The Chevrolet Cruze – now Chevrolet’s best-selling car around the world – provides the amenities, quietness, safety features, infotainment and roominess expected of a larger, more expensive sedan, but with the efficiency of a compact car.
The only car in its class with 10 standard air bags, the Cruze received an overall five-star safety rating from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration, the highest score possible. The Cruze is available in LS, LT and LTZ trim levels, as well as a gas-sipping Eco model that achieves a fuel consumption rating of 4.6L/100km highway.
Cruze Eco achieves its hybrid-like highway fuel efficiency using a 1.4L Ecotec turbocharged engine, six-speed manual transmission and features that improve its aerodynamics, minimize weight and reduce rolling resistance. Cruze Eco also is available with an automatic transmission, and has a fuel consumption rating of 5.0L/100km on the highway.
A sporty RS appearance package is available on LT and LTZ models. It includes unique fascias, rocker mouldings, rear spoiler and fog lamps. An uplevel instrument cluster is also part of the package and includes chrome accent rings in place of the standard silver finish, as well as opaque cluster bezels that allow the cluster’s ice blue backlighting to shine through for a sporty nighttime appearance.
- Chevrolet’s global signature face – a two-tier grille with the gold bowtie logo.
- Arching roofline connects a steeply raked windshield and fast-sloping rear pillars that provide a sporty, coupe-like proportion.
- Prominent headlamp housings wrap around the corners and sweep upward in the fenders and hood, as well as a short rear deck typically found on sport coupes.
- Wheels are planted at the corners with minimal front and rear overhangs.
- Repeatable gap tolerances of 3 mm or less between most exterior panels mean a better-looking car when new and one that feels solid for years to come.
- Twin-cockpit motif is matched with high-quality interior materials and exceptional assembly tolerances. Grained, soft-touch components and low-gloss trim panels exude a quality that is uncommon in the segment.
- The instrument panel features richly detailed instruments backlit with light-emitting diode (LED) technology.
- Integrated centre stack houses the infotainment display, climate controls and radio controls, and blends harmoniously with the instrument panel.
- The interior pillar and other mouldings are colour and grain-matched to the headliner, while seat inserts are colour-matched to the colour of the instrument panel accent trim, giving the cabin the detailed appearance of a larger, more upscale sedan.
Cruze interior – standard and available features
All Cruze interiors include premium materials and a lengthy roster of unexpected standard equipment, including air conditioning, vehicle anti-theft system, adjustable steering wheel, stereo system that includes MP3 playback capability with six speakers and auxiliary jack for personal playback devices, power outlet and a trial subscription to SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
- The LS Cruze model includes cloth bucket seats, air conditioning, driver information centre, remote keyless entry, power windows with express down on all windows, power door locks,
- The LS+ Cruze includes air conditioning, XM Radio and available carpeted front and rear floor mats and an available Connectivity Package including Bluetooth for select phones, UBS port in the centre console and steering wheel-mounted audio controls.
- The LT Cruze adds a 1.4L turbo engine, cruise control, available Connectivity Package, and body-colour heated outside rear-view mirrors. Available power sunroof, remote start and premium Pioneer audio system.
- The LT+ Cruze adds six-way power driver seat, standard Connectivity Package, 16” alloy wheels, leather-wrapped steering wheel, gear shift knob, available navigation with touch screen seven-inch colour display system with AM/FM stereo system with CD player and MP3 playback capability, available premium Pioneer nine-speaker audio system, RS Package with 18-inch alloy wheels with four-wheel disc brakes, and rear park assist. Available remote start with the automatic transmission.
- The LTZ Cruze adds automatic climate control, auto-dimming inside rearview mirror, uplevel instrument panel with chrome trim rings, driver and front-passenger illuminated vanity mirrors, heated leather seating surfaces, outside heated, power-adjustable, body-colour mirrors, front fog lamps, chrome door handles, 18-inch alloy wheels, available navigation and premium audio and available power sunroof and RS Package.
Chassis and suspension
The Cruze features a strong body structure and chassis system that enabled engineers to more precisely tune the chassis for comfort and driving control. StabiliTrak electronic stability control with traction control is standard. Additional features include:
- A MacPherson strut front suspension.
- A technically advanced Z-link design is used with the rear suspension. It helps delivers a more balanced driving experience, as the rear suspension better follows the lead of the front suspension (not available on Eco with the manual transmission).
