2015 CHEVROLET SILVERADO 1500: STRONG, CAPABLE AND CONNECTED
The award-winning Chevrolet Silverado 1500 – named the 2014 North American Truck of the Year – adds an all-new eight-speed automatic transmission to its powertrain roster, enhancing efficiency and refinement while maintaining capability. It’s included on models equipped with the EcoTec3 6.2L V-8 engine.
All of Silverado’s EcoTec3 engines offer advanced fuel-saving technology and the confidence that comes from nearly 60 years of continuous improvement of Chevrolet Small Block engines, while the new eight-speed automatic helps the pickup retain its 6,000 kg (12,000-pound) maximum trailering rating under newly adapted SAE J2807 Recommended Practices.
Additionally, the entire Silverado lineup is available with a number of features engineered for serious towing, including the available NHT max trailering package, which features a 247.9 mm (9.76-inch) rear axle, heavy-duty rear springs, revised shock tuning, enhanced cooling and an integrated trailer brake controller to optimize capability and comfort when trailering.
The Silverado also rolls into 2015 with refinements focused on today’s ever-increasing need for advanced in-vehicle communication, including MyLink enhancements with Text Messaging Alerts, Siri Eyes Free and new, available OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot.
OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the vehicle is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial.
The 2015 Silverado 1500 range includes regular cab, double cab and crew cab body styles, all offered with 4WD. Models and trim levels include Work Truck (WT), LS, LT, LTZ and High Country. Regular cab models are available with a 6’6” box or an 8’ box. Double cab models are offered exclusively with the 6’6” box, while crew cabs are available with a 5’8” box or the 6’6” box.
Along with configurations to suit just about every need, Silverado’s range of technologies is tailored to the way customers use full-size pickups, providing the power, efficiency, refinement and dependability they expect. Examples include:
- The available 6.2L EcoTec3 V-8 is the most powerful engine offered in any light-duty pickup, with 420 horsepower and 460 lb-ft of torque. Like other EcoTec3 engines, it combines proven performance with advanced fuel-saving technologies, seamlessly switching to four cylinders to improve efficiency in light-load driving
- High-strength steel that makes the frames and cabs stronger and lighter, yet can take the pounding of towing, hauling and off-road operation, year after year – and helps Silverado deliver a 5-Star rating in the newest government crash test
- Strategic use of aluminum alloys to reduce the weight of engines, front suspension components, hoods and other parts
- Driver-focused interiors featuring ample storage, multiple power and USB connections and available high-wear cloth for bench or bucket seats.
Additional new and enhanced features for 2015 include a new argent grille mesh finish with chrome surround on LTZ models with the Z71 package; the available spray-on bedliner is now offered on all models; and a USB port is added to the upper glove box on LT models equipped with the 40/20/40 front bench seat.
New exterior colours – Rain Forest Metallic, Deep Ocean Blue Metallic – are offered across the lineup and a pair of specialty exterior colours will be offered for limited periods during the model year: Sunrise Metallic and Pewter.
Chevrolet supports Silverado customers with the best pickup coverage in North America, with two years/40,000 kilometres of scheduled maintenance. It complements the three-year/ 60,000 kilometre bumper-to-bumper limited vehicle warranty and five-year/160,00 kilometre powertrain limited warranty.
Model and trim details
The 2015 Silverado is offered in WT (Work Truck), LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, along with Z71 and High Country models, giving customers a wider range of well-equipped trucks offering premium features. All three cab styles and box configurations are available in WT, LS and LT trim, with LTZ reserved for double and crew cab models.
WT models feature black bumpers, door handles and outside mirrors. Chrome bumpers are standard on LS, LT and LTZ trims – and available on 1WT – with chrome door handles, mirror caps and body side moulding standard on LTZ. Heated, power-adjustable and driver’s side spotter-equipped outside mirrors are standard on LS, LT and LTZ, with a power-folding feature standard on LTZ.
