2014 Chevrolet Tahoe Offers Spacious Interior, Powerful Engines and Modern Technology
The Chevrolet Tahoe is a full-size SUV that offers spaciousness and a strong towing capability with the outstanding fuel economy. With impressive cargo space of up to 3,084 liters and a towing capability of up to 3,856 kg, the Tahoe is the perfect SUV for carrying passengers and belongings.
The Tahoe is offered in LS, LT (with two LT packages: 1LT and 2LT) and LTZ models. It comes in rear-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive configurations. Each is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform featuring a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Wide front and rear tracks enhance handling and lower the center of gravity for a more confident road feel.
All models are powered by a 5.3L V-8 that uses variable valve timing which is rated at 320 horsepower and 452 Nm of torque, and Active Fuel Management to optimize performance and fuel efficiency. Additionally, the fuel-saving Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed transmission is standard on all models and contributes to a 11.2 L/100km EPA highway fuel economy rating, because of the reduced engine speed. That lower engine speed also keeps the interior quieter.
Tahoe exterior features
The Tahoe features the global face of Chevrolet, with a large Chevrolet gold bowtie, centered on a twin-port horizontal grille. The grille surround is inset with an argent texture or available chrome finish. Fog lamps and headlamps feature detailed optics. The lower fascia, incorporating the front license plate holder and integrated recovery hooks, is aggressively styled with a skid plate look that enhances Tahoe’s rugged, off-road appearance.
Other exterior features include:
- Standard assist steps on all models
- Heated power-operated outside mirrors is standard on 2LT and LTZ models. It includes auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature.
- A power-operated lift gate is available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
- Frame mounted recovery hooks are standard on all models
- A range of 17- , 18- and 20-inch wheels is offered. 17-inch wheels are standard on LS and 1LT models, 18-inch wheels standard on 2LT models and 20-inch wheels are standard on LTZ.
- The Z71 Off Road appearance package is standard on 2LT model and includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch on/off road tires, automatic-locking differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide the finishing touches to an overall rugged look.
- Exterior color choices include: Black, Summit White, Crystal Red Tintcoat, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Concord Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and White Diamond Tricoat.
Tahoe interior features
Inside the 2014 Tahoe, the features have been integrated into the cabin with a great attention to details. There is almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, as all models feature enclosing “close-outs” around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates. Tahoe has a very large center console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous storage compartments.
The Tahoe offers three rows of seating are standard on all models. The second row is available as a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split. The third row features a 50/50-split design and is removable. A power-assisted second row seat release feature is available on 2LT models and is standard on LTZ models.
Additional interior features include:
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on 2LT and LTZ models and all feature seat heating.
- Heated and cooled front seats are standard on LTZ and heated second-row seats are available on 2LT.
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on all models
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is available on 1LT and standard on 2LT and LTZ models; Tri-zone manual-control air conditioning is standard on LS and 1LT models.
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on 2LT and standard on LTZ models, and includes DVD player with remote control, overhead display, two sets of wireless infrared headphones and auxiliary audio/video jacks
- Audio system with AM/FM/CD and USB port is standard on all models
- Bose premium 9-speaker system with subwoofer in center console is available on all LT models and standard on LTZ models
- Navigation radio with touch-screen operation is available on 2LT and on LTZ
- Power-adjustable pedals are available on LS model and standard on all LT and LTZ models.
- Remote vehicle starter system is available on LS model and standard on all LT and LTZ models.
A balanced powertrain
All models are powered by a Vortec 5.3L V8 that balances power and efficiency. Variable valve timing helps the 5.3L optimize performance, efficiency and emissions, while GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. It is also E85-capable.
The variable valve timing system allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. It manages valve overlap at optimum levels, eliminating the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
Active Fuel Management (AFM) technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government's required testing procedure, and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible.
The 5.3L engine is backed by GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
Chassis and suspension
The Tahoe is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, incorporating a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, leaf-spring rear suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Its stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
Other features include:
- Wide front and rear tracks –1,732 mm front/1,702 mm rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- A two-speed transfer case is standard on all 4WD models
- A trailering package with a 3.42 axle ratio, external transmission cooler and engine oil cooler is available on all models
- The standard axle ratio on all models is 3.08
- A heavy duty locking rear differential is standard on all models
Tahoe safety and crash-avoidance features
Safety is a top priority in the design of the Chevrolet Tahoe. Engineered with a strong body structure, the vehicle absorbs crash energy and provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Standard head curtain side air bags provide rollover protection for both seating rows, while seat-mounted side-impact air bags for the driver and right-front passenger, also standard, provide thorax and pelvic protection. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist is available on LS models and standard on LT and LTZ models and can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound
- Rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle is available on all models
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) child seat attachment system, which is included in two of the second-row seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models
- Standard remote keyless entry system can be used by drivers to locate their vehicle Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants