The all-new, 2012 Regal GS blends a 270-horsepower (201 kW) high-output Ecotec 2.0L turbo engine, six-speed manual transmission, responsive Interactive Drive Control suspension technology with exclusive GS-mode, Brembo front callipers and other features into one of Buick’s most balanced performance sedans ever.
The torque from Regal GS’s exclusive Ecotec 2.0L high-output turbocharged engine provides more launch force than the Acura TSX V-6, Audi A4 Sport, Lexus IS 250 and 350, Infiniti G25 and G37, and Volvo S60. It also delivers the highest specific output of any production engine GM has ever offered, and at 135 horsepower per litre, it is the most power-dense engine ever certified by the Society of Automotive Engineers.
Buick’s exclusive Interactive Drive Control System is standard on the Regal GS, and allows drivers to choose from three operating modes – Standard, Sport and GS Mode – that change the suspension settings and steering sensitivity according to driver preferences. Regal GS also features a four-wheel independent suspension with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPer Strut) front suspension design that reduces torque steer and improves grip and cornering power.
A lower ride height, 19-inch, 5-Twin Spoke alloy wheels (20-inch, 5-Twin Spoke polished alloy wheels with summer-rated performance tires are available) and four-piston Brembo front callipers also contribute to the GS’ performance persona.
Regal GS design
- Unique body-colour front and rear fascias, with the front fascia incorporating prominent, vertical air intake slots accented in a satin-metallic finish.
- Rear fascia has a pair of integrated, satin-metallic trapezoidal exhaust outlets.
- Rocker panel extensions and a rear spoiler.
- Slightly lower ride height than other Regal models for a sportier stance.
- Aggressive-looking, 19-inch, 5-Twin Spoke alloy wheels and all-season tires (20-inch, 5-Twin Spoke polished alloy wheels with summer-rated performance tires are optional).
- GS-specific ebony interior.
- Satin-finish elements on the instrument panel, steering wheel and console.
- Instrument panel glows white when the driver engages the GS Mode of the Interactive Drive Control System (IDCS).
Regal GS interior – standard and available features
- Passive keyless entry with push-button start.
- Standard XM Satellite Radio with three-month trial service.
- harman/kardon premium 336-watt, 5.1 Matrix Surround Sound system with nine speakers.
- Bluetooth phone connectivity.
- Leather-wrapped, flat-bottom sport steering wheel with audio controls and metal sport pedals.
- Leather-appointed sport seating.
- Heated driver and front passenger seats, with 12-way adjustable driver and front passenger seats – including four-way lumbar adjustment.
- Power centre, 120-volt with 3-prong household outlet (150 watts).
- Power windows with express up/down feature in the front and express down in the rear.
- Front and rear ultrasonic parking assist.
- Bi-Xenon HID headlamps with flash-to-pass feature, auto on/off, auto delay, warning buzzer.
- Buick IntelliLink uses Bluetooth or USB to connect the driver’s smart phone to a new high-resolution, full-colour seven-inch touch screen display radio. IntelliLink expands on Buick’s current Bluetooth and USB capabilities to allow smart phone control via voice activation and steering wheel-mounted controls. It also enables streaming stereo audio from the phone through Stitcher SmartRadio®.
- IntelliLink complements the safety, security and connectivity services of OnStar, also standard on all Regal models. With a simple button touch, voice command or via a downloadable smartphone app, OnStar RemoteLink, Regal owners can access popular OnStar services such as Turn-by-Turn navigation and Destination Download, hands-free calling, remote door unlock, vehicle diagnostics, emergency assistance and much more.
Other available features:
- Power tilt-sliding sunroof with sunshade.
- In dash navigation and audio system with seven-inch colour touch screen display, multi-function controller.
Chassis and suspension
The Regal GS rides on a wheelbase of 107.8 inches (2738 mm) that delivers refined, well-balanced vehicle dynamics. It also features a four-wheel-independent suspension, with a unique High Performance Strut (HiPer Strut) front suspension design.
Drivers may choose more aggressive, performance-oriented damping characteristics through the standard Interactive Drive Control System.
- Four-wheel-independent suspension, with a unique HiPer Strut front suspension design.
