Launched in Thailand in 2010, the Chevrolet Cruze has captured the hearts of thousands of customers with its contemporary design and outstanding driving dynamics. In 2012, it became the best-selling Chevrolet nameplate in the world with nearly 1.9 million units sold since its worldwide launch in 2009. For 2013, Chevrolet Sales Thailand has launched the new E85-capable Cruze 1.8L for the Thai market. This makes the Cruze an FFV (Flex-Fuel Vehicle), in line with Chevrolet's continued strategy to expand availability of alternative energy capabilities to customers. It is also a part of Chevrolet's environmental and CSR strategies in the region and around the world.
- New front bumper and stylish integrated fog-lamps.
- It also features a new headlight design with chrome bezels.
- New front grille accentuates the 'Chevy bowtie'.
- New rear bumper with a sporty bodyline.
- New five-spoke alloys wheels add to the Cruze's overall appeal.
- The iconic lines have been left largely untouched. The sporty, coupe-like proportion has contributed to a low drag coefficient of only 0.31Cd.
- The Cruze's high-quality interior has been upgraded with new upholstery trim.
- The center stack also features new grain and texture.
- New circular engine start/stop button is more ergonomic (for variants with key-less entry and ignition).
- The Corvette-inspired dual-cockpit layout and instruments have been retained.
- Steering wheel-mounted audio and cruise controls in selected model variants.
- Reduction in NVH (Noise/Vibration/Harshness) via hydraulic mechanisms to reduce engine noise, triple seals at the doors and a five-layer treatment for the roof's interior lining further isolate the passenger compartment.
- Graphic Information Center allows customization of language, internal and external lighting, door locking options, alarm, air-conditioning and audio devices.
- Auxiliary, Bluetooth and USB connectivity.
E85 (Flex-Fuel) Powertrain
- 1.8-liter ECOTEC powertrain updated with flex-fuel (E85) capability, allowing the Cruze to run on any form of gasoline, from pure gasoline to fuel with up to 85 percent ethanol.
- The four-cylinder engine features DOHC (Double Overhead Camshafts), 16-valves, MPI (Multi-Point Injection) and Double CVC (Double Continuous Variable Cam Phasing).
- MPI and CVC work together with VIM (Variable Intake Manifold) to optimize intake and exhaust settings across all engine speeds.
- A recalibrated software and ECU (Electronic Control Unit) to ensure the Cruze is able to run on anything from E0 (pure gasoline) to E85 (gasoline with 85 percent ethanol).
- Various sensors, larger injectors and fuel delivery system with a higher flow-rate, work in tandem with the Cruze's computer to detect the amount of ethanol content in the fuel and adjust fuel flow-rates and ignition timing accordingly. This improves performance, reduces waste and decreases impact on the environment.
- The engine is 'hardened' to handle the different properties of ethanol. This includes the use of stainless steel in some parts of the engine. Valves and valve-seats are upgraded, while all rubber and fuel line components are ethanol-compatible.
- The use of E85 produces less carbon dioxide (a reduction of about 21 percent), carbon monoxide, nitrous oxide, sulfur dioxide, benzene and butadiene emissions.
- The engine also runs cleaner, even with just E10 or E20, since build-up of residue is reduced.
- The engine produces 141 horsepower at 6,200 rpm, and 177 Nm of torque at 3,800 rpm.
- A choice of next-generation 'Gen II' six-speed automatic transmission with driver shift control designed to provide more precise and smoother gearchanges in addition to better throttle response, and a five-speed manual transmission, is available.
Other Powertrain Options
- Electronically-controlled, Euro-4 compliant 2.0 liter, four-cylinder, 16-valve common-rail turbo-diesel engine with VCDi.
- Diesel engine features high pressure fuel system, glow-plug system improves airflow and swirl control of the air-fuel mixtures to deliver a maximum 163PS of power and 360Nm of torque.
- A balancer shaft is added to reduce noise, vibration and harshness (NVH).
- Special Diesel Particulate Filter helps reduce airborne pollutants in its emissions and contributes to the Cruze diesel's Euro-4 compliance.
- E20-capable 1.6 liter, four-cylinder, DOHC 16-valve gasoline engine incorporating Variable Geometry Intake System (VGIS) for smoother power delivery and torque across all engine speeds. It is rated at 109hp of power and 150 Nm of torque.
- The updated Cruze maintains its proven suspension setup that provides excellent driving control and stability in all conditions.
- The rigid monocoque also helps to enhance handling response.
- Underbody panels with a built-in diffuser are used extensively to promote smoother airflow under the car, further reducing wind-noise.
- All four wheels feature disc brakes (ventilated in front).
- The Cruze features proactive and reactive safety systems, including ABS (Anti-Lock Braking System), EBD (Electronic Brake-Force Distribution), ESP (Electronic Stability Programme), and traction control.
- It also comes with front airbags, four rear-side impact airbags (in LTZ variants) and collapsible foot pedals.
- The engine features collapsible mountings that give way and guide the engine underbody to prevent passenger-cell intrusion.
- The Cruze’s hood and its hinges are also designed to protect pedestrians.
- GMLAN (Electrical Architecture) responds quickly (at 500 kbps) to current driving conditions, increasing precision of the car’s electronic controls such as ABS, ESP, lighting systems, wipers and engine components.
- Auto Headlamps with 'Follow Me Home' function and wipers with Auto Rain Sensor.
- The Cruze has received best-in-class, five-star crash safety ratings in tough New Car Assessment Program (NCAP) tests in Europe, Australia, China and Korea.