As Chevrolet Traverse enters its fourth year in the market, it continues to be one of the most popular large crossovers, thanks to its balance of efficiency, spaciousness and safety.
Efficiency in the Traverse comes from a technically advanced 3.6L V-6 with direct injection technology and continuously variable valve timing, which is matched with a six-speed automatic transmission to help it deliver an estimated fuel consumption rating of 8.4L/100km on the highway (FWD models) – the best fuel efficiency of any eight-passenger utility vehicle.
Spaciousness comes from seating for up to eight. And with up to 116.4 cubic feet (3,297 litres) of maximum cargo space (second-row seat folded and third-row seat/cargo management system remove), the Traverse offers the most storage capacity of any vehicle in its segment – besting the cargo capacity of Toyota Highlander, Honda Pilot and Ford Explorer.
The Traverse is also recognized as a safe vehicle, earning a NHTSA 5 Star Overall Safety rating and named an Insurance Institute for Highway Safety Top Safety Pick (2011 model). Contributing elements include six standard air bags – including head curtain side-impact air bags for all three seating rows – standard anti-lock brakes with integrated traction control and hill start assist, StabiliTrak electronic stability control and OnStar with automatic crash response. A rearview camera system is available.
For 2012, Traverse is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models (with two LT trim levels: 1LT and 2LT), in both front-wheel-drive and all-wheel-drive configurations. Product highlights include:
- Four-wheel independent suspension system
- Family of 17-, 18- and 20-inch wheels
- Second-row Smart Slide seat feature, for easy access to the third-row seats
- Rear-seat entertainment system with second-row controls
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio
- Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity
- Towing capacity of 2,358 kilograms (5,200 pounds).
Changes for 2012 also include two new exterior colours – Dark Silver Metallic and Crystal Red Tintcoat (late availability) – and revisions to the availability of uplevel exterior mirrors.
Traverse design and exterior features
Traverse has a unique profile with a smooth and flowing design that characterizes the global face of Chevrolet. Elements such as chrome-ringed grille inserts and large wheel-and-tire combinations highlight the vehicle’s attention to detail. Details include:
- Deep-set grille inserts with chrome-ringed trim
- Turn signals integrated in the outside mirrors
- Rear spoiler integrated over the liftgate window
- Dual, bright exhaust outlets
- Available panoramic, power-operated sunroof.
Standard and available features include:
- Power liftgate is standard on 2LT and LTZ models.
- Chrome door handles are standard on all models.
- Outside heated power-adjustable, power-folding body-colour mirrors with driver's side auto-dimming now standard on LTZ.
- Outside heated power-adjustable, manual-folding mirrors with driver-side auto-dimming, body-colour with integrated turn signal indicators now on 2LT and included on 1LT when rear view camera system is ordered.
- Seventeen-inch steel wheels with covers are standard on LS models.
- Eighteen-inch machined aluminum wheels are standard on LT models.
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels are standard on LTZ models.
- Exterior colour choices include: Silver Ice Metallic, Dark Blue Metallic, White, Gold Mist Metallic, Black Granite Metallic, Dark Silver Metallic (late availability), Crystal Red Metallic (late availability), White Diamond Tricoat and Steel Green Metallic.
Traverse interior standard and available features
Traverse’s interior blends refined styling, technology and attention to detail. The instrument panel has a dual-cockpit design that is a hallmark of Chevrolet’s heritage, while its “low and away” position enhances outward visibility.
Three rows of seating are standard on all models, with the second row offered as a bench that seats up to three or a pair of bucket seats. Premium cloth seating surfaces are standard on LS and LT models, with leather-trimmed seating available on 2LT. Perforated heated and cooled leather seating is standard on LTZ. Traverse’s second-row Smart Slide seat feature enables easy access to the third-row seats.
Standard and available interior features include:
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is standard on 2LT and LTZ and available on 1LT (with rear entertainment system).
