DETROIT / TYCHY – Today, General Motors Co. signed an agreement to purchase the remaining 40% shares of Isuzu Motors Polska Sp. Z o.o. (ISPOL) from Isuzu Motors. The signing ceremony took place at the ISPOL plant in Tychy, Poland. From now on, the plant where currently Circle L 1.7l diesel engines are built will operate as “GM Powertrain Poland”.
GM has already owned 60% interest of the engine plant since 2002. Its purchase of the remaining 40% underlines the importance of Europe for GM, as this is one of the most competitive car markets in the world with highest customer demands in terms of fuel economy and CO2 standards.
The Tychy plant was established in 1996 and started production in 1999. Since then the plant manufactured over 2.5 million engines. Currently 522 employees work at the plant in Tychy, which sets high standards in terms of quality and safety of work.
General Motors Co. (NYSE:GM, TSX: GMM) and its partners produce vehicles in 30 countries, and the company has leadership positions in the world's largest and fastest-growing automotive markets. GM, its subsidiaries and joint venture entities sell vehicles under the Chevrolet, Cadillac, Baojun, Buick, GMC, Holden, Isuzu, Jiefang, Opel, Vauxhall and Wuling brands. More information on the company and its subsidiaries, including OnStar, a global leader in vehicle safety, security and information services, can be found at http://www.gm.com.