High Country builds on the LTZ trim and is distinguished by a unique chrome grille with horizontal chrome bars, halogen projector headlamps and body-colour front and rear bumpers. Unique 508 mm (20-inch) chrome wheels with P275/55R20 all-season tires are standard, as are chrome body side mouldings, door handles and mirrors. Inside, it features an exclusive saddle brown interior, along with heated and cooled perforated premium leather front bucket seats with High Country logos on the headrests, Chevrolet MyLink connectivity with an eight-inch touch screen, Bose® premium audio and front and rear park assist.
Z71 is available on LT and LTZ and includes a specific, off-road-style lower bumper appearance and unique grille and grille badge, along with off-road suspension components and specific interior appointments. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard with the LT trim and 457 mm (18-inch) bright-machined aluminum wheels are standard with LTZ – and available on LT.
Wheel choices for other models include standard 432 mm (17-inch) painted steel wheels on WT and 17-inch steel wheels with stainless steel trim on LS; with 432 mm (17-inch) bright-machined aluminum on LT and 18-inch bright-machined aluminum on LTZ. 457 mm (18-inch) wheels are available on LT and 508 mm (20-inch) wheels are offered on LT and LTZ.
559 mm (22-inch) chrome aluminum wheels are available on LT, LTZ and High Country as dealer-installed accessories. Silverado’s suspension is designed to accommodate the mass and performance dynamics of 508 (20) - and 559 mm (22-inch) wheels and tires, to complement their style with uncompromising ride quality and hauling capability.
Exterior design and features
Silverado’s exterior design blends strong Chevy truck heritage with a modern aesthetic. It is refined and aerodynamic, reducing wind noise in the cabin and enhancing efficiency on the highway.
Inlaid doors fit into body sides rather than wrapping over the roof and combine with triple door seals to reduce wind noise and turbulence, helping quiet the cab. Also, the front of the truck is carefully sealed to provide efficient cooling with minimal aerodynamic drag. An aluminum hood with twin power domes also enhances efficiency with lower weight than a steel hood.
The Silverado’s signature bold, upright two-port grille is flanked by headlamps pushed to the corners, enhancing the truck’s stance. The headlamps carry Chevrolet’s signature vertically stacked design, with projector-beam lamps standard on LTZ and High Country models, along with available halogen fog lamps.
The Silverado backs up its muscular appearance with customer-focused attention to detail. Wide rear crew cab doors, for example, make it easier to get in and out of the truck, while the pickup box’s two-tier loading design, CornerStep bumper (standard on all models except High Country) and ergonomically shaped handholds built into new box rail protectors make it easier to load and retrieve items.
New, heated, power-adjustable trailering mirrors are offered on LT, LTZ and High Country (late availability), including segment-first back-up lamps. The large mirrors feature 51 square inches of flat mirror surface positioned over a 24.5-square-inch convex mirror surface (convex area not heated or power-adjustable). A new auxiliary back-up lamp is integrated in each mirror to enhance trailer visibility when backing up, as well as an amber auxiliary clearance lamp. The LT trailering mirror is black and can be extended and folded manually. The LTZ/High Country mirror has a chrome cap and a power-folding feature.
Silverado’s design also includes a smart pickup box that’s strong and durable – and offers greater cargo flexibility. It features a two-tier loading design that allows customers to insert a platform to separate items during hauling or conceal valuables below, such as power tools.
Silverado’s EZ Lift-and-Lower tailgate makes it easier to access the box. An internal torsion bar reduces the effort to raise and lower it, while a rotary damper allows for a controlled and more gradual lowering motion when opening it. The tailgate is also easily removable without tools. It is standard on double cab and crew cab models with LT or LTZ trim, as well as High Country models.
To ensure loaded items remain in place while the vehicle is in motion, four integrated cargo tie-down provisions are built into the lower corners of the Silverado’s pickup box and adjustable upper tie-down hooks are available. The patented upper hooks – each rated at 125 kg (250 pounds) – can be placed in several locations around the upper bed rails, providing flexibility for securing loads of all shapes and sizes. Moving them is fast, easy and requires only a simple hand tool. Four of the hooks are included with the optional package, with additional hooks available as accessories from Chevrolet dealers.
