Cadillac CTS Coupe is a dramatic, 2+2 sports coupe with a design transferred virtually unchanged from the concept vehicle that inspired it. It joined the CTS lineup in 2011, rounding out a range of models and body styles that includes Sedan, Wagon and high-performance V-Series.
Continuous improvements have helped keep the CTS family at the top of customer consideration lists and earn critical praise, including a spot on Car and Driver’s 10 Best list, Popular Mechanics’ Auto Excellence Awards, Automobile Magazine’s All-Star list and AJAC’s Best New Sports/Performance Car over $50,000 for the V-Series. That legacy continues in 2012, as the CTS Coupe receives a lighter and more powerful version of the 3.6L V-6 with direct injection and continuously variable valve timing, a new version of its distinctive shield-shaped grille, side blind zone alert, new exterior colours and a new Touring Package edition.
From a fuel efficiency standpoint, the new 3.6L V-6 has an estimated fuel consumption rating of 11.4L/100km in the city and 6.8L/100km on the highway, despite delivering about 5-per cent more horsepower – 318 horsepower (237 kW) vs. 304 horsepower (227 kW) in 2011.
CTS Coupe is offered in Base, Performance and Premium Collections, all powered by the 3.6L engine and available in rear-wheel drive or all-wheel drive. The new Touring Package edition is available on the Premium collection. Highlights include:
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels
- Microfibre suede-trimmed steering wheel rim and shift knob
- Sport alloy pedals
- Sport grille and V-Series centre brake light
- Midnight Sapele wood trim package
- Recaro performance seats
- Available microfibre suede seat inserts in Ebony or Light Titanium.
All the new features and revisions for 2012 are shared across the CTS range. Please see separate releases for CTS Wagon and CTS Sedan. Also see the separate release for CTS-V Coupe.
CTS Coupe design
The CTS Coupe has the same wheelbase as the CTS Sedan, but an overall height that is approximately two inches (51 mm) lower and an overall length that is two inches (51 mm) shorter. And while it is based on the same architecture, the CTS Coupe shares only the instrument panel, console, headlamps, front fenders and grille with its Sedan sibling. Its distinctive features include:
- Classic hardtop styling, with no conventional B-pillar
- Touch-pad operation for the doors removes the need for conventional door handles, creating a technical, clean profile
- A windshield laid at a faster angle (62.3 degrees) and a long, nearly horizontal backglass area combine to create a dramatic profile
- Sculpted lower front fascia with unique brake-cooling vents
- Rear fascia with mesh lower grilles
- Centre-outlet exhaust with twin dihedral-shaped tips that pass through the rear fascia
- Signature vertical lighting, highlighted with LED light pipes
- Rear spoiler integrated into the signature centre high-mounted stop lamp
- Sculpted roof-mounted antenna for OnStar and SiriusXM Satellite Radio.
The CTS’s distinctive shield-shaped front grille has been redesigned for 2012 with new premium finishes that highlight the intricacies of a new frame and mesh combination. The Wreath & Crest logo also has sharper colours and raised ridges between the colours, giving it a three-dimensional quality.
Additional standard and available exterior features include:
- High-intensity discharge headlamps with Adaptive Forward Lighting System are standard on Performance and Premium Collections.
- Halogen headlamps with windshield wiper-activated Twilight Sentinel feature are standard on the Base model.
- Fog lamps are standard on Performance and Premium.
- Heated and power-adjustable outside mirrors are standard on all models.
- Rainsense automatic windshield wipers are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum wheels with multi-coat painted finish are standard on the Base model.
- Eighteen-inch aluminum high-polish wheels are standard on Performance and Premium.
- Nineteen-inch polished aluminum wheels are available on Performance and Premium RWD models.
- Exterior colours include: Radiant Silver Metallic, Black Raven, Black Diamond Tricoat, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Thunder Grey ChromaFlair, Opulent Blue Metallic and Mocha Steel Metallic (late availability).
CTS Coupe interior
The interior of the CTS Coupe emphasizes technical precision with hand-crafted details. An integrated centre stack design – with a satin metallic finish – blends into the lower instrument panel that sweeps forward and away from front-seat occupants.
Available heated and ventilated seats incorporate “thin-seat” technology for maximum occupant comfort and enhanced rear-seat leg, knee and foot room. French stitching is used throughout the interior, including the upper instrument panel, door inserts, seats and the shifter boot.
Standard and available features include:
- Audio system with navigation, including AM/FM stereo, CD/DVD player, MP3 playback, Bose 5.1 Cabin Surround Sound with 10 speakers, 40-gig hard drive and USB with audio connectivity is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- SiriusXM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service is standard on all models.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity is standard on all models.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is standard on all models.
- Driver information centre is standard on all models.
- Keyless entry and keyless start features are standard on all models.
- Ambient lighting package is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Auto-dimming inside mirror with OnStar controls is standard on all models.