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control with rollover mitigation, traction control and anti-lock brakes are standard.
- Rack-mounted electric power steering is also standard on all models, and helps save fuel because it removes the conventional power steering pump from the engine’s driven accessories.
- Hydraulic ride bushings and an isolated engine cradle reduce or eliminate vibration pathways that could otherwise be transmitted to the passenger compartment.
- Family of 16-, 17- and 18-inch wheels and tires.
- Noise-reducing and noise-cancelling technologies are employed throughout the body structure, including 30 distinctive acoustical treatments (not available on Eco with the manual transmission)
Efficient, proven powertrains
- Cruze models sold in North America are equipped with one of two efficient four-cylinder engines and a choice of six-speed manual or automatic transmissions. At 4.6L/100km highway, the Cruze Eco with the manual transmission is one of the most fuel-efficient, gas-powered/non-hybrid car in North America.
- Standard on LS models is the 138-horsepower (103 kW) Ecotec 1.8L four-cylinder with valve timing that optimizes performance and fuel efficiency across the rpm band. Fuel consumption ratings are 8.2L/100km city and 5.4L/100km highway with the manual transmission and 9.2L/100km city and 5.6L/100km highway with the automatic.
- Standard on LT, LTZ and Eco models is an Ecotec 1.4L turbo. Its exhaust-driven turbocharger helps the engine perform like a larger engine when needed, but retains the efficiency of a small-displacement four-cylinder in most driving conditions.
- Also rated at 138 horsepower (103kW) with 148 lb.-ft. of torque (200 Nm), the Ecotec 1.4L turbo has a fuel consumption rating of 7.8L/100km city and 5.2L/100km highway on LT and 7.2L/100km city and 4.6L/100km highway on Eco when equipped with the manual transmission. With the automatic transmission, Cruze Eco has a fuel consumption rating of 5.0L/100km highway.
- Backing the Cruze’s four-cylinder engines are six-speed manual and automatic transmissions. Each contributes to Cruze’s excellent fuel efficiency.
- Cruze is backed by GM’s five-year/160,000 kilometre powertrain warranty – the best coverage in Canada.
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Cruze offers more standard safety features than any vehicle in its class, each contributing to Chevrolet’s goal of protecting passengers before, during and after a crash.
- Only car in its segment with 10 standard air bags, including frontal driver and passenger air bags, roof rail-mounted head curtain side air bags that help protect the front and outboard rear seating positions; seat-mounted side-impact air bags (front and rear); and front knee air bags.
- Front passenger seat occupant sensing system and rollover sensing and protection system.
- Collapsible pedal assembly to help protect against lower-extremity injuries.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control, traction control and anti-lock brakes.
- Three-point safety belts in all five seating positions, safety belt retractor pretensioners and lap pretensioners in the driver and front-passenger positions, and safety belt load limiters (with pretensioners) in the front safety belt retractors.
- LATCH child seat latching system in the rear seat.
- Daytime running lamps and automatic headlamps.
- Four-wheel disc brakes and rear-parking assist on 2LT and LTZ models.
- Strong, unitized body structure that incorporates high-strength steel (HSS) in key areas to enhance strength and crash protection. It is used to help prevent intrusion into passenger compartment.
- Underbody main rails that extend from the front of the structure all the way to the rear, further enhancing the body’s strength and stiffness. A cross-structure beam behind the instrument panel supports the body during side-impact crashes.
All Cruze models are equipped with standard OnStar 9.0 that includes Automatic Crash Response, hands-free calling, vehicle diagnostics, emergency service support, Directions and Connections plan for hands-free route guidance, and Injury Severity Prediction for six months. This feature helps OnStar advisors alert first responders when a vehicle crash is likely to have caused serious injury to the occupants.
- The Advanced Crash Response System uses vehicle sensors, GPS and digital cellular phone technology to summon emergency responders in the event of a moderate to severe crash, even when the vehicle’s occupants are unable to do so.
- Directions and Connections technology provides voice-activated route guidance support and eNav service that allows drivers to keep their eyes on the road and hands on the wheel.
- Stolen Vehicle Location capability helps law enforcement officials find a subscriber’s vehicle in the event it is stolen.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology allows an OnStar advisor to remotely cut off power to a stolen vehicle in the event it is involved in a police chase.
- OnStar 9.0 technology offers improved voice recognition capabilities for regional phrases and dialects.
- OnStar Mylink mobile application
# # #