2013 GMC Acadia Offers New Styling, Safety and Infotainment
GMC Acadia – the brand’s first crossover – helped define a segment that has surged in popularity since its 2007 launch. The Denali model, added in mid-2010, broadened Acadia’s appeal to luxury customers with its combination of functionality and style.
For 2013, Acadia and Acadia Denali introduce new exterior styling, greater interior versatility and more safety features, including the industry’s first front centre air bag, as well as a new infotainment system with touch-screen controls.
The Acadia lineup includes SLE (SLE1 and SLE2 trims), SLT (SLT1 and SLT2 trims) and Denali models, with seven- or eight-passenger configurations. All models are powered by a 3.6L V-6 VVT engine that uses gasoline direct injection technology to optimize performance and fuel efficiency.
The engine is paired with Acadia’s fuel-saving six-speed automatic transmission to help give FWD models a highway fuel consumption rating of 8.4L/100km. The transmission controls have been revised for 2013 to provide quicker and more consistent shifts, for a higher-quality feel behind the wheel. All-wheel drive is available.
The Acadia also is capable of towing up to 2,364 kilograms (5,200 lbs) when properly equipped.
Acadia for 2013 retains the interior functionality popular with families, including the SmartSlide seating system, which allows easy access to the third row for both seven- and eight-passenger seating configurations. Likewise, both the second and third row still fold flat for class-leading maximum cargo space, including the ability to carry 48-inch-wide sheet goods, such as drywall and plywood.
Acadia Denali details
The Acadia Denali features all-wheel-drive, and is available with seven- or eight-passenger seating configurations. It stands out with its signature Denali design cues, highlighted by a monochromatic exterior and satin-chrome accents. It also wears a number of specific exterior design cues, including:
- New, three-dimensional polished grille
- Redesigned lower front and rear fascias
- Body-colour lower cladding and rocker mouldings and rear fascia
- Unique body-side mouldings with satin-chrome accents and Denali badges
- Dual flow-through chrome exhaust outlets integrated into the rear fascia
- Twenty-inch machined aluminum wheels and optional chrome wheels
- High-Intensity Discharge headlamps.
Inside, Denali adds standard comfort and safety features, including:
- Perforated leather seating and Denali-specific Cocoa Dune upholstery colour
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with mahogany inserts and power tilt/telescope
- Unique aluminum trim accents
- Heated and cooled front seats
- Accent lighting in footwells and lighted sill plates with the Denali logo
- Colour Touch navigation system
- Side Blind Zone and Rear Cross Traffic Alert
- Dual SkyScape sunroof system, with sliding front sunroof and fixed rear section.
Acadia Denali also features an exclusive interior acoustic package that makes it the quietest model in the Acadia lineup.
Also standard on all Denali models – and all Acadia models – is hill-hold assist braking technology, which applies the brakes for 1.5 seconds when the driver’s foot leaves the brake pedal on inclines of 5 percent or steeper. To avoid unintended acceleration, an enhanced electronic pedal override reduces power to the engine when the brake and accelerator pedals are depressed at the same time.
Exterior highlights and features
The 2013 Acadia has a new chiselled, three-bar grille that sits prominently in a more upright design, while diffused LED running lamps lend a premium look. They are standard on all models, including the standard projector-beam headlamps and foglamps. A new LED taillamp design reflects the advancements up front. Additional exterior updates include wrap-around rear glass and a new rear spoiler.
Acadia also introduces new 18-, 19- and 20-inch wheel designs that complement the redesigned exterior’s lines and stance.
A body-frame integral structure enables lower entry/exit height for Acadia passengers. The front door step-in height is only 18.9 inches (480 mm), and the rear door step-in height is 19.8 inches (503 mm). Entry to the second- and third-row seats is easy with very wide rear doors and GM’s exclusive Smart Slide second-row seat feature.
The Acadia’s design is sleek and highlighted by chrome accents and large wheels, including 20-inch wheels on Denali models. Halogen projector-beam headlamps are standard on SLE and SLT models, while Acadia Denali comes with standard high-intensity discharge headlamps (available on SLT2). Additional standard and available exterior features include:
- Power liftgate is standard on SLE2, SLT and Denali models
- Chrome door handles are standard on all models
- Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding mirrors with driver-side auto-dimming, body-colour with integrated turn signal indicators are standard on SLT2 and Denali
- Exterior colours: Quicksilver Metallic, Summit White, Cyber Grey Metallic, Carbon Black Metallic, Crystal Red Metallic, White Diamond Tricoat, Champagne Silver Metallic, Atlantis Blue Metallic and Iridium Metallic.
Interior highlights and features
The 2013 Acadia’s refined interior uses upgraded soft-touch materials, with French stitching that adds a tailored look and red ambient light flowing across the dashboard. SLT and Denali models get aluminum accents on the centre console, doors and dash.
The interior has a car-like “low and away” instrument panel that enhances the feeling of openness in the front-row seats and provides a commanding outward view. The instrument panel and other interior elements feature high-quality, low-gloss materials and tight gap tolerances.
