GM Receives Most Initial Quality Awards Among Automakers
Eight segment award recipients with a total 15 models in top three of their segments
- Chevrolet leads all nameplates with five segment awards
- GMC and Chevrolet rank second and fifth among all industry nameplates
DETROIT – General Motors built on a strong performance in last year's J.D. Power and Associates Initial Quality Study, placing about 50 percent of its vehicles in the top three of their respective segments with a company-best eight segment awards.
GMC ranked second overall in initial quality, climbing 10 spots, and was the top-ranked non-premium brand. Chevrolet also jumped 10 spots and ranked fifth overall and second among non-premium brands. Together with Buick and Cadillac, all GM brands performed better than the industry average of 113 problems per 100 vehicles.
In addition, GM was awarded the Silver Plant Assembly Line Quality Award for its Oshawa, Ontario, plant where the Chevrolet Equinox and Impala are built.
GM swept the Large Heavy Duty Pickup segment (Chevrolet Silverado HD, GMC Sierra HD) and Large Light Duty Pickup segment (GMC Sierra LD, Chevrolet Avalanche and Chevrolet Silverado LD.)
“Nothing energizes us more than receiving the verification of quality from our customers,” said Alicia Boler-Davis, vice president Global Quality and U.S. Customer Experience. “The overall ownership experience of the people who buy our cars and trucks is founded on providing vehicles with innovative technologies, while ensuring highest levels of initial and long-term quality and services they can rely on.”
- Segment Award Recipients
- Camaro – Midsize Sporty Car
- Impala - Large Car
- Tahoe – Large CUV
- Silverado HD – Large Heavy-Duty Pickup
- Avalanche – Large Light-Duty Pickup
- Segment Top 3
- Spark – Ranked Second - City Car
- Equinox – Ranked Third – Compact CUV
- Silverado LD – Ranked Third – Large Light-Duty Pickup
- Escalade – Segment Award Recipient - Large Premium CUV
- CTS – Ranked Third – Compact Premium Car
- Encore – Segment Award Recipient – Sub-Compact CUV
- Enclave – Ranked Second – Midsize CUV
- Regal – Ranked Third – Midsize Car
- Sierra LD – Segment Award Recipient - Large Light-Duty Pickup
- Sierra HD – Ranked Second – Large Heavy-Duty Pickup
The 2013 IQS is based on responses from more than 80,000 purchasers and lessees of new 2013 model year vehicles surveyed at 90 days of ownership. The study was redesigned for 2013 and provides manufacturers with information they can use to quickly identify problems and drive improvement.
About General Motors Co.
General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) and its partners produce vehicles in 31 countries, and the company has leadership positions in the world's largest and fastest-growing automotive markets. GM, its subsidiaries and joint venture entities sell vehicles under the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun, Buick, GMC, Holden, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling brands. More information on the company and its subsidiaries, including OnStar, a global leader in vehicle safety, security and information services, can be found at http://www.gm.com.
# # #