Capability might well be the Chevrolet Silverado 1500’s middle name. With a broad range of body styles, efficient powertrains and connectivity technology, it can be configured for just about any job – whether hauling equipment and a crew to a job site or towing a camper for a weekend getaway.
The Silverado 1500 lineup is built on GM’s full-size truck architecture, which supports a smooth ride and confident handling. A lineup of powerful small-block V-8 engines and six-speed automatic transmissions complement the strong chassis by enabling a maximum payload capacity of 898 kilograms (1,980 lbs) on the 2WD crew cab (with the enhanced trailering package). It is also an efficient powertrain lineup, with the Silverado XFE (2WD crew cab) delivering an estimated fuel consumption rating of 9.1L/100km on the highway and a towing capacity of 3,175 kilograms (7,000 lbs).
When equipped with the available enhanced trailering package and the 6.2L V-8, the Silverado 1500 can tow up to 4,853 kilograms (10,700 lbs).
The range of body styles and configurations for 2012 includes:
- Three cab styles – regular, extended and crew cab.
- Three cargo box lengths – 5 foot 8 inches (short), 6 foot 6 inches (standard) and 8 foot (long).
- Five trim levels: WT, LT, XFE and LTZ, all available in 2WD and 4WD (except XFE, which is 2WD only).
The unique Silverado XFE incorporates unique aerodynamic enhancements, a 5.3L/six-speed automatic powertrain and other details to deliver its estimated fuel consumption rating of 9.1L/100km on the highway. The segment-exclusive Silverado Hybrid returns for 2012, delivering a 23.5-percent improvement in overall fuel efficiency while offering the Silverado’s traditional capabilities – including a 2,812 kilograms (6,200-lb) towing capacity.
New and revised exterior features for 2012 include a chrome mesh grille matched with either a chrome surround on LS and LT models or a body-colour surround on LTZ. There’s also a more aerodynamic front chrome bumper on 2WD models without tow hooks and a new, 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheel. New exterior colours for 2012 include: Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Black Granite Metallic and Graystone Metallic. White Diamond Tricoat is part of a White Diamond Edition available in LT and LTZ trim.
Inside, there is a new hard-drive navigation radio with CD and USB port features and an 80-gig hard drive (30 gigs of memory), heated and cooled front seats available on LTZ models and new interior colour combinations for LT/XFE models: Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere.
Also, a number of popular features offered on the WT trim level are now standard, including cruise control and a spare tire lock.
Silverado design and exterior features
The Silverado has a chiselled design that accents a broad-shouldered stance to give it a confident, firmly planted stance. Design cues include a power dome hood, flared rear fenders, vertically stacked reflector-optics headlamps and Chevrolet’s iconic bow tie emblem in the grille.
A chrome bumper is standard on LS, LT and XFE trim level models, while LTZ trim level models receive body-colour front bumpers. The large, grab-style door handles are designed for easy use with gloves.
Highlights of Silverado’s standard and available exterior features include:
- Fog lamps are standard on LTZ and available on LT and XFE.
- Heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors including auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature are standard on LTZ.
- Heated, power-adjustable vertical camper-style outside mirrors are available on LT, XFE and LTZ. Manual-folding camper-style mirrors are available on WT.
- EZ-Lift tailgate (spring-loaded) is available on WT, LT, XFE and LTZ models.
- Locking tailgate is available on WT, LT, XFE and LTZ models.
- A range of 17-inch, 18-inch and 20-inch wheels is offered. Seventeen-inch wheels are standard on all models. Eighteen-inch wheels are included with the Z71 Off Road package. Twenty-inch wheels are available on LT, XFE and LTZ.
- Dealer-installed accessory wheels include 20- and 22-inch designs.
- White Diamond Edition is available in LT or LTZ trim. Content includes White Diamond Tricoat exterior colour, chrome mirror caps and door handles and body side mouldings with chrome accents on LT models. The LTZ version adds the Z60 high-performance suspension package, 20-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels and touring tires and the chrome package.
