2014 CHEVROLET SUBURBAN ADDS MORE STANDARD FEATURES TO ITS PACKAGE OF POWER AND CAPABILITY
Since it was introduced nearly 80 years ago, the Chevrolet Suburban has enjoyed the success of being the first SUV on the market. This long-running and popular vehicle continues to offer the complete package of space, power and capability highlighted by the latest in automotive advancements.
Along with Chevy Tahoe, the Suburban contributes to Chevrolet’s nearly 50-percent share of the full-size SUV segment.
The 2014 Suburban is offered in LS, LT and LTZ models – in 2WD or 4WD. A six-speed transmission is standard, optimizing fuel economy on the highway through reduced engine speed. The lower-rpm engine speed on the highway also helps provide a quiet interior.
Suburban rides on a long, 3,302 mm (130-inch) wheelbase, lending structure to Suburban’s spacious passenger and cargo areas, and ensuring a smooth, comfortable ride. The full-size SUV’s architecture combines a distinctive, flowing exterior style with a crisp, precise feel behind the wheel, and exceptional refinement and quietness in the cabin.
Behind the first-row seats, Suburban offers 3,891 litres (137.4 cubic feet) of cargo room, along with up to 3,674 kg (8,100 pounds) of towing capability (2WD models).
Newly standard features on Suburban’s LS and LT models are included for 2014 through the Convenience Package. It features power adjustable pedals, remote vehicle starter system and rear parking assist. A rear view camera system and a rear view mirror with display are standard on both the LS and the LT.
Suburban exterior features
Suburban’s exterior design is pure Chevrolet, with a large Chevy gold bowtie centered on a twin-port horizontal grille. A streamlined finish includes a grille surround complete with an argent texture or available chrome finish. Aggressively styled fog lamps and headlamps oversee the rugged appearance of the Suburban’s lower fascia, with the front license plate holder, integrated recovery hooks and skid plate.
Other exterior features include:
- Power-retractable assist steps are available on LTZ
- Heated power-operated outside mirrors are standard on LTZ and available on LT. Mirror features include auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature
- A power-operated liftgate is available on LT and standard on LTZ
- A range of 17-inch and 20-inch wheels is offered. Seventeen-inch wheels and tires are standard on LS and LT, with 20-inch wheels standard on LTZ
- Dealer-installed accessory wheels include 20- and 22-inch designs
- Exterior colour choices include: Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Black, Silver Ice Metallic, Olympic White, Black Granite Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic,and Concord Metallic (late availability).
The Z71 Off Road appearance package is available on LT models and includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch aluminum wheels and all-terrain tires, automatic-locking differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner. Large, colour-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide the finishing touches to an off-road, outdoor look.
Suburban interior features
Inside the 2014 Suburban, the cabin features have been designed with a great attention to detail. There are almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, with models featuring “close-outs” around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates. Suburban also has the segment’s largest centre console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous cup holders and storage compartments.
The Suburban offers three rows of seating, standard on all models. The second row is available as a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split or two bucket seats. The third row features a 50/50-split design and is removable. A power-assisted second row seat release feature is available on LT and standard on LTZ. Additional interior features include:
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on LT and LTZ
- Heated and cooled front seats and heated second-row seats are standard on LTZ
- A heated and leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LTZ
- Dual-zone automatic climate control on LT and LTZ; dual-zone manual-control air conditioning on LS
- A rear-seat entertainment system is available on LT and LTZ, including DVD player with remote control, two overhead displays, two sets of wireless infrared headphones, auxiliary audio/video jacks and remote game plug-in
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on all models
- Audio system with AM/FM/CD and USB port is standard on LS and LT
- Bose Centerpoint Surround Sound system is standard on LTZ and a Bose nine-speaker sound system is standard on LT. A six-speaker sound system is standard on LS
- Navigation radio with touch-screen operation is standard on LTZ and available on LT
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models
- Power-adjustable pedals are standard on all models. Remote vehicle starter system is standard on all models
- The Convenience Package is standard on LS and includes power-adjustable pedals, remote vehicle starter system, rear park assist, rear vision camera and inside mirror with camera display
A capable powertrain
All Suburban models are powered by a 5.3L V-8 (aluminum engine block on 4WD models) that effectively balances power and efficiency. Variable valve timing helps the 5.3L optimize performance, efficiency and emissions, while GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. It is also E85-capable.
The engine is paired with GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
The variable valve timing system allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per litre of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. It manages valve overlap at optimum levels, eliminating the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
Active Fuel Management (AFM) technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government's required testing procedure, and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible
Chassis and suspension
Built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, the Suburban incorporates a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension, multilink rear suspension with coil springs and rack-and-pinion steering. It has a longer wheelbase that enhances a smooth ride and supports high towing capacity of up to 3,674 kg (8,100 pounds).
Suburban’s stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enables precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
Other features include:
- Wide front and rear tracks – 1,732 mm (68.2 inches) front/1,701 mm (67 inches) rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel
- The Autoride suspension system is standard on LTZ and features a segment-exclusive bi-state, real-time damping system that provides a refined ride with greatly reduced body motion. The system consists of a semi-active, two-position damping control system that responds in real time to road and driving conditions, based on body and wheel motion sensors
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- A trailering package with a 3.42 axle ratio, external transmission cooler and engine oil cooler is available on LS, LT and LTZ models; and a two-speed transfer case on 4WD models
- The standard axle ratio on all models is 3.08
- A locking rear differential is standard.
Suburban safety and crash-avoidance features
Safety is a top priority in the Chevrolet Suburban. Engineered with a strong body structure, the vehicle absorbs crash energy and provides a protective “safety cage” around occupants. Standard head curtain side air bags provide rollover protection for all seating rows, while seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger, also standard, provide thorax and pelvic protection. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
Additional safety features include:
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Standard Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound
- Standard rear view camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
- Side Blind Zone alert is standard on LTZ
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system is included in two of the second-row seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system is standard on all models
- Standard remote keyless entry system provides a second function for the red panic button; drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service comes standard on Suburban. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. An opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.ca.
About Chevrolet in Canada
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.ca, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/chevroletcanada or by following @ChevroletCanada on Twitter.
# # #