2015 GMC SIERRA 3500HD CHASSIS CAB OFFERS NEW, MORE COMFORTABLE CAB, GREATER CONNECTIVITY
The GMC Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab is strong foundation for work trucks of all types, with a rear frame designed for easy adaptation of bodies. For 2015 it features an all-new cab and interior, along with greater connectivity via OnStar with 4G LTE and a standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot, building on its reputation for dependability and top-rated performance with more customer-focused features.
OnStar with 4G LTE (fall 2014 availability) provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
The 2015 Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab models are based on the redesigned heavy-duty pickups of the same name. Highlights include:
- All-new exterior styling with enhanced cooling airflow, which enables the standard 6.0-litre Vortec V-8 and available 6.6-litre Duramax turbo diesel to better maintain full power, even under heavy loads and high ambient temperatures
- All-new interior that provides increased space and comfort, with extensive storage space tailored to the way customers use trucks
- Integrated cruise control, auto grade braking and diesel exhaust braking (on diesel models) that help make tough towing easier.
Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab is available in regular cab and crew cab body styles, with Work Truck and SLE trims. All models are offered in 2WD or 4WD – and feature dual rear wheels. The Duramax diesel engine, with 397 horsepower (296 kW) and 765 lb-ft of torque (1,037 Nm), is available.
Regular cab models are available in 3,492 mm (137.5-inch) and 4,115 mm (162-inch) wheelbase lengths, while the crew cab rides on a 4,356 mm (171.5-inch) wheelbase. The cab-to-axle (CA) length is 1,508 mm (59 inches) for the regular cab/3,492 mm (137.5-inch) wheelbase and crew cab models. The CA is 2,123 mm (83.5 inches) for the regular cab/4,115 mm (162-inch) wheelbase configuration.
Additional lineup features include:
- Fully-boxed front frame with reinforced C-channel rear frame
- Standard 240 litres (63.5-gallon) fuel capacity (89-litre / 23.5-gallon front tank and 151-litre / 40-gallon rear tank)
- Smart exhaust brake (with Duramax engine) feature that provides greater control on grades and reduced brake pad wear
- Standard frontal air bags
- Standard StabiliTrak stability control system
- Seventeen-inch wheels
- Four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock
- Available power take-off
- Available skid plate package
- Available snow plow prep package
- Available upfitter switches.
Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab is built to haul, with capabilities for each model reaching a maximum GVWR rating of 5,988 kg (13,200 pounds), with payload ratings ranging from 2,586 kg (5,702 pounds) (crew cab 4WD) to 3,397 kg (7,490 pounds) (regular cab 2WD with the 3,492 mm / 137.5-inch wheelbase). A 6.0L gas V-8/six-speed automatic powertrain is standard in all models. A Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel is available, paired with the Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission.
The new truck cab is stronger, as well, with nearly two-thirds of the cab structure made from high-strength steel for a confident feel and improved safety. The rear doors on crew-cab models are larger, enabling easier entry and exit for rear-seat passengers, and revised seats create approximately two inches more rear legroom.
Structural reinforcements and other components also help stiffen the body, contributing to confident, quiet performance on the highway, with noticeably reduced vibrations on rough surfaces. They include an enhanced instrument panel support beam, which spans the width of the cab’s interior under the dashboard, features a new beam-to-floor brace that is four times stronger than before. It’s used with stronger instrument panel mounting brackets and a thicker tubular steering column jacket to enhance the steering column’s stiffness, reducing vibration that could otherwise be felt in the steering wheel.
New inlaid doors, which fit into body sides rather than wrapping over the roof, combine with new triple door seals to reduce wind noise and turbulence, helping quiet the cab. The front of the truck is also carefully sealed to provide efficient cooling with minimal aerodynamic drag, including a new grille opening reinforcement mounted over the radiator support and the frame. It is a primary contributor of the sealing process, enabling tailored alignment of the hood, fenders, bumper, grille and headlamps, for a tight fit between parts that enhances airflow through and around the truck.
Additional exterior features include:
- Folding camper-style mirrors are standard; heated/power-adjustable features available
- Seventeen-inch, eight-lug steel wheels are standard; forged polished aluminum wheels are available on SLE crew cab
- Dual halogen headlamps
- Smoked amber roof lamps.
Regular-production exterior colours: Stealth Gray Metallic, Quicksilver Metallic, Summit White, Onyx Black, Sonoma Red Metallic, Fire Red, Cobalt Blue Metallic, Bronze Alloy Metallic and Iridium Metallic. Special paint exterior colours: Yellow, Wheatland Yellow, Tangier Orange, Blue Metallic, Dark Toreador Red, Indigo Blue, Light Autumnwood Metallic and Pewter.
Inside, the 2015 Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab receives the same updates as the 2015 Sierra HD pickups, including an upright instrument panel that puts important controls within easy reach, a six-gauge instrument cluster with driver information centre, and multiple storage options tailored specifically to the needs of truck customers.
Controls are functional, logically placed and easy to operate with work gloves on. For example, the available Integrated Trailer Brake Controller is mounted high on the left side of the instrument panel, where it can be easily adjusted, and it displays Gain on the Driver Information Centre in the instrument cluster.
Storage spaces and compartments include an upper and a lower glove box, as well as a “mini” glove box beneath the centre stack of the instrument panel on models with a bench seat; and the rear-console storage area on crew cab models is designed to hold a bag and be used as a refuse bin, which helps keep the truck cleaner on long drives.