- AM/FM/CD stereo with MP3 playback capability is standard on LS and 1LT models.
- AM/FM/CD stereo with MP3 playback capability and Bose 10-speaker sound is standard on 2LT and LTZ models.
- Navigation radio system with XM NavTraffic, rearview camera system, USB port and Bose 10-speaker sound is available on 2LT and LTZ models.
- Rear entertainment system with USB port is available on LT and LTZ models and includes rear-seat DVD player with remote control, overhead display and two sets of wireless headphones.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on all models with three-month trial.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on LT and LTZ models and optional on LS.
- Remote keyless entry is standard on all models.
- Remote vehicle start is standard on 2LT and LTZ and available on 1LT models.
- Centre console with sliding armrest and storage is standard on all models.
- A second-row console is available on LTZ models.
The Traverse’s 3.6L engine’s direct injection technology helps produce power similar to many V-8 engines and uses regular unleaded gasoline. It is rated at 288 horsepower (215 kW) and 270 lb.-ft. of torque (366 Nm) with dual exhaust (281 hp/210 kW and 266 lb.-ft./361 Nm with single exhaust). Ninety per cent of the engine’s peak torque is available from approximately 2,500 rpm to more than 6,000 rpm.
The 3.6L engine is mated to the Hydra-Matic 6T75 six-speed automatic transmission, an advanced transmission with clutch-to-clutch shift operation for front- and all-wheel-drive vehicles. It also offers automatic grade braking, shift stabilization and precise shift control.
The available intelligent all-wheel-drive (AWD) system provides increased traction on slippery roads by actively managing the torque distribution between the front and rear axles, based on factors such as wheel speed, throttle and surface conditions. There is no driver intervention; the system automatically decides how much torque to apply and delivers it to the wheels that have the best traction.
Traverse chassis and suspension
Traverse rides on a long 3,020 mm (118.9-inch) wheelbase, with a wide 1,721 mm (67.8-inch) front track and 1,712 mm (67.4-inch) rear track – a combination that lowers the centre of gravity and enables smooth, stable ride and handling characteristics. Additional chassis and suspension features include:
- Independent front and rear suspensions.
- The front suspension features a MacPherson strut design, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar and aluminum knuckles. Isolated mounting points help reduce noise and vibration.
- The rear suspension uses a compact, linked “H” design, which uses an isolated mounting system to reduce noise and vibration transmitted to the passenger compartment.
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard, with variable-effort steering available.
- Four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes are standard on all models, with additional brake features including dynamic rear proportioning, hydraulic brake boost and panic brake assist.
Traverse safety and crash-avoidance features
The Traverse has 360-degree safety system that helps protect passengers before, during and after a crash, including anchor pretensioners for outboard occupants and pelvic-thorax seat-mounted side air bags. The structure is reinforced in numerous areas with high-strength steel, including a stiff steel cross-car beam welded across the floor between the B-pillars. It also uses dual-phase steel in select areas, such as the lower engine compartment rails. Dual-phase steel is strengthened in the paint oven and offers easier formability, reduced mass, greater strength and better crash energy absorption than most high-strength steels.
Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment. These head curtain side air bags stay inflated longer than air bags developed only for side impacts, since rollover incidents can last longer. The deployment duration and other design features of the air bags combine to provide increased occupant protection and the ability to help keep occupants inside the vehicle.
- StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system with rollover mitigation technology is standard on all models and incorporates full-function traction control.
- Available rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle.
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
- Standard remote keyless entry.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
- Hill start assist brakes help reduce the tendency of a vehicle to roll forward or backward on a hill after the brake pedal is released by momentarily retaining pressure on the brake discs.
OnStar is standard on all Traverse models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Traverse models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
- New OnStar Mobile App allows owners with Android™ or Apple™ smart phones to remotely start the engine, lock and unlock doors and view vital vehicle information such as tire pressure, fuel tank level, range, remaining oil life, etc.
# # #