- Ride height lowered 10 mm, and spring and stabilizer bar rates raised by 20 per cent for more responsive handling.
- HiPer Strut system helps reduce torque steer, improve grip and maintain negative camber during cornering.
- Four-link independent rear suspension is designed to minimize unwanted toe and camber effects.
- Both front and rear dampers incorporate active Computer Damping Control (CDC), continuously changing damper characteristics’ to maintain optimal vehicle ride control over varying road surfaces and profiles.
- Four-wheel disc brake system with Brembo four-piston front callipers, larger ventilated front discs and high performance linings.
- Electronic parking brake actuated via a centre console-mounted control.
- Standard StabiliTrak stability control system with integrated, full-function traction control.
Interactive Drive Control System
The Regal GS is equipped with the Interactive Drive Control System, which adapts damping and other driving functions to drivers’ preferences. While the Regal Turbo offers Interactive Drive Control with the choice of a standard adaptive setting, a more comfortable Tour mode and a Sport mode, the system in the Regal GS is deliberately tuned for those who enjoy a higher level of performance:
- Standard: Delivers ideal all-round performance, while maintaining comfort characteristics for everyday driving.
- Sport: Features a firmer level of suspension damping and reduces body roll for more agility.
- GS: Readies the car for dynamic, enthusiast-level driving. Increased steering efforts provide more direct feedback to the driver, while increased damping levels ensure ultimate wheel control and reduced body roll for ultimate agility. Only the GS mode will alter the shift feel on an automatic transmission.
Efficient, proven powertrain
- High-output Ecotec 2.0L turbocharged DOHC VVT engine with direct-injection technology provides acceleration of a V-6 with the fuel efficiency of a four-cylinder. The highway fuel consumption rating is 6.2L/100km with the standard six-speed manual and available six-speed automatic.
- Output rated at 270 horsepower (201 kW) and 295 lb.-ft. of torque (400 Nm). Peak torque is achieved at a relatively low 2400 rpm; 95 per cent of peak torque is available between 2,300 and 4,900 rpm.
- Highest specific output of any GM production engine, and at 135 horsepower per litre, the most power-dense engine certified by SAE.
- Three-inch-diameter exhaust system provides reduced back pressure for higher engine power.
- Standard six-speed manual transmission.
- Available six-speed Aisin Warner automatic with Driver Shift Control
Safety and crash-avoidance features
Regal GS offers standard and available safety features designed to protect occupants before, during and after a crash. Safety-enhancing features include:
- Eight standard air bags including dual-stage frontal and side-impact air bags, rear-seat thorax side-impact air bags and head curtain side-impact air bags.
- Three-point safety belts in all seating positions and air bag passenger sensing system to detect the presence of a small adult or child in the front passenger seat.
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control to help drivers maintain vehicle control in certain driving situations, and help mitigate rollover crashes.
- Four-wheel anti-lock brakes with brake assist and traction control.
- Daytime running lamps for improved visibility to other vehicles as well as pedestrians.
- LATCH system for safe and secure attachment of child safety seats.
- Standard ultrasonic front and rear parking assist with audible warning.
- Standard tire pressure monitoring system.
Regal GS is equipped with segment-exclusive OnStar technology, which includes the Advanced Crash Response System, emergency assistance, remote vehicle diagnostics, six months of the Directions and Connections plan for route guidance support and OnStar RemoteLink®.
OnStar RemoteLink® allows Regal owners with certain smartphones to download an app to start the vehicle remotely, as well as display information on the fuel tank's level and range, the remaining oil life, current and recommended tire pressure, and lifetime average miles per gallon. In addition users can access the current odometer reading, vehicle ID (VIN) and OnStar account number, plus call a dedicated representative for advice or assistance.
Other OnStar services:
The Advanced Crash Response System uses vehicle sensors, GPS and digital cellular phone technology to summon emergency responders to a crash scene even when the vehicle’s occupants are unable to do so.
- Stolen Vehicle Location capability helps law enforcement officials find subscribers’ vehicle in the event they are stolen.
- Stolen Vehicle Slowdown technology allows an OnStar advisor to remotely cut off power to the vehicle in the event of a police chase.
- OnStar 9.0 technology offers improved voice recognition capabilities for regional phrases and dialects.
# # #