more power while maintaining fuel economy and lowering emissions. It delivers fuel more precisely to increase the efficiency of combustion. This means less fuel is consumed and lower emissions created. With the CTS’ 3.6L V-6, this translates to 304 horsepower (227 kW),* no loss of fuel efficiency and a 25-percent drop in cold-start hydrocarbon emissions. It also runs on less expensive regular unleaded gasoline.
The standard 3.6L VVT engine that produces 263 horsepower (196 kW) and 253 lb.-ft (343 Nm) of torque serves as the base engine in North America and is available in rear- and all-wheel-drive layouts.
The 2.8L VVT engine is available only on rear-drive models of the CTS offered outside the U.S. It is an all-aluminum, 60-degree DOHC, four-valve-per-cylinder engine that develops 211 horsepower (157 kW) at 6,800 rpm and 182 lb.-ft. (247 Nm) of torque at 3,600 rpm.
All CTS engines are matched with fuel-saving six-speed transmissions, including an Aisin six-speed manual or an electronically controlled Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic. The Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic features driver shift control, which enables on-demand clutch-less manual shifts.
On vehicles equipped with AWD, the 6L50 is partnered with an active transfer case that automatically transfers torque from the rear to the front of the vehicle for optimal traction, safety and performance. The AWD system’s default setting is a 40/60 torque split, but as the conditions merit, all of the torque can be applied to either axle. A limited-slip differential also is available.
The CTS chassis enables a great balance of performance and luxury. The hardware includes structural enhancements via a tower-to-tower brace; large, four-wheel disc brakes and premium steering. Three suspension tuning levels are available: FE1 with 17-inch wheels; FE2 with 18-inch wheels and all-season tires and the performance-oriented FE3, with 18-inch summer performance tires.
For 2009, the highly capable Summer Performance package receives a major new addition, as steering wheel-mounted shifters for the six-speed automatic transmission are included.
The CTS uses ann independent short/long arm ( SLA) front suspension system. Its performance characteristics are optimized with the use of aluminum for the upper and lower control arms, as well as the knuckles, reducing overall mass.
Hydraulic control arm front bushings are used for motion control and help minimize high-speed road vibration by damping energy transmitted through the vehicle structure. Also, hollow front stabilizer bars bring weight savings and are sized specifically to each of the three available suspension levels.
A multi-link rear suspension, with a fully isolated subframe, delivers excellent suspension kinematics that contributes to a superior ride with excellent handling. It provides maximum tuning flexibility so that the suspension can be tuned to react in a predetermined manner, such as during high-lateral cornering forces, where the rear wheels will respond with the correct camber and toe to avoid rapid destabilizing changes.
The CTS features advanced chassis technology in the form of Cadillac’s StabiliTrak electronic chassis control system. It integrates the car’s standard four-channel ABS with the full-function traction control, hydraulic brake assist and engine drag control systems.
Craftsmanship and quietness
Every CTS features Cadillac’s “cut-and-sew” interior process that combines advanced technology with the hand-rendered precision of expert craftsmen. Coverings for components such as the instrument panel, center console and door trim are cut, sewn and wrapped by hand. This enables details such as decorative French stitching and the near elimination of gaps and seams, for a superbly tailored appearance.
Quietness is another measure of CTS’ craftsmanship. Detailed analysis of sound and vibration was lavished on the CTS during its development. This reduced overall cabin noise via improved body sealing and sound insulation. It also focused on tuning the quality of the remaining sound. A perforated pattern, for example, has been added to the inside of the tailpipes to increase resonance, adding more pleasing, low-frequency sounds to counteract high-frequency noise.
On the exterior, quieting elements and manufacturing techniques include an innovative laser brazing process that affixes the roof panel more crisply; installing the windshield glass without visible rubber seals and joints; and triple-sealed doors.
Infotainment and vehicle technology
CTS incorporates the best attributes, advanced technologies and electronics, including:
- Integrated iPod/MP3 capability – Designed in consultation with the engineers behind the iPod and other computer and entertainment industry experts, the center console of the CTS is tailored for MP3 players, iPods or other digital music devices. They can be charged via a USB port, which also enables playlists to appear on the car’s touch-screen, and steering wheel controls can be used to advance tracks.
- Hard drive audio system – A 40-gigabyte hard drive allows pausing and rewinding of live radio, as well as “ripping” tracks from CDs. The hard drive enables 60-minute “buffering” of the car’s radio, meaning that passengers can “pause” a live broadcast in order to take a phone call, or even leave the car to run an errand, or simply rewind to listen again.
- Navigation system – The navigation system includes 3D imaging of more than 800 major landmarks in 39 U.S. cities, voice recognition and real-time traffic and weather data. This available system uses an eight-inch diagonal, high-resolution full VGA infotainment display head with full touch-screen operation. The screen can retract into the instrument panel when not in use.
- Adaptive forward lighting system – When equipped with the uplevel HID headlamps, the CTS also includes an advanced forward lighting system that automatically adjusts headlamp direction for improved nighttime driving visibility. The system is capable of turning the headlamps a maximum of 5 degrees inboard and 15 degrees outboard on each lamp.
- Available Bluetooth connectivity – CTS is equipped from the factory for Bluetooth wireless connectivity of cell phones and other electronic data devices. It enables hands-free phone connectivity, providing easier and safer calling and dialing.
- Keyless Access and Smart Remote Start – The optional Keyless Access system enables passive vehicle and trunk entry and keyless ignition via a personalized keyless fob. With the fob in a pocket or purse, a person can approach a locked vehicle, pull the door handle and open the door or trunk. The optional Smart Remote Start system – which operates from as far as 200 feet – not only starts the vehicle via fob activation, but also activates the climate control and the optional heated and cooled seats, depending on temperatures outside and inside the car.
- Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround™ audio system – Developed by Bose, this available sound system delivers concert-quality sound normally reserved for home theaters. The 300-watt, 10-speaker system incorporates the exclusive Bose Centerpoint technology, producing rich and spacious sound. Even the base audio system is a Bose unit, with an eight-speaker arrangement.
- Ultrasonic park assist and more - Other useful electronic systems on the '08 CTS include an available rear ultrasonic park assist, heated and ventilated front seats and power rake/telescoping steering column.
The 2009 CTS is designed to enhance Cadillac’s reputation for providing safe occupant environments in luxury vehicles. Details include:
- Dual-stage driver front air bag
- Segment-first dual depth front passenger air bag
- Driver and front passenger side seat-mounted pelvic/thorax side air bags
- Roof-rail side curtain air bags, cover front and rear seating rows
- Front safety belt pretensioners
- Tire pressure monitoring system
- Body structure with strategically placed high-strength steel
As with other Cadillac models, the 2009 CTS comes standard with OnStar with Turn-by-Turn Navigation, the first factory-installed, fully integrated GPS navigation system from OnStar. Turn-by-Turn allows consumers to talk to a live advisor, who in turn sends complete step-by-step directions to customers' vehicles through their OnStar system. These audio directions automatically play through the vehicle’s stereo as needed, triggered by the OnStar system’s GPS capabilities. This enables drivers to be led to their destination while keeping their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
# # #
Contact: David Caldwell
Product Development Communications
Antonio Sanchez Jimenez
Gerente de Relaciones Públicas y Comunicación
General Motors de Mexico