The GMC Yukon / Yukon XL family of full-size SUVs, including the premium Yukon Denali and Yukon XL Denali, offer room for up to nine passengers and the capability – and space – to haul their cargo.
In preparation for an all-new Yukon, the 2014 lineup will have a shorter production run and carries over with essentially the same range of standard and available features.
All Yukon and Yukon Denali models are offered in 2WD and 4WD configurations (2WD and AWD with Denali). A third-row seat is standard on all Yukon models. Yukon models feature a 116-inch (2,946 mm) wheelbase and overall length of 202 inches (5,130 mm), which enables up to 3,084 liters of storage space (with the second-row seat folded and third-row seat removed).
Yukon XL models have exterior dimensions similar to the regular models, but are about 355.6 mm longer in wheelbase and 508 mm longer in overall length, offering 3,894 liters of maximum cargo space. In fact, Yukon XL / Yukon XL Denali offer the segment’s best cargo capacity behind the first-, second- and third-row seats.
With the available segment-exclusive second-row power fold-and-tumble seats, each seat releases, folds and tumbles out of the way with a simple, one-hand operation for easier access to the third-row seat.
Yukon and Yukon XL models feature a 5.3L V-8 with GM’s fuel-saving Active Fuel Management technology, while Denali models feature a 6.2L V-8. The 5.3L and 6.2L engines are capable of running on E85 ethanol and feature efficiency-enhancing technologies, including variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management.
Responsive steering, a wide track and low center of gravity contribute to a smooth, comfortable and secure driving experience. When it comes to towing capability, Yukon has a maximum rating of 3,855 kg and Yukon XL is rated at 3,674 kg.
Yukon Denali models
GMC’s unique Yukon Denali and Yukon XL Denali models are instantly identifiable by their signature chrome honeycomb grille and monochromatic exterior appointments. They also have unseen exclusive features, including an acoustical insulation package that helps make them quieter.
Standard content includes exclusive 20-inch wheels, power liftgate, power release second-row fold-and-tumble bucket seats, head curtain side air bags, power-adjustable pedals, electrochromic (auto-dimming) inside mirror, remote start system, rearview camera system and ultrasonic rear parking assist.
The interiors include standard Nuance perforated leather seating with heated and cooled first-row seats and heated second-row captain’s seats. A leather-wrapped, heated steering wheel with power tilt adjustment is standard on all Denali models, along with a color touch screen radio with navigation. Optional features include a power sunroof, power-retractable assist steps and a rear-seat, DVD-based entertainment system.
An exclusive interior acoustics package enhances interior quietness, while a Bose Centerpoint 10-speaker surround sound system adds all the sound an audiophile wants.
All Denali models are powered by a segment-leading 6.2L V-8 with variable valve timing and Active Fuel Management technology that is rated at 403 horsepower (301 kW).
Yukon design and exterior features
Yukon and Yukon XL feature the bold, chrome-trimmed grille that is a signature of the brand. Attention to detail is evident in the premium headlamp elements and precise gaps between body panels. Additional features include:
- Power-retractable assist steps available on Denali models
- Heated, power-operated outside mirrors are standard on all models
- Auto-dimming outside mirrors, with integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature is standard on Denali models and available on SLT
- Recovery hooks (frame-mounted) are standard on all models
- A power-operated liftgate is standard on Denali models and available on SLT Equipment Package
- Standard 17-inch aluminum wheels on SLE and SLT models
- Twenty-inch polished aluminum or chrome-clad wheels are available on SLE and SLT
- Exclusive 20-inch chrome aluminum wheels are standard on Denali models
Exterior colors: Onyx Black, Deep Indigo Metallic, Summit White, White Diamond Tricoat, Mocha Steel Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Quicksilver Metallic and Desert Sun Silver Metallic.
A chrome package is available on SLT models and includes chrome door handles, chrome mirror caps, polished exhaust tip, chrome recovery hooks, chrome grille, heated/power-adjustable and auto-dimming outside mirrors and 20-inch polished aluminum wheels.
