The all-new Chevrolet Spin is a global vehicle developed by the design and engineering teams in GM do Brasil, with inputs from GM engineers from the Southeast Asian (SEA) region. It is a full seven-seater sub-compact (B-segment in Thailand) MPV (Multipurpose Vehicle) designed to offer space, comfort, versatility, efficiency and superior ride and handling in an edgy, contemporary and muscular package.
A team of GM engineers from SEA was also involved in the design and development of the Spin from the beginning to provide valuable feedback and develop the MPV for application in the region.
The Spin is an important addition to Chevrolet’s product portfolio in Thailand and Southeast Asia. It will enhance Chevrolet’s brand and product footprint, enabling the automaker to address yet another segment in the region’s competitive automotive industry, and chart further growth.
The Spin will be manufactured in GM Indonesia’s facility in Bekasi and in addition to Indonesia and Thailand it will also be exported to the Philippines. It will be officially launched at the upcoming 34th Bangkok International Motor Show 2013. Chevrolet will also start accepting bookings for the Spin at the Motor Show.
Development and Validation
- Design work started in 2007, and the first production units rolled off GM do Brasil’s plant in the middle of 2012
- Development work also took place in SEA and Korea, in addition to Brazil.
- The regional team provided market data, benchmarking and feedback on development evaluations. They also supported the development of components along with suppliers and the plant
- Validation tests were conducted on four continents, including SEA. The regional team tested the Spin’s vehicle performance for NVH (noise, vibration and harshness), comfort, ride and handling and powertrain performance on roads in the region
- The regional team also provided inputs specific to domestic requirements, including flexible seating arrangements and positions, driver arrangement (for left- and right-hand-drive versions), passenger accommodation and fuel considerations
- On right-hand-drive versions, some powertrain variants and air-conditioning for the rear compartment were developed to meet specific local requirements.
- Clinics were held around the world, including in SEA, to provide the development team with important data including customer perceptions and country-specific conditions. These were incorporated into the final production model, to provide the Spin with a good balance of design, features and performance to suit all regions
- Matt Noone was the Exterior Design Director, GM do Brasil
- The direction was to create and develop a vehicle with muscular lines and presence with modern and expressive proportions
- The result is a vehicle that has an imposing stance with unique proportions, personality and visual appeal
- A high belt-line and impressive side-lines make the Spin look bigger than it is, in addition to providing a touch of ruggedness
- The muscular lines also help maximize the vehicle’s aerodynamics
- Thicker metal sheets are used to enhance quality, safety and robustness
- Dagoberto Tribia is the Interior Design Director, GM do Brasil
- The main criteria was to create a seven-seater MPV with comfort and flexibility for all passengers in a compact environment
- The Spin seats seven in comfort, and the seats are arranged ‘theatre style’ to provide all occupants with better all-round view and enhance a sense of roominess
- The high driving position also provides the driver with better visibility while reducing fatigue
- The Spin has 23 configurable seating positions and features 32 storage spaces
- It features Chevrolet’s famous ‘dual-cockpit’ dashboard with two-tone trims to provide a premium feel
- A touch of contemporary sportiness is provided by a digital speedometer, flanked by an analog tachometer and switches finished in silver and chrome accents
- The instruments binnacle also comes with a special font and ice-blue illumination
- The Spin has a cargo capacity of 162 liters (seven-seater configuration), which increases to 864 liters with the rear-most seats folded and goes up to 1,608 liters with all seats folded
- Reduction of NVH inside the cabin is achieved via generous use of sound-deadening technology and materials that impair NVH from passing from one part of the vehicle to another. This isolates the interior from engine, road and outside noise and vibrations, providing occupants with a quiet and refined interior
- The Spin has a wheelbase of 2,620 millimeters, and a length x width x height of 4,360 x 1,953 x 1,683 millimeters. The LTZ variant weighs 1,277 kg. comes with a 50-liter fuel tank
- It has a front/rear track of 1,503 and 1,509 millimeters (respectively), a configuration which improves handling and stability. Tire sizes are 195/65 R15. The ride height of the Spin is 191 millimeters
- It features a fully-independent McPherson strut front suspension with coil springs and stabilizer bars and has a semi-independent torsion beam, coil springs and stabilizer bars at the rear
- The suspension has been tuned to provide best-in-segment ride and handling – the Spin is pliant and comfortable in city driving and stable when cruising at highway speeds. The handling has been tuned to offer the driver with a responsive control without sacrificing passenger comfort
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering system is standard
- A combination of ventilated disc (front) and drum (rear) brakes provide the Spin with surefooted braking.
Powertrain and Transmission
- In Thailand, the Spin is offered with a 1.5L gasoline engine that produces 107 PS at 6,000 rpm and 148 Nm at 3,800 rpm. The engine also features DOHC (Double-Overhead Camshafts), 16 valves, Dual-VVT (Variable Valve Timing) and multi-point fuel injection
- The Spin comes with a six-speed automatic transmission with driver shift control – a segment first. Ratios for the transmission have been optimized to match the power characteristics of the engine to give the best performance and fuel economy
Variants & Features
- In Thailand the Spin is available in LTZ trim. It comes with standard features including dual air-conditioning (front/rear), four-speaker CD/MP3 player, USB and Bluetooth connectivity, DC power outlets, Follow-Me-Home safety function and anti-theft system. It also comes with ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), airbag for driver and passenger, pre-tensioners for the front safety belts and roof rail.
Chevrolet Sonic Model Variant