BUICK LACROSSE SEDAN BLENDS ELEGANCE AND EFFICIENCY
The Buick LaCrosse luxury sedan introduced Buick’s reinvented passenger sedan lineup that now includes the Regal and Verano. Its sculpted design, craftsmanship, premium materials and advanced technologies have helped change consumers’ perceptions about Buick.
LaCrosse is available in a five trim levels, including LaCrosse (1SB), Leather (1SL), Premium I (1SP), Premium II (1SR) and Touring (1ST) trim levels.
LaCrosse offers two powertrains: an Ecotec 2.4L engine with eAssist light electrification technology (standard on 1SB and 1SL) that achieves an EPA-estimated 36 mpg on the highway; or an efficient 3.6L direct-injected V-6 with E85 capability (available on 1SB and 1SL and standard on 1SP, 1SR and 1ST.) LaCrosse is available in front-wheel drive and all-wheel drive.
Buick’s easy-to-use IntelliLink color touch radio that debuted last year on the LaCrosse is now also available in combination with GPS-enabled navigation for 2013. Buick IntelliLink uses Bluetooth or USB to connect the driver’s smart phone – via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls – to an eight-inch, high-resolution, full-color touch-screen display radio.
IntelliLink also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through services such as PANDORA ® Internet radio and Stitcher SmartRadio ®.
Later in the model year, XM Travel Link (SiriusXM Satellite Radio subscription required) will be available. It includes refueling locations with pricing information, weather and movie theater locations.
Buick IntelliLink enables seamless integration of stowed portable devices, allowing drivers to keep their hands on the wheel and eyes on the road.
Designed to represent modern elegance, the LaCrosse exterior and interior are a balance of contrasts: The outside is characterized by taut lines with sensuous accents and surfaces. Inside, a flowing, uninterrupted design theme wraps around the instrument and door panels. It includes smoked chrome accents, warm wood, first-class leather and materials combined with ice blue ambient lighting to create an inviting environment.
Meticulous attention to detail includes tight gap tolerances, analog instrument cluster, chrome offset by dark woodgrain accents, and contrasting stitching on the instrument panel.
Buick’s signature QuietTuning – a Buick-exclusive engineering process to reduce, block and absorb interior noise – provides a distraction-free cabin.
LaCrosse standard and available equipment
As expected of a premium sedan, the entry level (1SB) LaCrosse offers a comprehensive list of standard equipment, including:
- Six air bags, including side curtain air bags
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control
- Traction control
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with Intelligent Brake Assist
- OnStar (complimentary six months of Directions and Connections service)
- Premium audio system with AM/FM/SiriusXM Radio (with three months of service), Bluetooth, USB port, CD player, auxiliary input jack, steering wheel-mounted controls, Buick IntelliLink eight-inch color touch-screen radio
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel
- Dual-zone automatic climate control
- Remote keyless entry
- Power windows with driver and front passenger express up/down
- Heated and power outside rearview mirrors
- Electric parking brake
- High-resolution driver information center
- Auto-dimming inside rearview mirror
- Four-way power driver lumbar
- Remote start
- Universal Home Remote.
LaCrosse trim levels progressively add standard equipment with packages. Five trim levels and eight packages allow customers to easily configure their ideal LaCrosse.
- LaCrosse Leather (1SL) – Adds Leather Package: leather-appointed seats, heated front seats, front passenger eight-way power seat adjuster, front halogen fog lamps with projector technology; Comfort and Convenience 2 Package: rear park assist, driver’s side memory seat and mirror settings, auto-dimming outside rearview mirror with LED indicators and auto-dimming feature, and rear backup camera
- LaCrosse Premium I (1SP) – Adds Luxury Package: perforated leather-appointed and ventilated front seats, leather and wood grain heated steering wheel, power rear sunshade, passive entry/push-button start
- LaCrosse Premium II (1SR ) – Adds Entertainment Package: harman/kardon audio system, 11-speaker 5.1 Matrix surround system and power outlet; and Sport Package: 18-inch chrome wheels and HiPer Strut front suspension
- LaCrosse Touring (1ST ) – Adds Touring Package: 19-inch painted, machined alloy wheels and P245/40R19 tires; rear H-arm suspension; continuously variable real-time dampening and sport mode selectivity; Driver Confidence Package: Side Blind Zone Alert, head-up display, articulating high-intensity discharge (HID) headlamps; and GPS-enabled navigation system.