- The Z71 Off Road appearance package is available on LT and LTZ extended cab and crew cab models. Content includes the Z71 suspension package, 18-inch chrome-clad aluminum wheels and on/off-road tires, fog lamps, body-colour outside mirrors and door handles, unique “Z71 Plus” identification on the exterior, sill plates and gauge cluster, chrome recovery hooks, Rancho front and rear shocks, unique lower front fascia with smooth appearance and a body-colour grille with a specific chrome insert.
- Chrome Accessories Package is available on LT, LTZ and Cheyenne extended cab and crew cab models. Content includes chrome door handles, chrome mirror caps and 6” chrome oval assist steps.
- Exterior colour choices include: Black, Imperial Blue Metallic, Blue Granite Metallic, Summit White, White Diamond, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, Black Granite Metallic and Graystone Metallic
Dealer-installed accessories are available for Silverado 1500, including tonneau covers, chrome packages, bed liners, utility racks and more.
Silverado interior standard and available features
Silverado features two interiors to meet the diverse needs of customers. The WT and LT trim levels feature the “pure pickup”interior and the LTZ trim level features the luxury-inspired interior similar to Chevrolet’s full-size utilities.
WT and LT trim levels feature larger controls and door handles that are easier to use with gloves. A large-capacity, double glove box is part of the instrument panel. LTZ models feature a luxury-inspired interior with a unique instrument panel, door panels, larger-capacity centre console that offers 20.1 litres of undivided storage and other distinct trim.
A stadium-style rear seat with a 60/40-split design and folding centre armrest is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models. It can be easily folded up with one hand, without using a release handle, to provide an uninterrupted load floor. Alternatively, either section of the split seat can be stowed independently, allowing room for both cargo and a rear-seat passenger.
Rear access doors open 170 degrees for easy entry to the rear seat/storage area of extended cab models. Power-operated rear side windows lower completely into the 170-degree access doors, providing 100-percent openness on LT and LTZ models.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on LTZ and available on LT and XFE; single-zone manual air conditioning is standard on WT, LT and XFE.
- AM/FM stereo is standard on WT models (not available with SiriusXM Satellite Radio).
- Range of CD/DVD/MP3-capable audio systems is available on all models.
- Navigation radio with AM/FM stereo, MP3-compatible CD/DVD player and USB port is available on LTZ models.
- Bose premium speaker system with subwoofer mounted in the centre console is standard on LTZ and available on LT and XFE.
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on LTZ crew cab and includes a rear-seat DVD player, remote control and two sets of wireless headphones.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio is standard on LT, XFE and LTZ models and available on WT.
- SiriusXM NavTraffic feature is available on LT, XFE and LTZ.
- Bluetooth hands-free phone connectivity is standard on LTZ models and available on WT.
- Driver Information Centre is standard on all models.
- Power-adjustable pedals are available on LT, XFE and LTZ models.
- Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel.
- Remote vehicle starter system is standard on LTZ and available on LT and XFE models.
- Vinyl seat trim and rubberized floor covering is standard on WT models. Cloth seat trim is available on WT.
- Premium cloth seat trim is standard on LT and XFE models.
- Leather-trimmed front seat trim is standard on LTZ and available on LT and XFE models.
- Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat is standard on WT models.
- Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat with lockable storage compartment is standard on LT and XFE models.
- Front bucket seats with 10-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are standard on LTZ models. Front bucket seats with six-way power adjusters are available on LT and XFE models.
- Rear 60/40-split folding bench seat is standard on crew cab models.
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LT, XFE and LTZ models and available on WT.
- Steering wheel audio controls are standard on LTZ and available on WT, LT and XFE models.
- Power-operated sunroof is available on LT and LTZ extended cab and crew cab models. The sunroof retracts above the roof on extended cab and inside the roof on crew cab models.
- Power-operated rear sliding window is available on LT, XFE and LTZ models.
- Interior trim colours include: Ebony, Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere, Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Titanium.
- 1SA Convenience Package is available on WT. Content includes power-door locks, remote keyless entry, AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 playback, Bluetooth phone connectivity and auxiliary input jack.
- LT Interior Package is available on LT. Content includes driver six-way power seat adjuster, steering wheel-mounted audio controls, AM/FM stereo with CD and MP3 playback and Bluetooth phone connectivity.