All Acadia models offer three rows of seating that can be configured for seven or eight passengers, regardless of the trim level. The seating configurations include two front bucket seats, a 60/40-split second-row bench (three passengers) or two second-row captain’s chairs (two passengers) and a 60/40-split third-row bench seat.
GM’s exclusive Smart Slide feature is standard, allowing quick and easy access to the third-row seating area. The second-row seat cushion flips up while the seatback slides forward, effectively compressing the space occupied by the seat with the pull of a lever. The Smart Slide system also allows the second row to be positioned fore/aft. When adjusted rearward, the second-row seat provides more legroom for taller passengers. When adjusted forward, it provides more storage space or additional legroom for third-row passengers.
Storage space of 682 litres (24.1 cu. ft.) is available behind the third-row seat (with the cargo management system removed). Maximum available storage capability behind the first row of seats is 3,286 litres (116.1 cu. ft.).
Additional interior features include:
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on Denali and SLT trims and available on SLE (with rear entertainment system)
- Rear-seat entertainment system with USB port is available on Denali, SLT and SLE2 models and includes rear-seat DVD player with remote control, overhead display, Bose 5.1 surround sound system with 10 speakers and two sets of wireless headphones
- Three-prong household-type power outlet is available on SLE, SLT and Denali models equipped with the rear entertainment system
- Head-up display is standard on Denali and available on SLT
- Remote keyless entry is standard on all models
- Remote vehicle start is standard on Denali, SLT and SLE2 models
- Centre console with sliding armrest and storage is standard on all models
- Eight-way power-adjustable front passenger seat is standard on Denali and SLT
- Cloth seating trim is standard on SLE models
- Leather-appointed seating with heated front seats is standard on SLT models
- Perforated leather-trimmed first- and second-row seats with heated and cooled front seats are standard on Denali and available on SLT2 models
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel with audio controls is standard on SLE and SLT, and the Denali adds wood accents
- Dual SkyScape two-panel sunroof is standard on Denali and available on SLE and SLT models.
The interior colour/trim combinations include Ebony and three new colour combinations for 2013: Dark Cashmere, Cocoa Dune and Light Titanium.
Colour Touch infotainment
GMC’s Colour Touch Radio with touch-screen control is standard in the Acadia, with available Colour Touch navigation. Available IntelliLink allows customers to seamlessly integrate online services such as Stitcher SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones.
IntelliLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability, while retaining all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including AM/FM/XM tuners, CD player with MP3 playback, auxiliary and USB inputs.
Additional audio system features include a photo viewer and a standard rear-vision camera with dynamic guide lines that will display on the high-definition screen.
A USB port is standard on all models, enabling passengers to plug in their own media to play through the radio.
The Acadia’s 3.6L engine’s direct injection technology helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines and uses regular unleaded gasoline. It is rated at 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lb.-ft. of torque (366 Nm). Ninety percent of the engine’s peak torque is available from approximately 2,500 rpm to more than 6,000 rpm.
The 3.6L engine is mated to the Hydra-Matic 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, an advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel-drive vehicles. It also offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise shift control, as well as hill hold assist.
The available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention: The system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Ride and handling
Acadia rides on a long 118.9-inch (3,021 mm) wheelbase, with wide 67.3-inch (1,709 mm) front and 67.1-inch (1,703 mm) rear tracks – a combination that lowers the centre of gravity and enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics. Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Independent front and rear suspensions
- New low-flow shocks and struts for improved ride and handling
- The front suspension features a MacPherson strut design, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar and aluminum knuckles. Isolated mounting points help reduce noise and vibration
- The rear suspension uses a compact, linked “H” design, which uses an isolated mounting system to reduce noise and vibration transmitted to the passenger compartment
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard; variable-effort steering is available
- Four-wheel disc brakes with antilock are standard on all models, with additional brake features including dynamic rear proportioning, hydraulic brake boost and panic brake assist.
The redesigned Acadia leads the segment with a new front centre air bag system, which was created to protect drivers and front passengers in far-side impact crashes where the affected occupant is on the opposite, non-struck side of the vehicle. It deploys from the inboard side of the driver’s seat and positions itself between the driver and front passenger.
The new front centre air bag is part of a 360-degree safety system that helps protect passengers before, during and after a crash, including anchor pretensioners for outboard occupants and pelvic-thorax seat-mounted side air bags. The structure is reinforced in numerous areas with high-strength steel, including a stiff steel cross-car beam welded across the floor between the B-pillars. It also uses dual-phase steel in select areas, such as the lower engine compartment rails. Dual-phase steel is strengthened in the paint oven and offers easier formability, reduced mass, greater strength and better crash energy absorption than most high-strength steels.
Standard on the Acadia Denali and available on other models are Side Blind Zone Alert and Rear Cross Traffic Alert systems. These systems use radar to watch spots the driver may not be able to see – and provide visible and audible warnings to help prevent collisions.
Additional safety features include:
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows
- The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation technology is standard on all models and incorporates full-function traction control
- Rearview camera system is standard on all models. It is designed to provide the driver with a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in all second-row seating positions
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Standard remote keyless entry system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their vehicle without sounding the panic alarm
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Acadia. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle.
Acadia also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.
# # #