Chevrolet Camaro, North America’s most popular sports car, extends its momentum with enhancements for the 2012 model year. Highlights include an improved version of its standard 3.6L Direct Injection V-6 engine, a new FE4 performance suspension package for SS coupes and several new interior and technology improvements, such as a revised instrument panel design, new steering wheel and rear camera system.
The enhancements arrive in time for Camaro’s 45th birthday, which will be celebrated with a special 45th Anniversary Special Edition package, offered on Camaro and Camaro SS. Continuing the tradition of Camaro anniversary models, the 45th Anniversary Special Edition carries all the upgrades for 2012, with additional unique design elements, inside and out.
The interior updates include a revised instrument panel appearance, with new instrument graphics and trim, as well as a new steering wheel design and a power lift feature for the front passenger seat. The steering wheel features a fresh new look and ergonomic improvements intended to support performance driving. Also new is a Rear Vision Package, which adds a rearview camera system and an auto-dimming mirror to the existing rear park assist feature. The rearview camera system complements the rear park assist by providing a video display of the area behind the car, with the video image appearing in the car’s inside rearview mirror.
Also coming in early 2012 is the high-performance Camaro ZL1, the most technologically advanced car ever developed in its segment. Check this site for product updates and specifications on the Camaro ZL1 when they become available.
- Three well-equipped models – LS, LT and SS – offer sporty, performance-oriented choices for customers.
- Heritage-inspired interior and exterior convey sportiness through iconic design cues.
- New exterior features include a standard rear spoiler on all models.
- The new 45th Anniversary Special Edition package is available on 2LT and 2SS models. All come standard in Carbon Flash Metallic (black) and include a unique rally stripe in red and silver, with 45th Anniversary graphics on the stripes. Also included are special fender emblems, new 20-inch wheel design in deep silver, unique fog lamps, unique taillamp (bezel finish), standard HID headlamps, body-colour roof moulding and special-trimmed interior.
- New colour: Crystal Red Tintcoat replaces Red Jewel Tintcoat (later availability)
- A well-executed balance of heritage and contemporary features provides a fun and comfortable environment for up to four. An ambient lighting package on 2LT and 2SS trims gives the interior a special glow with LED light pipe technology.
- Revised instrument panel graphics and a new steering wheel distinguish 2012 models.
- The interior elements of the 45th Anniversary Special Edition package – in Jet Black – include leather-trimmed seats with the anniversary logo, white instrument panel and door trim inserts with the anniversary logo, red, white and blue stitching on the seats, and the anniversary logo on the steering wheel and sill plates.
- Two audio systems with simple controls are offered and both include standard XM Satellite Radio for three months. The base MP3/CD radio includes a six-speaker system, a two-line, 32-character reconfigurable display and the capability to select between AM, FM and XM stations without having to reset the frequency. The premium Boston Acoustics nine-speaker/245-watt audio system is available on LT and SS models. All radios include a standard auxiliary input jack for portable devices such as an iPod.
- Bluetooth connectivity for selected, compatible phones keeps drivers’ eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Driver and passenger seats feature six-way adjustable settings (fore/aft, up/down and tilt), with power recline front seats that are standard on LT and SS models. Heated, leather-trimmed seats are part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages.
- Additional comfort and convenience come via the available sunroof and remote vehicle starter on LT and SS models. Head-up display, which projects key instrument, Turn-by-Turn navigation and audio system details on the windshield, is part of the 2LT and 2SS trim packages.
A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 is standard on LS and LT models. It delivers an SAE-certified 323 horsepower (241 kW) at 6,800 rpm – 11 horsepower (8 kW) more than 2011 models. It is also 9.3 kilograms (20.5 pounds) lighter than the previous engine, which enhances efficiency and driving dynamics. And while more powerful than the current 3.6L, the 2012 Camaro 2LS model delivers an estimated fuel consumption rating of 6.6L/100km on the highway. Highlights include:
- New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
- Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
- Longer-duration intake camshafts
- Composite intake manifold
- New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
- New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
- Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
- Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
- Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.
- Two 6.2L V-8 engines are offered in the Camaro SS, including the L99 on automatic-equipped vehicles and the LS3 on manual-equipped models. Horsepower for the L99 is 400 (298 kW) at 5,900 rpm and torque is 410 lb.-ft. (556 Nm) at 4,300 rpm. The LS3 develops 426 horsepower (318 kW) and 420 lb.-ft. (569 Nm). Output on the L99 is lower than the LS3 because of a slightly lower compression ratio (10.4:1 vs. 10.7:1) and design features of the Active Fuel Management system.
- All Camaro models can be equipped with either a six-speed manual or six-speed automatic transmission with TapShift.
- The Aisin AY6 six-speed manual is standard with the 3.6L engine, and a Hydra-Matic 6L50 six-speed automatic is optional.
- A Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual is standard on the SS, and the Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic is optional.
- The SS model’s Tremec TR 6060 six-speed manual is designed to handle the high torque characteristics of the LS3 engine.
- The final drive ratio for LS3 vehicles is 3.45:1.
Camaro chassis and suspension
Camaro features fully independent front and rear suspensions, with the standard independent using a 4.5-link system that includes a unique, L-shaped upper control arm that attaches to the knuckle at one end and incorporates a ride bushing in the rear.
- Three suspension packages are offered: FE2 sport on LS and LT models; FE3 on SS Convertible models or new FE4 performance on SS Coupe models.
- The front suspension has a dual ball strut system, with a direct-acting stabilizer bar.
- A sub-frame at the rear is double-isolated to minimize vehicle body motions and dampen road imperfections.
- Coil-over shock absorbers are used in the rear with a decoupled, hollow stabilizer bar.
- Four-wheel disc brakes are standard on all models – including Brembo four-piston callipers on SS – with hydraulic brake assist.
- Rack-and-pinion steering system with a 16.1:1 ratio on all models.
- Standard StabiliTrak electronic stability control on all models.
- Competitive/sport mode on SS models enhances on-track performance.
- Performance Launch Control on SS models with the manual transmission optimizes hard-acceleration launches for quicker, more consistent performance.
- LS and LT models are equipped with standard 18-inch wheels or optional 19-inch wheels; SS comes with standard 20-inch wheels.
- The new FE4 suspension offers a performance improvement for the Camaro SS coupe. Elements include:
- Retuned front and rear dampers.
- New 23mm solid front (23 mm) and rear (24 mm) stabilizer bars, reshaped and positioned outboard of the shock mounts for more effective body control and more precise response.
- Twenty-inch aluminum wheels and P245/45R20 front/P275/40R20 rear tires.
Camaro safety and crash-avoidance features
The Camaro is designed to help drivers avoid crashes, while protecting occupants in the event a crash occurs.
- New Rear Vision Package, which includes a new rearview camera system to complement the rear park assist feature (standard on 2LT and 2SS; available on 1LT and 1SS).
- Six standard air bags include side curtain air bags, which provide head protection for outboard passengers in the event of a side-impact or rollover crash.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both.
- Standard four-wheel disc brake system featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation.
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly.
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for CHildren) child seat attachment system, which is included in all second-row seating positions.
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models.
- Standard remote keyless entry (RKE) system provides a second function for the red panic button. Drivers can use it to locate their cars without sounding the panic alarm.
- Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants.
OnStar is standard on all Camaro models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- Six months of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all Camaro models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
# # #