A box light is standard and mounted above the rear window, while available under-rail LED lights enhance illumination and turn on with the standard overhead box lamp. They are included with all accessory tonneau covers, providing illumination for the box when the cover is in place.
Exterior colour choices: Un-ripened Green Metallic, Tungsten Metallic, Brownstone Metallic, Black, Blue Topaz Metallic, Olympic White, Sonoma Jewel Metallic, Switchblade Silver Metallic, Victory Red and – exclusive on crew cabs – White Diamond Tricoat.
Later in the model year and for a limited time, Sunrise Orange Matallic and Pewter Metallic will be offered.
The Silverado’s interior is roomy, quiet and functional, with a strong cab structure the foundation for Silverado’s refinement. Nearly two-thirds of it is made of high-strength steel, while shear-style body mounts are used to tune out both up-and-down and side-to-side movement for a quiet, comfortable ride. Double and crew cab models have a set of hydraulic body mounts to further isolate the cabs.
All models feature an upright instrument panel with a six-gauge instrument cluster and multiple storage options tailored to the needs of customers who rely on their truck for more than simply hauling cargo. The controls are logically placed and easy to operate with work gloves on.
The instrument panel has a simple, intuitive six-gauge cluster. WT and LS models include an 88.9 mm (3.5-inch) driver information centre display in the middle of the instrument cluster, with a 107 mm (4.2-inch) colour driver information centre display, for vehicle and infotainment data, standard on LT, LTZ, Z71 and High Country models. Ambient lighting highlights all functional areas, such as the “4x4” and headlamp switches, as well as the radio, for easier viewing at night.
All models have extensive interior storage, tailored to the way customers use their trucks. An all-new centre console – available on vehicles with front bucket seats – offers nearly 1 cubic foot (24.5 litres) of combined storage space – about 25-percent more room than a typical paper grocery bag, with the depth and width to conceal a laptop computer.
The locking console accommodates hanging files for owners who use their truck as a rolling office, as well as controls for overhead ambient lighting, map pockets along the side, movable cup holders and reconfigurable compartments. It also includes five USB ports, two 12-volt power points, a new 110-volt outlet and a cord management system, allowing owners to leave their phone charger plugged in for quicker access when it’s needed, but remains concealed and without a dangling cord when it’s not. Plus, there’s a location on the console designed specifically for cell phone storage.
The fold-down centre armrest on WT and other models equipped with the 40/20/40-split bench seat offers covered storage and connectivity, with two USB ports and two 12-volt power points.
Front seating configurations include:
- WT – 40/20/40-split vinyl bench seat with fold-down armrest that includes covered storage and three integrated cup holders. Cloth seating is available
- LS – 40/20/40-split cloth bench seat with fold-down armrest that includes covered storage and three integrated cup holders.
- LT / Z71 with LT trim – 40/20/40-split bench seat with fold-down armrest that includes covered storage and three integrated cup holders, lockable under-seat storage compartment. Cloth bucket seats or a heated, leather-appointed 40/20/40 bench seat is available.
- LTZ / Z71 with LTZ trim – Heated, leather-appointed bench seat with 10-way driver and outboard passenger seat adjusters, including power lumbar and driver’s two-position memory. Heated leather-appointed bucket seats are available.
- High Country – Heated and cooled leather-appointed bucket seats, with contrast stitching and 12-way power adjustments, including four-way power lumbar.
A high-wear seat cloth is available on all trim levels. Along with greater durability, it is stain-resistant and can be easily cleaned. In fact, a spilled drink will bead on top of the fabric instead of soaking into it.
Three interior trim colours are offered: Jet Black, Jet Black with Dark Ash accents and Cocoa with Dune accents. Silverado High Country’s heated and cooled leather-appointed seats come in an exclusive Saddle colour.
