The Buick Regal with available eAssist™ fuel-saving technology – all-new for 2012 – gives customers the best of both worlds: a premium, no-apologies driving experience and fuel economy of 25 mpg city/36 mpg highway.
Mated to Regal’s 2.4L Ecotec direct injection four-cylinder engine and next-generation six-speed automatic transmission, the eAssist system uses power stored in the lithium-ion battery to provide needed electrical boost in various driving situations, optimizing engine and transmission operation. Combined with the vehicle’s regenerative braking capability, the eAssist system increases combined city/highway fuel economy more than 25 percent over the standard four-cylinder/six-speed powertrain.
Regal with eAssist goes on sale in the fall of 2011. It is an available powertrain option on Regal models equipped with the 2.4L engine. Regal with eAssist offers the range of luxury and convenience packages offered on other 2.4L-equipped models.
- Exclusive to eAssist
- Improved underbody aerodynamics and tires optimized for performance and fuel economy.
- Single-outlet, stainless steel exhaust with hidden, turned-down tip for efficiency and streamlined look.
- Seventeen-inch aluminum wheels and low rolling-resistance tires.
All Regal models
- Flowing silhouette, coupe-like proportions and large wheels suggest motion from all angles.
- Short rear deck and tucked-in body panels characteristic of a contemporary sport sedan. Bold taillamps and intricate lighting elements underscore attention to detail.
- Feeling of flow and motion extends inside the car, where side panels flow uninterrupted into the instrument panel.
- Gauges and controls have the look of expensive sport timepieces and are lit with ice-blue LED lights.
- The center stack was designed to provide a lower instrument panel profile more inviting to drivers.
- Firm, highly bolstered seats benchmarked against the top import competitors for comfort and support.
Regal interior – standard and available features
- Standard equipment includes: Dual-zone air conditioning; seven-speaker, AM/FM/XM stereo, single-disc CD and MP3 player, 3.5 mm audio input jack, USB port for iPod connectivity, speed-compensated volume and TheftLock; OnStar; Bluetooth for phone; Sirius XM Satellite Radio with three free months of service; leather-appointed and heated driver and front passenger seats; remote keyless entry; leather-wrapped steering wheel.
- Premium 1 equipment group adds: 120-volt power outlet; extended-range E-Z Key Passive Entry System and automatic door lock/unlock features; push-button keyless start; ultrasonic park assist; front passenger eight-way power and four-way power lumbar seats; Universal Home Remote, remote start and chrome accent door handles.
- Premium 2 equipment group adds: harman/kardon 336-watt, 5.1 Matrix Surround Sound with nine speakers, rear seat-mounted thorax side-impact air bags, HID headlamps with flash-to-pass feature, automatic on/off, automatic delay and warning buzzer.
- Standard Buick IntelliLink (later availability) uses Bluetooth or USB to connect the driver’s smart phone to a high-resolution, full-color touch screen display radio that enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services like PANDORA® Internet Radio and Stitcher SmartRadio®.
- IntelliLink complements the safety, security and connectivity services of OnStar, also standard on all Regal models. With a simple button touch, voice command or via a downloadable smartphone app, Regal owners can access popular OnStar services such as Turn-by-Turn navigation and destination download, hands-free calling, remote door unlock, vehicle diagnostics, emergency assistance and much more.
Exclusive to eAssist models
- Driver-selectable, fuel economy-optimizing ECO mode for the air conditioning system enables more frequent and longer-duration engine stop periods. A/C can also be turned off completely.
- ECO gauge on the instrument panel continuously responds to driving behavior, enabling the driver to drive with greater efficiency.
- Powerflow readout in the color infotainment or driver information center shows the flow of energy through the eAssist system, such as battery charging from regeneration and electric power directed to the engine.
Chassis and suspension
The Regal’s chassis and structural systems were developed globally and they give the Regal the handling and dynamics of a luxury import sport sedan and the quiet, refined ride expected of a Buick.
- One of the most rigid body structures in the segment supports more precise suspension tuning and a quieter ride.
