GMC TERRAIN / TERRAIN DENALI
New for 2014:
- Intellilink Color Touch Infotainment with Bluetooth and Rear Seat Entertainment
- 17-inch wheels standard on SLE models and SLT1
- 18-inch wheels standard on SLT2 and available on SLE2, SLT1
- Exterior colors: Copper Red Metallic, Silver Sky Metallic and Bronze Alloy Metallic
GMC Terrain is one of the most popular compact crossovers, introducing the brand’s commands respect driving experience to a new generation of drivers. The luxury-minded Terrain Denali offers a higher level of style, technology and amenities.
The 2014 lineup rolls with two new wheel offerings and three new exterior colors: Copper Red Metallic, Silver Sky Metallic and Bronze Alloy Metallic (late availability).
The new wheels complement the Terrain’s bold exterior design and include a 17-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheel that is standard on all SLE and SLT1 models. A new 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheel is standard on the SLT2 and available on SLE2 and SLT1 models.
Power and efficiency are highlighted by the standard Ecotec 2.4L four-cylinder, which features direct injection and camshaft phasing to optimize performance and fuel efficiency – enabling EPA-rated 13.6L/100km on the highway (FWD models). An available 3.6L V-6 engine with direct injection and continuously variable valve timing is SAE certified at 292 horsepower and 369 Nm of torque.
Terrain is offered in front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive models, in SLE and SLT trim levels, as well as the Denali. All models include four-wheel disc brakes with StabiliTrak electronic stability control and traction control, as well as six standard air bags: dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags.
The Terrain Denali brings an exceptional level of style, power and refinement to the segment. Unique exterior and interior appointments, exclusive wheels and design cues set it apart from competitors. A chrome grille, body-color fascias and rocker moldings, satin-chrome accents, specific headlamp and taillamp designs, and dual chrome-finish exhaust outlets (single outlet with the 2.4L) emit a look of superior finishes. Denali-specific 18-inch (with the 2.4L) or 19-inch (with the 3.6L) wheels complete its sculpted appearance.
Interior highlights for the Terrain Denali offer a sophisticated feel with soft-touch Jet Black leather lining the seats and door inserts. Denali-exclusive touches such as contrast stitching, along with a soft-touch instrument panel and leather-wrapped steering wheel with smoked mahogany wood accents, contribute to a luxurious interior. Additional cabin details include:
- Embossed Denali logos on front seatbacks
- Smoked mahogany wood trim accents
- Denali illuminated front sill plates
- Eight-way power driver and passenger seat
- Standard sunroof.
Dual-flow dampers are exclusive to the Terrain Denali’s suspension system and provide a smoother ride and improved handling by controlling suspension dampening across a broader range of driving conditions.
Exceptional safety features on the Terrain Denali include the standard forward collision alert and lane departure warning systems, which use the industry’s first single-camera crash-avoidance system to visually and audibly warn drivers when a collision is imminent or the vehicle crosses a lane marker. The Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert, also standard, use radar technology to watch spots the driver may not be able to see and provide visible and audible warnings to help avoid collisions.
With the touch of a button, Terrain Denali drivers can access several convenience features, such as a programmable power liftgate, which allows access to the vehicle’s 1,810 liters of cargo space behind the first row, while a memory function stops the liftgate at a chosen height to help shorter drivers or accommodate low garage heights. Other technology available on Terrain Denali includes color touch navigation and a rear-seat entertainment system.
Terrain exterior features
A bold exterior design sets Terrain apart from other midsize crossover vehicles on the road with a refined, sculpted body that is accented with a sleek, yet angular, appearance. New 18-inch chrome clad aluminum wheels (standard on SLT2 and available on SLE2 and SLT1 models) and 17-inch aluminum wheels (on SLE and SLT1 models) emphasize a powerful stance, while chrome details add another level of style.
Other exterior features include:
- Body-color mirrors and door handles on SLE and SLT1
- Fog lamps are standard on all models
- Projector-beam headlamps and foglamps are standard on all models
- Nineteen-inch chrome-clad wheels are available on SLE2 and SLT models with the 3.6L engine
- Programmable power liftgate that can be set to open to a lower height to clear garage obstructions or make it easier to reach for those of shorter stature.
Terrain’s exterior colors for 2014 include Copper Red Metallic, Silver Sky Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Carbon Black Metallic, Summit White, Ashen Gray Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic, Atlantis Blue Metallic and Iridium Metallic. Bronze Alloy Metallic will be offered later.
