CHEVROLET CRUZE ADDS INFOTAINMENT AND SAFETY TECHNOLOGY
The Chevrolet Cruze, Chevrolet’s best-selling passenger car around the world, provides the amenities, quietness, safety features, infotainment and roominess expected of a larger sedan, but with the efficiency and value of a compact car.
For 2013, Chevrolet adds infotainment and safety technologies that bring even more value to Cruze.
They include an Enhanced Safety Package – available on LT+ and LTZ models – that offers crash-avoidance technologies such as Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and rear park assist.
Cruze also adds the Chevrolet MyLink infotainment system that is available with navigation on LT+ and LTZ models. The system incorporates an AM/FM audio system (with CD player and MP3 playback capability and USB port) with GPS-enabled navigation and a seven-inch-diagonal colour touch-screen, new for 2013.
Cruze is available in LS, LT, and LTZ models, as well as a gas-sipping Eco model that, when equipped with a manual transmission, achieves a fuel consumption rating of 4.6L/100km highway, making it the most fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered non-hybrid car in Canada.
Cruze features Chevrolet’s global signature face – a two-tier grille with the gold bowtie logo. An arching roofline connects a steeply raked windshield and fast-sloping rear pillars that provide a sporty, coupe-like proportion.
Prominent headlamp housings wrap around the corners and sweep upward into the fenders and hood. The short rear deck is typically found on sport coupes. Wheels are planted at the corners with minimal front and rear overhangs, which make the car appear longer.
Inside, the twin-cockpit motif is matched with high-quality interior materials and exceptional assembly tolerances. Grained, soft-touch components and low-gloss trim panels exude a level of quality uncommon in the segment.
The instrument panel features richly detailed instruments backlit with light-emitting diode (LED) technology. The integrated centre stack houses the infotainment display, climate controls and radio controls, and blends harmoniously with the instrument panel.
The interior pillar and other mouldings are colour and grain-matched to the headliner, while the seat inserts are colour-matched to the instrument panel accent trim, giving the cabin the detailed appearance of a larger, more upscale sedan.
New exterior colours include Cyber Grey Metallic, Champagne Silver Metallic and Atlantis Blue Metallic.
Cruze standard and available features
All Cruze interiors include premium materials and unexpected standard equipment, including vehicle anti-theft system, USB port, adjustable steering wheel with audio controls, AM/FM stereo system with CD player, MP3 playback capability, six speakers, auxiliary jack for personal playback devices, two power outlets, remote keyless entry and a trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
- The LS+ Cruze includes air conditioning, XM Radio and available carpeted front and rear floor mats and an available Connectivity Package including Bluetooth for select phones, UBS port in the centre console and steering wheel-mounted audio controls.
- The LT Cruze adds a 1.4L turbo engine, cruise control, standard Connectivity Package, and body-colour heated outside rear-view mirrors. Available power sunroof, remote start and premium Pioneer audio system.
- The LT+ Cruze adds six-way power driver seat, standard heated leather seating surfaces, 16” alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel, gear shift knob, available MyLink navigation with touch screen seven-inch colour display system with AM/FM stereo system with CD player and MP3 playback capability, available premium Pioneer nine-speaker audio system, RS Package with 18-inch alloy wheels with four-wheel disc brakes, and rear park assist. Available remote start with the automatic transmission.
- The LTZ Cruze adds automatic climate control, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, uplevel instrument panel with chrome trim rings, driver and front-passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, heated leather seating surfaces, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-colour mirrors, front fog lamps, chrome door handles, 18” alloy wheels, available MyLink audio system with rear vision camera, available MyLink navigation and premium audio and available power sunroof and RS Package.
A sporty RS Appearance Package is available on LT and LTZ models. It includes unique fascias, rocker mouldings, rear spoiler and fog lamps. An uplevel instrument cluster includes chrome accent rings in place of the standard silver finish, and opaque cluster bezels that allow the cluster’s ice blue backlighting to shine through for a sporty nighttime appearance. On the 1LT model, the Z-link rear suspension.