- Ultrasonic rear park assist is standard on all models.
- Rearview camera system is standard Performance and Premium.
- Side blind zone alert is standard on Performance and Premium.
- Remote vehicle start is standard on Performance and Premium.
- Front bucket seats with power eight-way driver and passenger adjustment and articulating head restraints are standard on all models.
- Heated front seats are standard on Performance and Premium.
- Heated and cooled front seats are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Recaro performance seats are included with Premium when equipped with the new Touring Package.
- Steering column with power-adjustable rake and telescopic feature is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Leather-trimmed steering wheel with wood trim is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Heated steering wheel is standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Steering wheel-mounted controls for audio, cruise and Bluetooth systems are standard on all trim levels.
- Power sunroof is available on Performance and Premium.
- Wood trim packages with Sapele wood accents are standard on Premium and available on Performance.
- Interior colour and trim choices include: Ebony seats with Ebony trim, Light Titanium seat with Ebony trim, Cashmere seats with Cocoa trim, Ebony seats with Ebony microfibre suede inserts (Touring Package only) and Light Titanium seats with Light Titanium microfibre suede inserts (Touring Package only).
CTS Coupe powertrain
A new, more powerful and more efficient version of the 3.6L direct-injected V-6 is standard on all CTS Coupe models. It delivers an SAE-certified 318 horsepower (237 kW). It is also 9.3 kilograms (20.5 lbs) lighter than the previous engine, which enhances efficiency and driving dynamics. Highlights include:
- New cylinder head design with integrated exhaust manifold
- Improved intake port design and larger intake valves within the cylinder heads
- Longer-duration intake camshafts
- Composite intake manifold
- New fuel pump and isolated fuel rail
- New, optimized-flow fuel injectors
- Structural front cover and cylinder block enhancements
- Stronger and lighter-weight connecting rods
- Camshaft cap and throttle body design enhancements.
Direct injection technology enables a balance of performance and fuel consumption, delivering fuel more precisely to increase the efficiency of combustion. This means less fuel is consumed and fewer emissions created; it also reduces cold-start emissions by up to 25 per cent.
The Hydra-Matic 6L45 six-speed automatic transmission is standard on all CTS Coupe RWD models. The Hydra-Matic 6L50 is used with AWD models.
CTS Coupe chassis and suspension
The CTS chassis enables a great balance of performance and luxury. The hardware includes structural enhancements via a tower-to-tower brace; large, four-wheel disc brakes and a ZF steering rack. Two suspension tuning packages are available: Sport and Performance.
The Sport suspension is standard on all models and the Performance suspension is available on Performance and Premium trim levels with RWD. Its contents include 19-inch aluminum wheels and summer tires, rear load leveling and speed-sensitive variable-assist steering.
Suspension tuning for the CTS Coupe is different from Sedan and Wagon models, with specific stabilizer bar diameters and spring rates. Additional features and details include:
- An independent short/long arm (SLA) front suspension system, featuring low-mass aluminum for the upper and lower control arms, as well as the knuckles.
- A multi-link rear suspension with a fully isolated subframe.
- StabiliTrak electronic chassis control system is standard. It is integrated with the car’s standard four-channel ABS with the full-function traction control, as well as the hydraulic brake assist and engine control systems.
- A power-assisted rack-and-pinion steering system.
- Four-wheel disc brakes with four-channel ABS.
- CTS Coupe safety and crash-avoidance features
CTS is designed to enhance Cadillac’s reputation for providing safe occupant environments in luxury vehicles. Standard and available features include:
- Dual-stage driver front air bag.
- Segment-first dual depth front passenger air bag.
- Driver and front passenger side seat-mounted pelvic/thorax side air bags.
- Roof-rail side curtain air bags with rollover protection technology that cover front and rear seating rows.
- Front safety belt pretensioners.
- Tire pressure monitoring system.
- Body structure with strategically placed high-strength steel.
- Active head restraints for front seat occupants.
- Ultrasonic rear parking assist.
- Side blind zone alert.
- Rearview camera system.
OnStar is standard on all CTS Coupe models. It uses GPS and cellular phone technology to automatically call for help in the event of crash. OnStar subscribers also can use the service to be Good Samaritans by sending help to other motorists, and to call for help in other non-crash emergencies.
- OnStar is the leading provider of in-vehicle safety, security and information services in the United States and Canada.
- One year of complimentary OnStar Directions and Connections service with Turn-by-Turn Navigation for easier route guidance on all CTS models. The feature is easy to use because all directions are sent to the car by an advisor, without the need to stop. Turn-by-Turn can be cost-effective, since map updates and aftermarket navigation systems are not needed.
- Stolen Vehicle Assistance helps police track the vehicle.
- myCadillac and OnStar myLink mobile apps offer vehicle information and OnStar services via the customer’s smartphone.
# # #