Terrain Denali is offered exclusively in Quicksilver Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Carbon Black Metallic, Summit White and Iridium Metallic.
Terrain interior features
Inside the Terrain’s spacious cabin, premium interior features have been designed with high standards of functionality and materials that exude a commanding and structured feel. From the warm ambient lighting to the contrast stitching details, the Terrain is home to many comfort and convenience controls that make driving this vehicle seem effortless.
The standard and segment-exclusive MultiFlex sliding rear seat can be moved fore or aft nearly 200 mm, providing increased passenger comfort or greater rear cargo capacity, while the 60/40-split rear seatback offers additional configurations for passengers and cargo. The rear cargo area offers 894 liters of storage, as well as one of the Terrain’s four auxiliary power outlets.
With best-in-class second-row leg room (1013-mm), the Terrain offers a level of comfort unique to the midsize SUV. Passengers experience an ample, roomy environment anywhere in the vehicle.
GMC IntelliLink brings segment-exclusive infotainment technology to Terrain at a time more and more consumers are buying smartphones. IntelliLink provides information and entertainment by seamlessly integrating the capability of a smartphone into the vehicle so that hand-held phones may be safely stowed while driving.
- Enhanced bluetooth system allows you to initiate phone calls and stream Internet radio and allow users to create personalized radio stations based on favorite artists or genres. IntelliLink integrates control of apps for a driver-directed listening experience.
- Gracenote® identifies the music collection on the driver’s USB device, MP3 player or smart phone and presents information such as artist name, genres and album cover art on the IntelliLink screen.
- Upgraded USB connectivity adds the ability to play music files directly from flash memory devices, and gives the customer the ability to update IntelliLink with future enhancements.
GMC’s color touch navigation radio features a touch-screen control that incorporates all of the IntelliLink features and more. It is available on SLE2, SLT models and Terrain Denali.
Other interior features include:
- Automatic climate control is standard on SLE2, SLT models and Denali
- Color touch radio with seven-inch touch-screen display, USB and auxiliary inputs is standard on all models
- Premium Pioneer sound system with subwoofer and amplifier is standard on SLE2, SLT models and Denali
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on SLT2 and Denali
- Ambient lighting around the door handles, center console and cup holders is standard on all models
- Heated driver and front passenger seats are standard on SLT models and Denali and available SLE2.
- Tilting and telescoping steering column is standard on all models
- Universal home remote is standard on SLT2 and Denali and available on SLT1
- A sunroof is standard on SLT2 and Denali.
Interior color choices for 2014 include Jet Black, Light Titanium and Brownstone. Terrain Denali is offered exclusively in Jet Black.
GMC Terrain’s standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.6L V-6 feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing. The 2.4L delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with an EPA-estimated highway fuel economy rating of 13.6L/100km (FWD models).
The 3.6L is rated at 292 horsepower and 369 Nm of torque and uses lightweight components that contribute to the Terrain’s fuel efficiency while boosting horsepower. An integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design saves about 5.9 kg compared to a non-integrated design, while a composite intake manifold saves about 2.5 kg vs. an aluminum intake. Additionally, a lightweight structural front cover and high-strength connecting rods save additional weight.
An efficient six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models and an “Eco” transmission mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel economy.
Chassis and suspension
Terrain engineers have ensured a smooth, quiet ride by building on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. The strong structure supports a four-wheel independent suspension system that – with a long, 2,857 mm wheelbase and wide front and rear tracks – contributes to car-like ride and handling traits. The long wheelbase and wide tracks reduce body roll for a more stable driving experience.
Additional features include:
- Rack-mounted ZF Steering Systems electric power steering gear on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.6L V-6-equipped models
- Available all-wheel drive
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control helps keep the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency maneuver
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock brakes with traction control.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Superior safety features are a cornerstone attribute of the GMC Terrain. Built on a solid structure that includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash, the Terrain is equipped with several safety components to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one, including:
- Six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation. The StabiliTrak Electronic Stability Control System with Traction Control and rollover mitigation is designed to improve vehicle stability on most road surfaces, especially during emergency maneuvers.
- Standard rear-vision camera that helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Forward collision alert is standard on SLT-2 and Denali
- Lane departure warning is standard on SLT-2 and Denali
- Side Blind Zone Alert is standard on Denali
- Rear Cross Traffic Alert is standard on Denali.
The camera technology used with forward collision alert was recently named a “Top Ten Tech Breakthrough of 2012” by Popular Mechanics.