Cadillac CTS Sport Wagon is a progressive take on the classic American wagon body that delivers style, function and efficiency – including a fuel consumption rating of 7.7L/100km on the highway. It is a unique vehicle intended to connect with the evolving priorities of luxury consumers.
Continuous improvements have helped keep the CTS family – Sedan, Coupe, Wagon and V-Series – at the top of customer consideration lists and earn critical praise, including a spot on Car and Driver’s 10 Best list, Popular Mechanics’ Auto Excellence Awards and Automobile Magazine’s All-Star list. That legacy continues in 2012, as the CTS Sport Wagon receives a lighter and more powerful version of the 3.6L V-6 with direct injection and continuously variable valve timing, a new version of its distinctive shield-shaped grille, new exterior colours and a new Touring Package edition.
The new 3.6L V-6 has an estimated fuel consumption rating of 11.7L/100km in the city and 7.7L/100km on the highway, despite delivering about 5-per cent more horsepower – 318 horsepower (237 kW) vs. 304 horsepower (227 kW) in 2011.
CTS Sport Wagon is offered in 3.0L V-6 models, in Base and Luxury Collections, and 3.6L V-6 models, in Performance and Premium Collections. All are available in rear-wheel-drive or all-wheel-drive models. The new Touring Package edition is available on Luxury and Premium. Highlights include:
- Eighteen-inch painted pearl nickel alloy wheels on Luxury
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels on Premium
- Microfibre suede-trimmed steering wheel rim and shift knob
- Chrome door handles
- Sport alloy pedals
- Sport grille and V-Series centre brake light
- Midnight Sapele wood trim package
- Recaro performance seats on Premium
- Available microfibre suede seat inserts in Ebony or Light Titanium.
All the new features and revisions for 2012 are shared across the CTS range. Please see separate releases for CTS Coupe and CTS Sedan. Also see the separate release for CTS-V Wagon.
CTS Sport Wagon design
The CTS Sport Wagon is essentially the same size as the CTS Sedan on the outside, but its unique cargo compartment nearly doubles carrying capacity, with 25 cubic feet (720 litres) of space behind the rear seats; and 58 cubic feet (1.644 litres) with the rear seat folded. Design highlights include:
- Signature V-shaped deck and tailgate motif
- Large, vertical taillamps with light-pipe technology
- Power-opening liftgate (via key fob or in-vehicle button)
- CHMSL-integrated roof spoiler
- Integrated roof load management system with cross bars for a seamless appearance
- Cargo management system with adjustable in-floor containment
- Large available panoramic rear sunroof.
The CTS’s distinctive shield-shaped front grille has been redesigned for 2012 with new premium finishes that highlight the intricacies of a new frame and mesh combination. The Wreath & Crest logo also has sharper colours and raised ridges between the colours, giving it a three-dimensional quality.
Additional standard and available exterior features include:
- High-intensity discharge headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting System are standard on Performance and Premium and available on Luxury.
- Halogen headlamps with windshield wiper-activated Twilight Sentinel feature are standard on Base and Luxury.
- Fog lamps are standard on Performance and Premium and available on Luxury.
- Power liftgate is standard on all models.
- Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors are standard on all models.
- Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard on Premium and available on Luxury and Performance.
- Seventeen-inch premium painted aluminum wheels are standard on Base and Luxury.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum high-polish wheels are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels with multi-coat painted finish are standard on Performance.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels with pearl nickel finish are available on Luxury with new Touring Package.
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels are available on Performance and Premium.
- Exterior colours include: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Black Diamond Tricoat, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Thunder Grey ChromaFlair, Opulent Blue Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic (late availability).
CTS Sport Wagon interior
The interior of the CTS emphasizes technical precision with hand-crafted details. An integrated centre stack design – with a satin metallic finish – blends into the lower instrument panel that sweeps forward and away from front-seat occupants.
Available heated and ventilated seats incorporate “thin-seat” technology for maximum occupant comfort and enhanced rear-seat leg, knee and foot room. French stitching is used throughout the interior, including the upper instrument panel, door inserts, seats and the shifter boot.
Standard and available features include:
- Audio system with navigation, including AM/FM stereo, CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound with 10 speakers, 40-gig hard drive and USB with audio connectivity is standard on Premium and available on Luxury and Performance.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service is standard on all models.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on all models.
- Driver information centre is standard on all models.
- Keyless entry and keyless start features are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Ambient lighting package is standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Auto-dimming inside mirror with OnStar controls is standard on all models.
- Ultrasonic rear park assist is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Rearview camera system is standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Remote vehicle start is standard on Luxury, Performance and Premium.
