Chevrolet Traverse: New for 2014
- Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning, standard on LTZ and on 2LT
- Dual charge-only USB ports on the rear of the center console for second-row use
- Chevrolet MyLink is now available on all models
2014 Chevrolet Traverse Offers a Spacious Ride with Updated Safety and Convenience Features
The 2014 Chevrolet Traverse is the ideal vehicle for those seeking passenger and cargo room, advanced safety features, responsive performance and a refined overall design. The Traverse crossover-utility vehicle offers all this and more in the new model year.
For 2014, the Traverse is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models (with two LT packages: 1LT and 2LT). It comes in rear-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations with seven- and eight-passenger seating capabilities. All models are powered by a 3.6L V-6 engine that uses gasoline direct injection technology, which optimizes vehicle performance and fuel economy.
New this year, Traverse offers Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning features, crash-avoidance technologies that use a camera to help determine when the driver is getting too close to a vehicle up ahead, or when the vehicle enters another lane without the use of a turn signal. This system alerts the driver with visual cues on the dashboard, as well as audible signals. They are standard on LTZ models and on LT models.
Also new, the Traverse offers standard dual charge-only USB ports on the rear of the center console to power up electronics from the second row.
Traverse’s exterior design is centered around its Chevrolet heritage, with the classic gold bowtie positioned on a three-bar grille. The athletic exterior of Traverse incorporates distinctive front and rear fascias and includes a power dome hood, streamlined headlamps and fog lamps, chrome accents and sculpted front corners.
Offered with 17- and 20-inch wheels designs to complement the sleek lines and stance of the exterior, Traverse is stylish and functional. Built on a body-frame integral structure that allows for easy entry and exit, it was also engineered to allow a smooth entrance to the second- and third-row seats with wide rear doors and GM’s exclusive Smart Slide second-row seat feature.
Other exterior features include:
- Power lift gate is standard on 2LT and LTZ models
- Chrome door handles are standard on all models; full chrome side window molding is standard on the LTZ
- Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding mirrors with driver-side auto-dimming, body-color with integrated turn signal indicators are standard on the LTZ
- Exterior colors include Silver Ice Metallic, White, Cyber Gray Metallic, Black Granite Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tintcoat, Champagne Silver Metallic, Atlantic Blue Metallic and Tungsten Metallic.
With class-leading interior space, Traverse provides a comfortable ride with flexible seating for up to eight adults, and more cargo-carrying capacity than any other vehicle in its segment.
Premium materials include soft-touch surfaces on the instrument panel and front door uppers, contrasting stitching, chrome and silver accents, and available blue ambient lighting that glows throughout the cabin. A center stack houses illuminated climate controls and showcases a 6.5-inch color touch radio with the available Chevrolet MyLink or MyLink with Navigation infotainment systems.
MyLink includes large, easy-to-use controls and intuitive menus that help customers quickly and easily chose the level of connectivity that works for them. MyLink enables customers to seamlessly integrate their smartphones for hands-free calling through the audio system and Bluetooth connectivity.
Additional interior features include:
- Eight-way power passenger seat adjuster available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
- Two new charging-only USB ports on the back of the center console for second-row use
- Heated and cooled driver and front passenger seats standard on LTZ
- Heated steering wheel is standard on LTZ; a leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LT and LTZ
- Remote keyless entry is standard on all models
- Interior colors include Ebony and Mojave, Light Titanium and Dark Titanium, and Ebony.
The Traverse passes the “parent test” with its family-friendly features. A roomy vehicle that maintains a car-like ride, Traverse offers families a standard three rows of seating on all models, flexible seating configurations, class-leading people and cargo-carrying capacity, plus entertainment features geared toward families.
Traverse’s second-row seat comes with a pair of captain’s chairs or a three-passenger bench. Each configuration implements Traverse’s child-friendly, second-row SmartSlide feature that allows unobstructed access to the third-row bench seat with one hand, which makes it easy for children to operate.
The third-row seat can comfortably accommodate three adult passengers. Traverse’s 691 liters of cargo room behind its third row is larger than that of many sport utility vehicles.
Other features for the family include:
- The most storage in the segment
- Safety belts that are simple to operate
- Up to 12 cup holders
- An available rear-seat entertainment system with DVD player with remote
- control, overhead display, 2 sets of 2-channel wireless
- infrared headphones and auxiliary audio/video input jacks
- Easy-to-clean leather seats.
- Power and efficiency
Traverse has a long 3,021 mm wheelbase, with a wide 1,709 mm front track and 1,704 mm rear track – a combination that enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics.
Efficiency in the Traverse comes from a technically advanced 3.6L V-6 with fuel-saving direct injection technology and continuously variable valve timing. It is mated with a six-speed automatic transmission with improved shift feel for more confident acceleration when the driver needs additional power when passing or entering the highway.
The engine is SAE-certified at 288 horsepower and 366 Nm of torque with dual exhaust on LTZ models and 281 horsepower and 361 Nm with single exhaust on LS and LT. Its direct injection fuel delivery helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines, using regular unleaded gasoline.
Fuel economy estimates of 9.8 L/100km (highway) for the front-wheel drive Traverse are highly competitive with other three-row crossovers, utilities and minivans.
The available intelligent all-wheel-drive system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention, as the system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Traverse also offers utility-like towing capacity of up to 2,358 kg.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Traverse is recognized for its safety features by leading third-party organizations and in government crash testing.
In 2014, it continues the tradition of offering the latest in safety developments with the addition of the Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning systems, standard on LTZ and available on 2LT models. The crash avoidance systems employ a high-resolution camera mounted on the windshield to determine if the driver is too close to vehicles ahead. There are visual signals, as well as audible alarms, to warn the driver of a possible collision. Sensors also can detect if the vehicle is changing lanes without a turn signal to give the driver time to correct.
Another Traverse safety component is the industry’s first front center side air bag. It is engineered to provide additional restraint to drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes, where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle. If a severe impact occurs, the air bag deploys in milliseconds from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and inflates between the driver and front passenger, providing added protection for both front occupants.
Additional safety and security features include:
- Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert systems are standard on LTZ. These systems use radar to watch spots the driver may not see and provide visible and audible warnings to help prevent collisions
- Head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for outboard occupants in all seating rows are standard. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation technology and full-function traction control is standard on all models.
- A rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with a view of the rearward path of the vehicle is standard on LT and LTZ, and available on LS.
- A four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation is standard on all models.
- Safety belt pretensioners reduce forward movement during a collision, and are standard on front safety belts, along with load-limiting retractors that help limit the belts’ impact on the occupants’ chest. The LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in outboard second-row seating positions
- A tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models
- A strong body structure absorbs crash energy and provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants
- Hill start assist brakes, which are standard on all models, help reduce the tendency of a vehicle to roll forward or backward on a hill after the brake pedal is released by momentarily retaining pressure on the brake discs.