The Enhanced Safety Package is available on LT and LTZ models and includes Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert and rear park assist.
A power, sliding sunroof also is available on LT and LTZ Cruze models.
Chassis and suspension
The Cruze features a strong body structure and chassis system that enabled engineers to more precisely tune the chassis for comfort and driving control. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with traction control, rollover mitigation and anti-lock brakes are standard.
Additional features include a MacPherson strut front suspension and, available on LS, LT, Eco) a rear compound crank suspension, standard on LTZ and LT+ with RS, a rear compound crank suspension with a technically advanced Z-link design. It helps deliver a more balanced driving experience, as the rear suspension better follows the lead of the front suspension.
Rack-mounted electric power steering is standard on all models. It helps with Cruze’s excellent fuel efficiency because it removes the conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories.
Cruze is equipped with a family of 16-, 17- and 18” wheels.
Efficient, proven powertrains
Cruze models sold in North America are equipped with one of two efficient four-cylinder engines and a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. At 4.6L/100km highway, the Cruze Eco with the manual transmission is the most fuel-efficient, gasoline-powered/non-hybrid car in Canada.
Standard on LS models is the 138-horsepower (103 kW) Ecotec 1.8L four-cylinder with continuously variable valve timing that optimizes performance and fuel efficiency across the rpm band. Fuel consumption ratings are 8.2L/100km city and 5.4L/100km highway with the manual transmission and 9.2L/100km city and 5.6L/100km highway with the automatic.
Standard on LT, LTZ and Eco models is an Ecotec 1.4L turbo. Its exhaust-driven turbocharger helps the engine perform like a larger engine when needed, but retains the efficiency of a small-displacement four-cylinder in most driving conditions.
Also rated at 138 horsepower (103kW) with 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), the Ecotec 1.4L turbo enables a cruising range of more than 800 kilometres (500 miles), meaning it can go longer between fill-ups.
Fuel consumption ratings are 7.8L/100km city and 5.2L/100km highway on LT and LTZ, and 7.2L/100km city and 4.6L/100km highway on Eco when equipped with the manual transmission. With the automatic transmission, Cruze Eco highway fuel consumption increases to 5.0L/100km
Backing the Cruze’s four-cylinder engines are six-speed manual and automatic transmissions. Each contributes to Cruze’s excellent fuel consumption.
Cruze is backed by GM’s five-year/160,000-kilometre powertrain warranty – the best coverage in Canada.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Cruze offers more standard safety features than any vehicle in its class, each contributing to Chevrolet’s goal of protecting passengers before, during and after a crash.
Safety begins with a strong, unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection by helping to prevent intrusion into passenger compartment. Underbody main rails extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body in the event of a side-impact crash.
The new, available Enhanced Safety Package includes crash-avoidance technologies such as a rear park assist, Side Blind Zone Alert, Rear Cross-Traffic Alert.
Cruze was the first in its segment to provide 10 standard air bags, including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags. Other safety features include:
- Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system
- Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries
- Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors.
- LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat
- Tire pressure monitoring system, daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps.
- Available four-wheel disc brakes and rear-parking assist on LT+ and LTZ models.
- Strong, unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection. It is used to help prevent intrusion into passenger compartment.
- Underbody main rails that extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body during side-impact crashes.
Six months of OnStar Directions and Connections service is standard on Cruze. OnStar is the global leading provider of connected safety, security and mobility solutions and advanced information technology.
OnStar’s RemoteLink Mobile App allows smartphone users to control vehicle functions, access vehicle information and send directions directly to the vehicle. A new, opt-in service called FamilyLink allows subscribers to stay connected to loved ones by checking the location of their vehicle online or by signing up for vehicle location alerts.
Cruze also features new OnStar button icons. Drivers will notice an updated look for the Hands-Free Calling button, blue OnStar button and red Emergency button.
More information about OnStar can be found at www.onstar.ca/.
# # #