With a maximum payload of 645 kilograms (1,422 lbs) and an available Vortec 5.3L V-8 that enables a towing capacity of 2,721 kilograms (6,000 lbs), the midsize GMC Canyon delivers big-truck capability in a more fuel-efficient midsize package.
A powerful Vortec 5.3L V-8 is available on extended cab and crew cab models, delivering 300 horsepower (224 kW) and 320 lb.-ft. of torque (434 Nm). Canyon’s stiff frame enables more precise suspension tuning to deliver a smooth, isolated ride without sacrificing responsive handling.
The 2012 Canyon lineup includes regular cab, extended cab and crew cab body styles in 2WD and 4WD; two pickup bed lengths; three available suspensions and three engines.
Trims include SLE and SLT. The Z71 Off Road package offers distinctive visual cues to augment its suspension differentiation; it is available on 2WD and 4WD models. The ZQ8 sport suspension, paired with the 5.3L V-8 and 18-inch wheels, is available.
- Regular and extended cab models have a 6-foot 1-inch (1.85 m) pickup bed with taller sides than many competitors.
- Crew cab bed lengths are 5-foot 1-inch (1.55 m).
- Both beds offer two-tier cargo loading, and tailgates that are both lockable and easily removable.
- The tailgate opens to almost 90 degrees, but can be set at a 55-degree opening to create a sturdy, flat platform to conveniently transport longer items or 4-foot by 8-foot (1.2 m by 2.4 m) panels.
- Available Chrome Accessory Package includes fuel door and exhaust tip.
- Bodyguard Package includes bed rail protectors and molded splash guards.
- Family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels and tires, including available aluminum and chrome-clad.
Canyon interior – standard and available features
- Canyon seats up to six depending on the configuration.
- Canyon’s instrument panel has large, easy-to-read gauges, with switches and controls designed for easy operation with gloves.
- Crew cab models offer a 60/40-split/folding rear seat capable of accommodating three adults.
- Extended cab versions have four doors, and its two folding rear seats face forward.
- Standard equipment includes air conditioning, AM/FM stereo and SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three free months of service, OnStar, driver information centre, front and rear floor mats, adjustable steering wheel, auxiliary power outlet, vehicle anti-theft system, intermittent wipers, air conditioning, cruise control and Bluetooth connectivity for certain phones.
- Standard and available equipment on SLE and SLT includes audio system with CD player with MP3 playback, remote keyless entry, self-dimming inside rearview mirror power, tinted glass, power-adjustable heated leather-appointed seating (standard on SLT), rear sliding window (standard on SLE2) and power-operated outside rearview mirrors.
Chassis and suspension
- Hydraulically assisted rack-and-pinion steering.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps keep the vehicle on its intended path in the event of an emergency manoeuvre.
- Large front disc brakes with twin-piston callipers.
- Independent suspension with coil-over front shocks on 2WD models (except Z71 and V-8); front torsion bars on all 4WD models, as well as 2WD Z71 models and 2WD with the V-8 and Z85 suspension.
- Specifically tuned powertrain and body mounts that help reduce interior noise and vibration.
- Three suspension choices: the Z85 suspension standard on 2WD or 4WD models, the Z71 off-road suspension, also available in 2WD and 4WD – with 17-inch wheels – and the ZQ8 sport suspension.
Efficient, proven powertrains
- The base engine in all but Z71-equipped crew cabs is a Vortec 2.9L DOHC four-cylinder with continuously variable valve timing (VVT) that delivers 185 horsepower (138 kW), 190 lb.-ft. of torque (258 Nm) and has a fuel consumption rating as low as 7.8L/100km highway.
- Available in all models except Work Truck – and standard in the crew cab with 4WD – is a Vortec 3.7L DOHC five-cylinder with VVT that is rated at 242 horsepower (180 kW) and 242 lb.-ft. of torque (328 Nm).
- The available 5.3L V-8 engine delivers 300 horsepower (224 kW) and 320 lb.-ft. of torque (434 Nm).
- An Aisin five-speed manual transmission is standard with the four-cylinder engine – except for crew cab models, where it is not available.
- A Hydra-Matic 4L60 electronically controlled four-speed automatic is standard with the available five-cylinder engine and V-8; and available with the four-cylinder (standard on crew cab models).
Safety and crash-avoidance features
The Canyon is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, and protect vehicle occupants during and after a crash.
- Standard driver and passenger frontal and head curtain side-impact air bags with a passenger on-off switch.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Four-wheel anti-lock brake system provides directional stability in the event of an emergency braking manoeuvre. Standard traction control helps limit wheel sleep when accelerating on slippery surfaces such as water, ice or a gravel road
- Vehicle anti-theft system helps thwart would-be car thieves by sounding an alarm if the vehicle is tampered with.
- Daytime Running Lamps enhance make the vehicle more visible to other motorists and pedestrians.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
Canyon is the only midsize truck to provide OnStar, which uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada
- Services include remote door unlock, stolen vehicle tracking, remote ignition block, roadside assistance, crisis assist, vehicle diagnostics and hands-free calling
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Colorado models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop.
# # #