- Front bucket seats with power eight-way driver’s adjustment and articulating head restraints are standard on all models.
- Heated front seats are standard on Luxury and Performance.
- Heated and cooled front seats are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Recaro performance seats are included with Premium when equipped with the new Touring Package.
- Steering column with power-adjustable rake and telescopic feature is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel is standard on Base and Performance.
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel with wood trim is standard on Luxury and Premium and available on Performance.
- Heated steering wheel is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Steering wheel-mounted controls for audio, cruise and Bluetooth systems are standard on all models.
- UltraView power sunroof is standard on Premium and available on all other models.
- Wood trim packages with Sapele wood accents are standard on Premium and available on Luxury and Performance.
- Interior colour and trim choices include: Ebony seats with Ebony trim, Light Titanium seat with Ebony trim, Cashmere seats with Cocoa trim, Ebony seats with Ebony microfibre suede inserts (Touring Package only) and Light Titanium seats with Light Titanium microfibre suede inserts (Touring Package only).
CTS Sport Wagon powertrain
A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 is standard on Performance and Premium models. It delivers an SAE-certified 318 horsepower (237 kW). It is also 9.3 kilograms (20.5 lbs) lighter than the previous engine, which enhances efficiency and driving dynamics. Highlights include:
- New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
- Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
- Longer-duration intake camshafts
- Composite intake manifold
- New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
- New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
- Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
- Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
- Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.
A 3.0L DI V-6 is the standard engine in Base and Luxury models and is rated at 270 horsepower (201 kW). Along with direct injection technology, the 3.0L engine employs continuously variable valve timing to optimize power and fuel efficiency and reduce emissions. Highway fuel consumption on 3.0L-equipped rear-wheel drive models is 7.2L/100km.
Direct injection (DI) technology – which is also employed on the 3.6L – enables a balance of performance and fuel consumption, delivering fuel more precisely to increase the efficiency of combustion. This means less fuel is consumed and fewer emissions created; it also reduces cold-start emissions by up to 25 per cent.
The Hydra-Matic 6L45 six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all CTS Sport Wagon RWD models. The 6L50 six-speed is featured on AWD models.
CTS Sport Wagon chassis and suspension
The CTS chassis enables a great balance of performance and luxury. The hardware includes structural enhancements via a tower-to-tower brace; large, four-wheel disc brakes and a ZF steering rack. Four suspension tuning packages are available: base, performance (standard on 3.6L models and optional on 3.0L models), 19-inch performance all-season and the summer tire performance package with a summer-only 19-inch tire (RWD only).
Suspension tuning for the CTS Sport Wagon is different than Sedan and Coupe models, with larger-diameter stabilizer bars and specific spring rates. The Performance suspension is available on Performance and Premium trim levels with RWD. Its contents include 19-inch aluminum wheels and summer tires, rear load leveling and speed-sensitive variable-assist steering.
Additional features and details include:
- An independent short/long arm (SLA) front suspension system is standard on all models, featuring low-mass aluminum for the upper and lower control arms, as well as the knuckles.
- A multi-link rear suspension with a fully isolated subframe is standard on all models.
- StabiliTrak electronic chassis control system is standard. It is integrated with the car’s standard four-channel ABS with the full-function traction control, as well as the hydraulic brake assist and engine control systems.
- Power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering is standard.
- Performance Package (Summer Tire) is available on Performance and Premium trim levels and includes 19-inch wheels and Y-rated tires, HID headlamps, steering wheel-mounted paddle-shift control, fog lamps, performance cooling system, sport performance suspension, limited-slip differential and performance brakes.
- Performance Package (All-Season Tire) is standard on Performance and Premium and available on Luxury with the Touring Package. Content includes 18-inch wheels and V-rated tires, HID headlamps and sport performance suspension.
CTS Sport Wagon safety and crash-avoidance features
CTS Sport Wagon is designed to enhance Cadillac’s reputation for providing safe occupant environments in luxury vehicles. Standard and available features include:
- Dual-stage driver front air bag.
- Segment-first dual depth front passenger air bag.
- Driver and front passenger side seat-mounted pelvic/thorax side air bags.
- Roof-rail side curtain air bags with rollover protection technology that cover front and rear seating rows.
- Front safety belt pretensioners.
- Tire pressure monitoring system.
- Body structure with strategically placed high-strength steel.
- Active head restraints for front seat occupants.
- Ultrasonic rear parking assist.
- Rearview camera system.
OnStar is standard on all CTS Sport Wagon models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- One year of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all CTS models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
- myCadillac and OnStar myLink mobile apps offer vehicle information and OnStar services via the customer’s smartphone.
# # #