MyLink and OnStar with 4G LTE
The 2015 Silverado’s MyLink system gives customers the best of both worlds when it comes to infotainment. It provides easy, intuitive operation of basic functions, yet it is also highly customizable and capable of linking up to 10 devices such as smartphones, SD cards and MP3 players, giving customers and their families more ways of staying connected.
The heart of the system is a 203 mm (8-inch)-diagonal touch screen with multiple USB ports. A navigation system is also available.
Enhanced connectivity and convenience includes a new Text Messaging Alerts feature for smartphone users with Bluetooth profile (M.A.P.), which reads incoming texts through the vehicle’s speakers, and Siri Eyes Free for iPhone iOS 6 and iOS 7 users to enhance connectivity and convenience. Each enables voice-controlled connectivity, to help keep phones in pockets and hands on the wheel. Enhancements also include gesture recognition and natural language voice recognition.
Complementing MyLink to enhance Silverado’s connectivity is new, available OnStar with 4G LTE and standard built-in Wi-Fi hotspot. It provides a mobile hub for drivers and passengers to stay connected. The hotspot is on whenever the car is on and comes with a three-month/three-gigabyte data trial, after which the owner can purchase additional data.
4G LTE is the most current and fastest mobile data network – 10 times faster than 3G and 100 times faster than the previous generation of OnStar hardware. And with OnStar, it also offers stronger, broader coverage than smartphones on the same network and it’s easy to use: If the vehicle is on, the connection is on.
At the time of purchase, six months OnStar Directions and Connections includes all of OnStar’s advisor-based safety and security features, including Automatic Crash Response and Stolen Vehicle Assistance, as well as turn-by-turn navigation.
Five years of OnStar Basic Plan includes RemoteLink Key Fob Services, allowing owners to remotely start and lock/unlock a car (if properly equipped), and activate the horn and lights from anywhere with a data connection. It also includes OnStar Vehicle Diagnostics, which runs monthly checks of a vehicle’s engine, transmission, anti-lock brakes and more, and Dealer Maintenance Notification, which sends a diagnostic report directly to a preferred dealer to simplify service scheduling.
Powertrains support great capability
The Silverado’s trio of EcoTec3 engines – a 4.3L V-6, 5.3L V-8 and 6.2L V-8 – is designed for the needs of full-size truck customers. Each features direct injection, Active Fuel Management (cylinder deactivation) and continuously variable valve timing to make the most of power, torque and efficiency across a broad range of operating conditions:
- The 4.3L V-6 is SAE-certified at 285 horsepower (212 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (413 Nm) – the most torque of any standard V-6.
- The 5.3L V-8 is SAE-certified at 355 horsepower (250 kW) and 383 lb.-ft. of torque (519 Nm). With a fuel consumption rating of 9.9 L/100km highway (2WD), it offers the best fuel economy of any V-8 pickup, and beats the fuel economy estimates of the Ford EcoBoost V-6.
- The new 6.2L V-8 is the most power engine offered in any light-duty pickup truck, with SAE-certified 420 horsepower (313 kW) and 460 lb-ft of torque (623 Nm).
At the heart of the EcoTec3 engine family is an advanced combustion system that maximizes the potential of the direct fuel injection system, cylinder deactivation, continuously variable valve timing and other technologies. The ability to more precisely control combustion also enables the engines to run with a higher compression ratio – 11.0:1 for the versions with regular fuel recommended. Higher compression is one of the best ways to simultaneously boost power and efficiency.
That increased efficiency can be maintained over a broader range of operating conditions in the Silverado 1500. For example, when towing a trailer on a hot summer day, the advanced combustion system can reduce the need to trim back spark advance to control detonation, helping maintain both performance and real-world fuel efficiency, even when the going gets really tough.
In the U.S. and Canada, the 4.3L and 5.3L engines are matched with the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission, while the 6.2L is matched with the all-new 8L90 eight-speed automatic.