Efficient, proven powertrains, including eAssist
The LaCrosse is equipped with a choice of two efficient engines: the standard Ecotec 2.4L four-cylinder engine with e Assist light electrification technology, rated at 182 horsepower (136 kW); and an available 3.6L V-6 that is E85 ethanol-capable. Both are mated to efficient six-speed transmissions.
LaCrosse was the first GM passenger car to offer eAssist: It achieves EPA fuel economy of 25 mpg city and 36 mpg highway using a lithium-ion battery system and electric motor-generator to enable regenerative braking capability. Instead of providing all-electric propulsion, the system provides power assistance to the internal combustion engine.
The e Assist system also allows the engine to shut down fuel delivery in certain deceleration situations, which saves additional fuel. While in fuel shut-off mode, the motor-generator unit continues spinning along with the engine to provide immediate and smooth take-off power when the driver presses the accelerator.
Other fuel-saving attributes on the LaCrosse with eAssist include aerodynamic features such as front lower active grille shutters and underbody aero panels, as well as low rolling-resistance tires and single-outlet hidden exhaust.
A next-generation six-speed transmission is paired with the Ecotec 2.4L engine with eAssist . Changes to clutch controls and hardware provide reduced spin losses while improving shift response and time. An auxiliary, electric-driven oil pump keeps the transmission primed and fluid flowing when the engine shuts down at a stop.
An efficient, 3.6L direct-injected V-6 is available on 1SB and 1SL, and standard on 1SP, 1SR and 1ST. Introduced to LaCrosse in the 2012 model year, it delivers an SAE-certified 303 horsepower (226 kW) at 6,800 rpm.
LaCrosse ride and handling
All LaCrosse models are equipped with technologies that help provide exceptional ride and handling and vehicle control.
An available all-wheel-drive system (available on 1SL and 1SP) provides full-time function. The system automatically decides how to distribute torque based on vehicle speed, throttle position and individual wheel slip, and it is integrated with the electronic traction control system to provide outstanding capability in inclement weather.
Four-wheel disc brakes with four-channel ABS and intelligent brake assist include large front discs and solid rear discs with lightweight, aluminum-body calipers at each corner. Under heavy braking; the system senses the severity of a braking situation and applies additional pressure when needed.
HiPer Strut on 1SR and 1ST equipment packages is a unique front suspension design that improves ride and handling by reducing torque steer; improving vehicle sensitivity to tire irregularities and wheel balance; more linear and communicative steering through improved camber control; and improved impact isolation on bumps and rough surfaces.
For 2013, electric power steering replaces the hydraulic power steering system on front-wheel-drive LaCrosse models equipped with the 3.6L V-6 engine.
The LaCrosse Touring Package also includes real-time damping and Sport Mode Selectivity, which uses four electronically controlled dampers to constantly “read” the road and make adjustments within milliseconds.
LaCrosse is offered with a family of 17-inch, 18-inch and 19-inch wheels.
- LaCrosse with eAssist: Standard 17-inch machined alloy wheels and low rolling-resistance tires.
- LaCrosse with 3.6L V-6 (1SB, 1SL 1SP): Standard 18-inch machined-face painted alloy
- LaCrosse 3.6L V-6 (1SR): Standard chrome-plated wheel (available on 1SL, 1SP with V-6)
- LaCrosse 3.6L V-6 (1ST): Standard 19-inch nine-spoke painted, machined alloy.
LaCrosse safety and crash-avoidance features
LaCrosse offers standard and available safety features designed to protect occupants before, during and after a crash. When testing the 2011 LaCrosse, the federal government gave the LaCrosse a top safety score of five stars. Safety-enhancing features include:
- Six standard air bags including dual-stage frontal and side-impact air bags
- Available rear-seat thorax air bags
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and a ir bag passenger sensing system to detect the presence of a small adult or child in the front passenger seat.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control to help mitigate rollover crashes, and traction control
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with Intelligent Brake Assist
- Available ultrasonic rear parking assist
- Available Side Blind Zone Alert technology that notifies the driver if a vehicle in the adjacent lane is traveling in the driver’s blind spot. The available rearview camera features a display in the navigation system screen
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on LaCrosse. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
LaCrosse features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.