NEW 3.6L V-6, CHEVROLET MYLINK GIVE THE 2013 CHEVY EQUINOX MORE POWER
The Chevrolet Equinox rolls into 2013 with a new, more powerful 3.6L V-6 engine, Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigation and other features that will help maintain its momentum as one of the industry’s most popular compact crossovers.
The Equinox seats five and is available in LS, LT (1LT and 2LT trims) and LTZ models, with available all-wheel drive. When equipped with the standard Ecotec 2.4L direct-injected engine, the FWD Equinox achieves a highway fuel consumption rating of 6.1L/100km.
The new, direct-injected “LFX” 3.6L V-6 is available on LT and LTZ models and is SAE certified at 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb.-ft. of torque (369 Nm). That’s 14 percent more horsepower and 22 percent more torque than the previous 3.0L V-6, but delivers the same highway fuel consumption rating, 8.1L/100km (FWD models).
A new FE2 suspension package is matched with the 3.6L V-6 and is offered with 18-inch or 19-inch chrome-clad wheels on LTZ models.
Chevrolet MyLink adds another dimension of power to the 2013 Equinox, offering customers a higher level of in-vehicle wireless connectivity with an intuitive interface that is easy to use. MyLink seamlessly integrates Internet radio stations such as Stitcher SmartRadio® using hands-free voice and touch-screen controls via Bluetooth-enabled phones.
MyLink adds stereo audio streaming and wireless control of smartphones, building on the voice-activated Bluetooth hands-free calling capability already offered in most Chevy vehicles. A high-resolution, seven-inch, full-colour touch screen display makes media selection easy to navigate. MyLink also retains all the capabilities of today’s entertainment functions, including AM/FM/XM tuners, CD player with MP3 playback, auxiliary and USB inputs.
MyLink Radio with Navigation is available on LTZ and 2LT. It is integrated with Equinox’s advanced audio system.
Additional new features for 2013 include:
- Available rear-seat, dual-player DVD entertainment system with a dual displays in the seat backs and dual wireless headphones
- Universal home remote
- Eight-way power front passenger seat
- Convenience packages, that offer new universal home remote, heated eight-way power front passenger seat and power-assisted programmable liftgate
- Safety package with forward collision alert, lane departure warning and rear park assist
- Forward Collision Alert and Lane Departure Warning are now available on both four-cylinder and V-6 models.
Equinox is also offered with three new exterior colours: Champagne Silver Metallic (late availability), Atlantis Metallic and Tungsten Metallic.
Equinox wears Chevrolet’s signature global face – a two-tier grille and prominent gold bowtie insignia – that combines with strong fender shapes, distinctive premium roofline, wraparound headlamps and dual round taillamps. Equinox also stands out with a multi-dimensional hood, wraparound rear side glass and wheels-at-the-corners stance.
Additional exterior features include:
- Integrated rocker panels make getting in and out of the Equinox easier
- Chrome trim and flush-fitting, “exposed edge” windshield and rear glass provide an upscale appearance and reduce wind noise
- Range of 17-, 18- and 19-inch wheels.
Equinox interior features
Equinox’s interior is designed for comfort, convenience and versatility. The standard MultiFlex rear seat capability allows the seat to be moved fore or aft 200 millimetres (7.9 inches) for best-in-class rear legroom. With the 60/40 split-back rear seat moved all the way forward, the cargo area offers 872 litres (30.8 cubic feet) of storage.
Family-friendly features include several storage bins, an oversized glove box, a closed storage under the centre armrest big enough to accommodate a laptop computer, four 12-volt power outlets and eight cup and bottle holders. A segment-exclusive rear programmable power liftgate is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT with the convenience package.
Equinox is also a quiet and refined vehicle. Noise-absorbing elements in the chassis, engine compartment and interior and windshield glass make the cabin one of the quietest in the segment. 2.4L models feature an Active Noise Cancellation system that contributes to exceptional quietness.
Additional interior features include:
- Available Chevrolet MyLink Radio with Navigaton
- Air conditioning is standard on all models, with automatic climate control standard on 2LT and LTZ
- Leather-appointed seating is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT
- Universal home remote is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT with the convenience package
- Eight-way power front passenger seat is standard on LTZ and available on 2LT with the convenience package
- Heated front seats are standard on LTZ and 2LT, and available on 1LT with the convenience package
- Rear-vision camera is standard on LT and LTZ
- Adaptive remote start that also activates the front and rear defrosters, heated seats and outside heated mirrors when the temperature is 7 degrees C (45 F) or colder
- Ice-blue ambient lighting accentuates key areas of the cabin and provides an upscale look and feel
- Range of standard and available audio systems, including a Pioneer Premium System with up to eight speakers and 250 watts of output.
Chassis and suspension
Equinox is built on a body-integral structure with single-piece body side stampings and targeted applications of high-strength steel. These elements create a solid, quiet driving experience. Additional features include:
- Strong structure with four-wheel independent suspension system for greater control and driver feedback
- Rack-mounted electronic power steering on 2.4L-equipped models; hydraulic power rack-and-pinion steering on 3.6L V-6-equipped models
- Available all-wheel drive
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control and rollover mitigation technology help keeps the vehicle in its intended path in the event of an emergency manoeuvre
- Trailering anti-sway control and hill hold assist feature
- Standard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with traction control, hill-start assist and electronic brake force distribution to help maximize braking performance.
Both the standard Ecotec 2.4L engine and available 3.6L V-6 in the Equinox feature fuel-saving direct injection and continuously variable valve timing technology. The 2.4L delivers 182 horsepower (136 kW) with a highway fuel consumption rating of 6.1L/100km (on FWD version). E85 FlexFuel capability is available.
The 3.6L is rated at 301 horsepower (225 kW) and 272 lb.-ft. of torque (369 Nm). This new engine uses lightweight components that contribute to the Equinox’s fuel efficiency while boosting its horsepower. An integrated cylinder head/exhaust manifold design saves about 13 pounds compared to a non-integrated design, while a composite intake manifold saves about 5.5 pounds vs. an aluminum intake. Additionally, a lightweight structural front cover and high-strength connecting rods save additional weight.
Vehicles equipped with the V-6 engine have E85 FlexFuel capability.
An efficient six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all models and an “Eco” transmission mode on 2.4L-equipped models alters shift points to improve fuel efficiency.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Equinox is built on a solid structure that includes strategic applications of high-strength steel to protect occupants in the event of a crash. And it is equipped with safety features designed to avoid crashes or protect occupants in the event of one, including:
- Six standard air bags including dual frontal air bags, head curtain side air bags and pelvic/thorax seat-mounted side air bags
- Stardard four-wheel anti-lock disc brakes with Electronic Brake Force Distribution, StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and rollover mitigation.
- Rear-vision camera that helps drivers identify objects behind the vehicle is standard on LTZ and 2LT
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system
- Daytime running lamps make the Equinox more visible to other drivers and to pedestrians
- Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and Rear Park Assist are standard on LTZ and available on 2LT.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Equinox. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Equinox also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.com.
# # #