Geneva/Rüsselsheim. Opel launches the next level of vehicle connectivity at the Geneva Motor Show. At today’s press conference, Opel CEO Dr. Karl-Thomas Neumann announced the introduction of OnStar. “OnStar and Opel will make driving in Europe safer and more relaxed from 2015,” said Neumann. “With OnStar 4G/LTE, Opel drivers will enjoy high-speed mobile connectivity, and with this we take a major step towards realizing our vision of connectivity – the Opel Monza Concept that we presented last fall.” OnStar is the leading brand of connected safety and security solutions, value-added mobility services and advanced information technology.
Opel also presents three hot new models at its booth in Hall 2. Karl-Thomas Neumann unveiled the cool and charismatic ADAM Rocks, the racy ADAM S and the super sporty Astra OPC EXTREME. ADAM ROCKS also showcases another debut in Geneva: the 1.0 ECOTEC Direct Injection Turbo engine. ADAM is the first car to feature the small powerhouse, which will gradually become available in other models. Opel’s major powertrain offensive is also making strides on the diesel front: visitors in Geneva can for the first time take a close look at the Astra with the 81 kW/110 hp version of the new generation 1.6 CDTI Turbo diesel.
Opel and OnStar: The next level of vehicle connectivity
More than 6.5 million customers in the U.S., Canada, China, and Mexico already use OnStar connected services. Opel is planning to introduce OnStar across its passenger car range in selected European markets beginning in 2015. Karl-Thomas Neumann explained which services will make driving easier and more carefree:
1. 4G LTE connection: With OnStar 4G LTE, the car becomes a powerful, mobile Wi-Fi hotspot, giving easier access to apps and services that require a high-speed cellular or data connection, for up to seven mobile devices.
2. Emergency services: No matter what kind of trouble a driver encounters out on the road, OnStar is there to help. If the airbag deploys, OnStar can be alerted automatically. Even if it's a medical emergency, or you witness a crash, just press your emergency button and OnStar can request help.
3. Remote link: Drivers can remotely connect to their vehicle with the OnStar RemoteLink mobile app. They can view oil life and tire pressure info on their smartphone, and lock or unlock their vehicle via smartphone. Destination addresses can be sent immediately to the on-board navigation system.
4. Stolen vehicle assistance: If a vehicle is ever stolen, OnStar can work with the police to recover it quickly and safely.
5. Roadside assistance: If drivers find themselves stranded, they are never alone. Whether it is an empty gas tank or a flat tire, a push of the emergency button is all it takes for OnStar to request that help be sent.
6. Vehicle diagnostics: OnStar sends a monthly Vehicle Diagnostics email with the most important vehicle data and information. A diagnostic check can be requested at any time at the push of a button.
7. Remote services: Drivers never have to worry about locking their keys in the car again. They just have to call OnStar, where an advisor will verify their account and send a signal to their vehicle to unlock the doors. Destination addresses can be sent immediately to the on-board navigation system by pressing the OnStar button, or via the RemoteLink app.
Hot premieres: ADAM ROCKS, ADAM S and Astra OPC EXTREME
“This car rocks,” said Karl-Thomas Neumann, announcing the newest series production ADAM. The ADAM ROCKS combines the joy of driving under an open sky with all the fun of an adventure-loving mini-crossover. The 3.74-meter short car stands for pure zest for life – inside and outside the city. Featuring an electrically operated, retracting, Swing Top canvas roof as standard, signature body cladding all-round and a 15 mm raised ride height, ADAM ROCKS opens a new market niche; it is the first three-door urban pocket-crossover under 4.00 meters in length. It can be powered by Opel’s all-new 1.0-liter ECOTEC Direct Injection Turbo engine. This high-tech pocket powerhouse is available with 66 kW/90 hp and 85 kW/115 hp and already complies with tough Euro 6 emission standards. It raises the bar for three-cylinder engine refinement with outstandingly low noise and vibrations and superb comfort. The ADAM ROCKS will hit the market as soon as this summer.
“But the ROCKS is not the end of ADAM diversity by a long shot,” continued the Opel CEO. The close-to-production ADAM S version showcases the hot new performance model that will top Opel’s super-cool small car family. Featuring a 110 kW/150 hp, 1.4-liter Turbo ECOTEC engine, sports-tuned suspension and OPC braking system, ADAM S impeccably blends punch and power with zestful, sharp-edged responses. The turbo engine propels the racy lifestyle ADAM S to a top speed of 220 km/h. “And the ADAM S styling perfectly expresses its ultimate sporty character.”
The third hot premiere is the Astra OPC EXTREME. Developed directly from the OPC Cup version, the EXTREME brings pure racing technology to the road with its over 300 hp 2.0‑liter turbo engine – and thanks to its high-quality, carbon fiber components, it is 100 kilograms lighter than a conventional Astra OPC. “The OPC EXTREME is the fastest Astra ever and stands for the pure joy of driving,” said Karl-Thomas Neumann, describing the spectacular study. If public reaction is as positive as expected, Opel plans a low-volume production run for the super sporty, street-legal EXTREME.
But Opel is much more than extremely sporty, it is also very economical, as shown by the new 1.6 CDTI whisper diesel. The all-new turbo engine with 100 kW/136 hp and 81 kW/110 hp now also ensures powerful and clean drive with exemplary refinement in the heart of the Opel model portfolio in the Astra family. The 110 hp version debuting in Geneva reduces fuel consumption to just 3.7 liters per 100 km and with CO2 emissions of 97 g/km, undercuts the 100 gram mark (according to NEDC test procedure). And the Astra is now also available with the multi-award winning IntelliLink technology. The state-of-the-art infotainment system already brings a wide range of smartphone content into the car and underlines Opel’s pioneering role as the brand for mobile connectivity.