The GM-developed Hydra-Matic 8L90 is roughly the same size and weight as the 6L80 six-speed automatic. Its 7.0 overall gear ratio spread is wider than GM’s six-speed automatic transmissions. That provides a numerically higher first gear ratio, helping drivers start off more confidently with a heavy load or when trailering. The 8L90 also enables numerically lower rear axle ratios, which reduce engine rpm on the highway.
Confident driving experience
The Silverado 1500 was engineered to deliver great capability with great refinement, with a quiet, controlled ride, great steering and braking feel – attributes that provide driving confidence when using the truck’s capability to its fullest.
A fully boxed frame with the main rails and major cross members formed from high-strength steel provides a rigid base for maximum hauling capability, great noise and vibration isolation and excellent crashworthiness. The stiff chassis enables more precise tuning of the front and rear suspensions, for a more responsive feel with smoother performance and less vibration and shake, particularly on harsh terrain.
The 2015 Silverado benefits from a half-inch wider rear track and half-inch wider wheels introduced on the redesigned 2014 models to enhance stability and ride smoothness. The new geometry also contributes to flatter, more confident-feeling cornering whether the truck is empty, loaded or trailering. The wider wheels reduce tire flexing and new-design twin-tube shock absorbers at all corners improve low-speed damping for a smoother, more controlled ride.
All Silverado 1500 models – 2WD and 4WD – feature a coil-over-shock independent front suspension design, with forged aluminum upper control arms and cast-aluminum lower control arms on select models. They are 11.5 kg (23 pounds) lighter and 10 percent stiffer than comparable steel components.
A Hotchkiss-type axle/rear suspension design delivers the load-sharing strength and flexibility that truck owners have relied on for decades. A lineup of more robust axles is used with two-stage, semi-elliptical multi-leaf springs, complementing the higher-torque powertrains to deliver maximum strength under load. It includes:
- An 8.6-inch axle with V-6 models offered with a 3.23 ratio in 2WD models and a 3.42 ratio with 4WD
- A larger, 9.5-inch axle is used with 5.3L and 6.2L V-8 models. A 3.08 ratio is standard with the 5.3L and a 3.42 ratio is standard with the 6.2L and optional with the 5.3L
- A high-capacity 9.76-inch axle is part of the available Max Trailering Package.
For owners whose work or recreation takes them off road, the Z71 Off Road package mixes aesthetic cues with greater capability, including 46 mm monotube Rancho shocks, front tow hooks, a transfer case shield on 4WD models and available unique 18-inch wheels with all-terrain tires. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard and 20-inch wheels and all-terrain tires are also available.
Additional standard and available chassis and suspension features:
- Hill descent control is engaged by the driver and uses the anti-lock braking system to enable a smooth and controlled descent in rough terrain. It is standard with Z71 and available on other models.
- Automatic locking rear differential reacts in milliseconds in low-traction situations to improve safety and confidence on wet, snowy or muddy surfaces. Without driver input of any kind, the rear axle engages when a wheel speed difference of 100 rpm or more is detected between the left and right wheels, providing instant traction for confident driving. During normal driving conditions, the differential functions as a conventional light-bias limited-slip axle. It is standard on Z71 and available on other models (included with Max Trailering Package).
- Electric variable-assist power steering is standard on all models. It reduces steering effort at low speeds. Because there is no engine-driven pump, electric power steering also saves fuel and eliminates the maintenance associated with hydraulic power steering.
- Four-wheel disc brakes. The large, vented front brake rotors measure 13 inches in diameter and are complemented by 13.6-inch rear rotors. An enhanced brake vacuum pump introduced in 2014 improves braking capability through greater brake system boost, while the brake pedal assembly itself is lighter, for a more uniform, linear feel throughout the entire pedal travel range.
