2014 Chevrolet Suburban Offers Complete Package of Space, Power and Capability
Since it was introduced nearly 80 years ago, the Chevrolet Suburban has enjoyed the success of being the first SUV on the market. This long-running and popular vehicle continues to offer the complete package of space, power and capability highlighted by the latest in automotive advancements.
The 2014 Suburban is offered in LS, LT (with two LT packages: 1LT and 2LT) and LTZ models. It comes in rear-wheel-drive and four-wheel-drive configurations with maximum nine-passenger seating capabilities. The Suburban is powered by a 5.3L V8 SFI engine with Active Fuel Management, which optimizes vehicle performance and fuel economy. A six-speed transmission is standard, optimizing fuel economy on the highway through reduced engine speed. The lower-rpm engine speed on the highway also helps provide a quiet interior.
Suburban rides on a long wheelbase (3302mm), lending structure to Suburban’s spacious passenger and cargo areas, and ensuring a smooth, comfortable ride. The full-size SUV’s architecture combines a distinctive, flowing exterior style with a crisp, precise feel behind the wheel, and exceptional refinement and quietness in the cabin.
Behind the first-row seats, Suburban offers 3,891 liters of cargo room, along with up to 3,674 kg of towing capability.
Suburban exterior features
Suburban’s exterior design is pure Chevrolet, with a large Chevy gold bowtie centered on a twin-port horizontal grille. A streamlined finish includes a grille surround complete with an argent texture or available chrome finish. Aggressively styled fog lamps and headlamps oversee the rugged appearance of the Suburban’s lower fascia, with the front license plate holder, integrated recovery hooks and skid plate.
Other exterior features include:
- Standard assist steps on all models
- Heated power-operated outside mirrors are standard on 2LT and LTZ. Mirror features include auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature
- A power-operated liftgate is available on 2LT and standard on LTZ
- A range of 17- , 18- and 20-inch wheels is offered. 17-inch wheels are standard on LS and 1LT models, 18-inch wheels standard on 2LT models and 20-inch wheels are standard on LTZ and available for 1LT.
- The Z71 Off Road appearance package is standard on 2LT model and includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch aluminum wheels and all-terrain tires, automatic-locking differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide the finishing touches to an off-road, outdoor look.
- Exterior color choices include: Black, Summit White, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and Concord Metallic.
Suburban interior features
Inside the 2014 Suburban, the cabin features have been designed with a great attention to detail. There are almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, with models featuring “close-outs” around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates. Suburban also has the segment’s largest center console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous cup holders and storage compartments.
The Suburban offers three rows of seating, standard on all models. The second row is a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split, while the third row features a 50/50-split design and is removable. A power-assisted second row seat release feature is available on 2LT and standard on LTZ.
Additional interior features include:
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on 2LT and LTZ
- Heated and cooled front seats and heated second-row seats are standard on LTZ
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on all models
- Tri-zone automatic climate control available on all LT and standard on LTZ; tri-zone manual-control air conditioning on LS
- A rear-seat entertainment system is available on 2LT and standard on LTZ, including DVD player with remote control, two overhead displays, two sets of wireless infrared headphones, auxiliary audio/video jacks and remote game plug-in
- Audio system with AM/FM/CD and USB port is standard on LS and LT
- A eight-speaker sound system is standard on LS and LT models; and a Bose premium nine-speaker sound system is available for 2LT and standard on LTZ.
- Navigation radio with touch-screen operation is available on 2LT and LTZ.
- Power-adjustable pedals are available on LS and 1LT models, and standard on 2LT and LTZ.
- Remote vehicle starter system is standard on all LT and LTZ models.
A capable powertrain
All Suburban models are powered by a 5.3L V-8 (aluminum engine block on 4WD models) that effectively balances power and efficiency. GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions.
Paired with GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission, it is rated at 320 horsepower and 452 Nm of torque.
Active Fuel Management (AFM) technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government's required testing procedure, and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required.
Chassis and suspension
Built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, the Suburban incorporates a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension with coil springs and rack-and-pinion steering. It has a longer wheelbase that enhances a smooth ride and supports high towing capacity of up to 3,674 kg.
Suburban’s stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enables precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
Other features include:
- Wide front and rear tracks – 1,732mm front / 1702mm rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- A trailering package with a 3.42 axle ratio, external transmission cooler and engine oil cooler is available on all models; and a two-speed transfer case on 4WD models
- 3.08 axle ratio is available on all models
- A transfer case, electronic Autotrac with rotary controls is standard on all 4WD models
Suburban safety and crash-avoidance features
Safety is a top priority in the Chevrolet Suburban. Engineered with a strong body structure, the vehicle absorbs crash energy and provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
Standard head curtain side air bags provide rollover protection for all seating rows, while seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger, also standard, provide thorax and pelvic protection. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all models. It helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound is available on all models
- Rear view camera system is available on all models
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in two of the second-row seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models
- Standard remote keyless entry system provides a second function for the red panic button; drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.