The front door panels have integrated map pockets, as well as space for drink bottles. The front of the panels can each hold a pair of 1.5-litre bottles, while the rear of the panel has room for a typical 500 ml bottle.
The standard front seat is a 40/20/40-split bench with a fold-down centre armrest that features covered storage, three cup holders, two USB ports and two 12-volt power points.
Additional interior features include:
- Reclining 40/20/20-split bench seat is standard
- Rear 60/40-split fold-up bench seat (crew cab)
- Leather seating surfaces are available
- Air conditioning is standard
- Electric assist heater incorporated in Duramax-equipped models to help warm up the cab more quickly
- Cruise control and tilt steering are standard
- Power-adjustable pedals are available
- Power-operated rear sliding window is available on crew cab models
- Interior colour/trim combinations: Jet Black, Jet Black/Dark Ash and Cocoa/Dune.
Onstar with 4G LTE
Technology is essential for those who work out of their truck, and the new OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three gigabyte data trial.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
Powertrains that perform
Under the hood of the Sierra 3500HD, a Vortec 6.0L gas V-8 with variable valve timing is paired with the Hydra-Matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission as the standard powertrain offering. This combination delivers excellent performance and efficiency, with an emphasis on low-rpm performance. It is rated at 322 horsepower (268 kW) and 380 lb-ft of torque (515 Nm).
The Duramax 6.6L turbo-diesel and Allison 1000 six-speed automatic transmission powertrain combination is available on all 3500HD models. Highlights of the Duramax diesel include:
- 397 horsepower (296 kW) at 3,000 rpm
- 765 lb-ft of torque (1,037 Nm) at 1,600 rpm
- High-pressure (30,000 psi/2,000 bar) Piezo-actuated fuel system for greater fuel efficiency, improved performance and reduced emissions
- Exhaust brake system that enables controlled vehicle slowdown on downhill grades with minimal brake actuation
- Selective catalytic reduction after-treatment system using diesel exhaust fluid (DEF) injection to provide the best overall diesel characteristics and performance – with a range of about 8,000 km (5,000 miles) between DEF refills
- Combustion and after-treatment have been optimized to provide about1,125 km (700 miles ) between diesel particulate filter regenerations – a 75-percent improvement over the previous system and significant contributor to improved fuel efficiency, as the regeneration process requires additional fuel
- B20 biodiesel capability for an alternative fueling option.
Benefits of the Allison 1000 include a driver shift control with tap up/tap down shifting and a patented elevated idle mode cab warm-up feature. Also, the Tow/Haul mode reduces shift cycling for better control and improved cooling when towing or hauling heavy loads.
On Duramax diesel models, the driver can also engage the diesel exhaust brake, which uses the variable vanes in the turbocharger to smoothly and quietly create additional backpressure in the engine to help slow the vehicle. The combination of the exhaust brake and the automatic transmission downshifts helps the driver maintain the desired speed, even on long, steep highway downgrades.
Drivers in cold-weather climates warm up more quickly with the Duramax 6.6L engine, which has a starting time on par with gas engines. Its glow plug cycle time takes no more than three seconds in temperatures as low as-29 C (-20 F ).
Chassis, suspension and drivetrain
Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab models are based on the robust, heavy-duty design of the Sierra 3500HD pickups, including a fully boxed, hydroformed front frame. The rear frame section features a reinforced C-section design developed for easy adaptation of custom bodies.
The front suspension is a short-long arm/torsion bar design with forged steel upper control arms and precision-machined cast iron lower control arms. Four different torsion bar rates support four front gross axle weight ratings to help stabilize the range of trim heights of various models under load, while enhancing appearance, handling, durability, tire wear and alignment. The trim height is adjusted on each bar via a single bolt, easily allowing the height to be changed to account for the weight of a snow plow or other accessories.
At the rear is a proven semi-elliptical 7+1 leaf spring suspension for the standard dual-rear-wheel axle. All models area available in 2WD and 4WD. Four-wheel disc brakes with anti-lock are standard.
Additional features include:
- Integrated trailer brake controller
- External auxiliary transmission cooler
- External engine oil cooler
- Available 220-amp alternator (150-amp standard)
- Available dual 220- and 150-amp alternators with Duramax Diesel
- Dual heavy-duty batteries (720 CCA) are available
- Available power take-off with Duramax Diesel
- 3.73 or 4.10 rear axle ratios
- Wide-track rear axle is available
- Automatic locking rear axle is available.
2015 Sierra 3500HD Chassis Cab models are assembled in Flint, Mich. – and like all Sierra models, they are backed by GMC Pro Grade Protection:
- Three-year/60,000 km limited new vehicle warranty
- Five-year/160,000 km limited powertrain warranty
- Two-year/40,000 km schedule maintenance coverage, excluding diesel exhaust fluid.
About GMC in Canada
has manufactured trucks since 1902, and is one of the industry's healthiest brands. Innovation and engineering excellence is built into all GMC vehicles and the brand is evolving to offer more fuel-efficient trucks and crossovers, including the Terrain small SUV and Acadia crossover. The 2014 Sierra half-ton pickup boasts all-new powertrains and design, and the Sierra Heavy Duty pickups are the most capable and powerful trucks ever built by GMC. Every retail GMC model, including Yukon and Yukon XL full-size SUVs, is now available in Denali luxury trim. Details on all GMC models are available at http://www.gmc.gm.ca, on Twitter at @GMCCanada or at http://www.facebook.com/gmccanada.
# # #