- Long wheelbase of 107.8 inches (2738 mm) gives the Regal refined, well-balanced vehicle dynamics and supports comfortable ride tuning.
- Independent MacPherson strut-type front suspension, a four-link independent rear suspension, electric rack-and-pinion power steering and optimized four-wheel disc brakes are designed to provide ride and handling that balances comfort and sportiness.
- Latest-generation electronic stability control (StabiliTrak), anti-lock brake system (ABS) and traction control system (TCS) are standard.
- Hill-assist system captures brake pressure to help the driver more comfortably accelerate from a stop on a moderate or steep grade when the engine is in shut-down mode.
Regal with eAssist powertrain
The eAssist system works with Regal’s direct injected 2.4L Ecotec four-cylinder and next-generation six-speed automatic powertrain combination. In the Regal with eAssist, the engine is rated at 182 horsepower (136 kW).
- eAssist system uses power stored in the lithium-ion battery to provide needed electrical boost in various driving scenarios, optimizing engine and transmission operation.
- Advanced 115V, 0.5-kWh lithium-ion battery and latest-generation 15-kW motor-generator unit help increase fuel economy through:
- Regenerative braking, which provides up to 15 kW of electricity to charge the battery
- Providing up to 11 kW (15 hp) of electric power assistance during acceleration
- Automatic engine shut-off when the vehicle is stopped
- Aggressive fuel cut-off during deceleration down to zero vehicle speed, enabled by the torque smoothing provided by the motor-generator unit
- Intelligent charge/discharge of the high-voltage battery.
eAssist power pack
- 65-pound (29 kg) eAssist power pack, manufactured by GM, contains the lithium-ion battery pack, integrated power inverter and 12V power supply.
- Electric fan cools the power pack, drawing air from a vent located in the package tray, behind the rear seat.
- Electric motor-generator is mounted to the engine in place of the alternator to provide motor assist and electric-generating functions through a unique engine belt-drive system.
Next-generation six-speed transmission
- Significant internal changes to clutch controls and hardware provide reduced spin losses while improving shift response and time.
- Electric power provided by the eAssist system allows for higher gearing to improve steady state efficiency without impacting acceleration or driveability.
- Ability to provide some electric assistance at cruising speeds allows the driver to accelerate lightly or ascend mild grades without the transmission downshifting.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Regal offers standard and available safety features designed to protect occupants before, during and after a crash. Safety-enhancing features include:
- Six standard air bags including dual-stage frontal and side-impact air bags. Rear seat thorax side-impact air bags are available.
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and air bag passenger sensing system to detect the presence of a small adult or child in the front passenger seat.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control helps drivers maintain vehicle control in certain driving situations, and helps mitigate rollover crashes.
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with brake assist and traction control.
- Daytime running lamps to improve visibility to other vehicles as well as pedestrians.
- LATCH system for safe and secure attachment of child safety seats.
- Available ultrasonic rear parking assist with audible warning.
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
All Regal models are equipped with segment-exclusive OnStar technology, which includes the Advanced Crash Response System, emergency assistance, remote vehicle diagnostics, six months of the Directions and Connections plan for route guidance support and OnStar RemoteLink.
OnStar RemoteLink allows Regal owners with certain smart phones to download an app to start the vehicle remotely, as well as get information on the fuel tank's level and range, the remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure, and lifetime average miles per gallon. In addition users can access the current odometer reading, vehicle ID (VIN) and OnStar account number, plus call a dedicated representative for advice or assistance.
Other OnStar services:
- The Advanced Crash Response System uses vehicle sensors, GPS and digital cellular phone technology to summon emergency responders to a crash scene even when the vehicle’s occupants are unable to do so.
- Stolen Vehicle Location capability helps law enforcement officials find subscribers’ vehicle in the event they are stolen.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology allows an OnStar advisor to remotely cut off power to the vehicle in the event of a police chase.
- OnStar 9.0 technology offers improved voice recognition capabilities for regional phrases and dialects.