- Duralife™ brake rotors that offer up to double the service life. A GM-exclusive process protects against rust that, over time, can lead to steering wheel shudder. It involves super-heating the rotors to more than 560 degrees C (1,000 F) for an entire day in a special oven, where the nitrogen-rich atmosphere promotes nitrogen atoms to bond to the rotors’ surfaces, hardening and strengthening them.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all Silverado 1500 models, working in concert with the new four-wheel-disc brake system and four-channel ABS to provide more precise and controlled ABS stops, greater traction and excellent cornering stability. It also incorporates rollover mitigation technology, which anticipates tip-up conditions – such as fishtailing – on a flat road surface and rapidly applies brake pressure to help reduce the likelihood of a rollover.
- Trailer sway control is also standard and works with StabiliTrak to provide an added measure of confidence when towing a trailer. It senses conditions of trailer sway and, without input from the driver, intervenes with braking and/or reduced engine power to bring the trailer under control and keep it on its intended path. The system will use electric trailer brakes when a trailer is plugged into the standard wiring harness.
- Integrated trailer brake controller and hill start assist are two more solutions that help owners do their work with greater confidence and less hassle. The trailer brake controller allows the driver to adjust the amount of output available to the electric trailer brake and to manually apply the brakes. With hill start assist, the brakes hold for about 1.5 seconds on grades of 5 percent or greater when the driver takes his or her foot off the brake pedal, preventing rollback for a more confident take-off on hilly roads or terrain – especially with a trailer.
The Max Trailering Package is available on 2WD and 4WD V-8 crew cab and double cab models and includes a 9.76-inch rear axle, heavy-duty rear springs, revised shock tuning for increased control, enhanced cooling and an integrated trailer brake controller. Also included is the G80 locking rear differential, a trailer hitch and bumper-mounted four- and seven-pin connectors.
The 2015 Chevrolet Silverado’s safety systems incorporate technologies designed to protect the driver and passengers before, during and after a collision.
When it comes to preventing a crash, available forward collision alert technology indicates when the truck is closing in on a vehicle ahead too quickly, providing additional time to react and avoid a crash. Forward collision alert tracks the vehicle ahead using a forward-facing camera and a three-step visual and sound alert.
If the truck is equipped with the segment-exclusive safety alert seat, the driver can choose to replace warning beeps for all crash avoidance features with directional safety alert seat vibrations through their vehicle settings. Forward collision alert is available on LTZ and High Country extended and crew cab models; and on a limited basis on regular cab LT models. Available lane departure warning technology alerts the driver when the truck drifts over a lane line when traveling at least 56 km/h (35 mph).
In the event of a crash, standard occupant protection features include:
- Three-point safety belts in in all rear seating positions
- Front outboard safety belt retractor pretensioners that automatically reduce slack in the shoulder belts, helping to keep occupants upright and reduce forward movement
- Energy management system retractors that gradually let out the front outboard pretensioned safety belt to manage occupant energy and limit forces to the occupant in a frontal collision
- Six standard air bags and 360-degree sensor system, including:
- Dual-stage frontal air bags work with the safety belts and deploy in one or two levels to help reduce injury to the driver and outside front passenger in certain frontal collisions. A Passenger Sensing System helps detect the presence of a properly seated front passenger and determine if the frontal air bag should be allowed to inflate
- Head-curtain side-impact air bags with rollover protection deploy from the roof rail area for outboard passengers
- Seat-mounted side-impact air bags help protect the chest and pelvic regions of the driver and outside front passenger in a side-impact, absorbing as much crash energy as possible
- LATCH system helps customers properly install a child seat using a top tether anchor and two lower anchors located between the seat cushion and seatback.
Additionally, StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation technology, trailer sway control and hill-start assist are standard, while a rear-vision camera and front and rear park assist are available.
About Chevrolet in Canada
Founded in 1911 in Detroit, Chevrolet is now one of the world's largest car brands, doing business in more than 140 countries and selling more than 4.5 million cars and trucks a year. Chevrolet provides customers with fuel-efficient vehicles that feature spirited performance, expressive design and high quality. More information on Chevrolet models can be found at www.chevrolet.ca, on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/chevroletcanada or by following @ChevroletCanada on Twitter.
# # #