- LTZ Convenience Package is available on LTZ and includes Universal Home Remote, power-adjustable pedals and Rear Parking Assist.
Silverado models are powered by an efficient lineup of engines, led by Vortec small-block V-8s.
Advanced technologies such as Active Fuel Management (AFM) and variable valve timing (VVT) optimize performance and efficiency. Three FlexFuel engines are available – and partnered with fuel-saving AFM – giving customers the choice of powering their truck with E85 ethanol, gasoline or a combination of both fuels. Silverado 1500’s engine offerings include:
- 4.3L V-6, rated at 195 hp (145 kW) and 260 lb.-ft. of torque (351 Nm).
- 4.8L V-8, E85-capable with iron block; rated at 302 hp (225 kW) and 305 lb.-ft. of torque (412 Nm).
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8, E85-capable with iron block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 325 hp (235 kW) and 348 lb.-ft. of torque (452 Nm).
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8, E85-capable with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 326 hp (235 kW) and 348 lb.-ft. of torque (452 Nm).
- 6.2L V-8, with E85 FlexFuel capability, an aluminum block and variable valve timing, rated at 403 hp (300 kW) and 417 lb.-ft. of torque (565 Nm). This engine is available in crew cab and extended cab models.
- The variable valve timing system on Silverado’s V-8 engines allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per litre of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, it eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation (EGR) system.
- GM’s Active Fuel Management technology improves fuel efficiency approximately 6 percent under the federal government’s required testing procedure and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible.
- E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gases during the combustion process.
Silverado chassis and suspension
Built on GM’s full-size truck platform, the Silverado incorporates features such as a fully boxed frame – with a hydroformed front section – coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. It also has wide front and rear tracks that enhance stability and driving confidence through a more secure road feel.
Silverado is offered with five suspension systems, each tailored to suit specific driving requirements:
- Z83 – Delivers a solid, smooth ride with monotube front shocks and twin-tube rear shocks
- Z85 – Designed for enhanced handling and trailer towing, with monotube front and rear shocks
- Z71 – Delivers enhanced off-road capability; features specific monotube front and rear shocks
- Z60 – Designed for maximum street performance and offered with 20-inch wheels, as well as monotube front and rear shocks
- NHT – Designed for maximum towing capacity; it includes monotube rear shocks, 17-inch wheels and off-road tires, and high-capacity rear springs.
Additional chassis and suspension details include:
- A coil-over-shock front suspension delivers linear handling characteristics on all road surfaces.
- A rack-and-pinion steering system provides precise control and strong on-centre feel.
- A Hotchkiss-type rear suspension provides superior isolation and ride with a splayed arrangement for the shock absorbers.
- Four-channel ABS is standard on all models and is linked to the StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system to help mitigate rollover crashes.
- StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system is standard on all models and now includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist.
- Wide front and rear tracks – 68.1 inches (1,732 mm) front/67 inches (1,702 mm) rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel.
- A stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components.
- Autotrac electronic transfer case is standard on LT and LTZ models.
- An automatic locking rear differential is standard on XFE and LTZ models and available on WT and LT models.
- Integrated trailer brake controller is available on all models (except when equipped with the 4.3L engine).
- The Z71 Plus Package is available on LT and LTZ models. Content includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, on/off-road tires, off-road jounce bumpers, front stabilizer bar and high-capacity air cleaner.
- The Max Trailering Package is available on LT and LTZ extended cab and crew cab models. Content includes the 6.2L V-8 engine, heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential, Z85 suspension, 9.5-inch rear axle, 3.73 axle ratio, 17-inch aluminum wheels and on/off-road tires and four-wheel disc brakes.
Silverado safety and crash-avoidance features
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment.
- Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger provide thorax and pelvic protection.
- StabiliTrak® electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Available rear-view camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle.
- Standard high-capacity brake system with four-channel ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
- Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) is available on LT trim level and up. It provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their vehicle without sounding the panic alarm.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
Silverado is offered with OnStar® as standard on all models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar® subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
The OnStar® RemoteLink™ app allows Silverado owners to control OnStar® functions from a smart phone.
- OnStar® is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar® Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Silverado models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
# # #