Yukon interior standard and available features
Yukon and Yukon XL interiors are versatile. The third-row seats fold flat and are easily tumbled forward or removed for maximum cargo area. Also, the center console storage compartment, at 20.1 liters of capacity, is the segment’s largest. The glove box offers significant storage space, too, and features damped opening operation that bolsters quietness and refinement.
The Yukon and Yukon XL also offer a segment-exclusive power fold-and-tumble second-row seat that eases access to the third-row seat. They feature release buttons on the interior C-pillar to provide an easy, immediate release of the seat and an access path to the third-row seat or cargo area.
Standard and available interior content includes:
- Three rows of seating are standard on all models. The second row is available as a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split or two bucket seats. The third row features a 50/50-split design and is removable. The power-assisted second row seat release feature is standard on Denali and available on SLT models
- Leather-trimmed heated and cooled front bucket seats with 10-way seat adjusters are standard on Denali and available on SLT Heated second-row seat is standard on Denali and available on SLT
- Power flip and fold second-row seat release feature is standard on Denali and available on SLT
- Heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on Denali and available on SLT
- Tri-zone automatic climate control, with rear auxiliary air conditioning, is standard on all models
- Rear-seat entertainment system available on all models, including DVD player with remote control, overhead display, two sets of wireless infrared headphones, auxiliary audio/video jacks, remote game plug-in and mute button in overhead console
- Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound 10-speaker system is standard on Denali; Bose nine-speaker sound system on SLE and SLT
- Navigation radio with touch screen operation is standard on Denali and available on SLT
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models
- Power-adjustable pedals are standard on all models
- Remote vehicle starter system standard on all models.
Yukon and Yukon XL 1500 models are powered by a 5.3L V-8 that balances power and efficiency. Variable valve timing helps the 5.3L optimize performance, efficiency and emissions, while GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. The 5.3L engine features an aluminum cylinder block on Yukon/Yukon XL 1500 4WD models.
Yukon Denali models are equipped with a larger-displacement, 6.2L V-8 rated at 403 horsepower (301 kW) and 565Nm of torque. Like the 5.3L engine, it features variable valve timing technology and Active Fuel Management.
The 5.3L and 6.2L engines are E85-capable and matched with GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
Yukon chassis and suspension
All Yukon and Yukon XL 1500 models are built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, incorporating a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension with multi-link rear suspension and power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering. The stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
Wide front and rear tracks – 1,732 mm front / 1,702 mm rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel. The Autoride suspension system is standard on Denali and available SLT and features a segment-exclusive bi-state, real-time damping system that provides a refined ride with greatly reduced body motion. The system consists of a semi-active, two-position damping control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions, based on body and wheel motion sensors.
Additional features include:
- A single-speed transfer case is standard on SLE and SLT 4WD models
- Electronically controlled automatic all-wheel-drive system is available on Denali models
- A trailering package with a 3.42 axle ratio, integrated trailer brake control, external transmission cooler and engine oil cooler is available on SLE and SLT
- Autotrac two-speed transfer case part of the trailering package on SLE and SLT 4WD models
- The standard axle ratio on all Yukon and Yukon XL models is 3.08. A locking rear differential is standard.
The popular Z71 off-road suspension is available on SLE and SLT. Content includes off-road jounce bumpers, specially tuned springs, gas-charged monotube shocks, skid plate package, 17-inch aluminum wheels with on/off-road tires, Autotrac two-speed transfer case, heavy-duty trailering package and a high-capacity air cleaner.
Yukon safety and crash-avoidance features
GMC Yukon and Yukon XL have strong body structures that are designed to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows are standard, as are seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger that provide thorax and pelvic protection.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Rear park assist is standard on all models. It can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning
- A rearview camera system is standard on all models. It is designed to provide the driver with a view of people or objects behind the vehicle
- Side blind zone alert is standard on Denali and available on SLT with the SLT-2 Equipment Package
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- Standard LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Standard Remote Keyless Entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.