The Holden Volt is not a hybrid. It is a one-of-a-kind, all-electrically driven vehicle designed and engineered to operate in all climates, with a range of over 600 kilometres (depending on conditions).
Powered by GM’s revolutionary Voltec propulsion system, it has a 16.5kWh lithium-ion battery pack and an electric drive unit that provide a pure electric range of up to 87 kilometres, depending on terrain, driving techniques and temperature.
A 1.4 litre petrol generator extends the range by operating the car’s electric drive system until it can be plugged in and recharged or refuelled. This distinguishes the Volt from electric-only vehicles, which cannot be operated when recharging is not immediately available.
The battery and propulsion systems are sized so that when sufficient energy is available from the battery, the generator is not required for operation. During electric-only phase, the battery, motor, and power electronics are designed to deliver full performance, acceleration, top speed and hill climbing on electric power alone.
Every major element of the Holden Volt is designed for efficiency, including its aerodynamic exterior, lightweight wheels, low rolling resistance tyres, even the energy-saving premium stereo system.
A full list of Volt dealers can be found at the HoldenHQ blog or via the Holden dealer locator.
The Holden Volt doesn’t require specialised recharging infrastructure as it can be recharged from a standard household outlet and charging is a simple plug-in process.
Volt comes equipped with a 6 metre charging cord, stowed in the cargo area. Its lithium-ion battery can be fully charged in less than six hours from a standard 240-volt 10A household power point. Charging time from a 240-volt 6A point is less than ten hours.
The charge cord pack is equipped with LED status indicators that illuminate green or flashing red to identify status. When all indicators are green, the vehicle can be charged. If any are flashing red, the charge cord will not permit vehicle charging due to the voltage being out of range or the electrical outlet not having a proper safety ground.
For more rapid charging options, Better Place is Holden’s preferred partner for the delivery of faster-charging and renewable energy solutions.
The company has developed membership packages for Volt customers and assists in the installation of higher-speed (under 4-hour charge time/15A) ‘Charge Spots’ at homes and workplaces.
This faster charge option is aimed at fleet customers who prefer to run their vehicles predominantly on an initial battery charge.
Zero-emissions chargingis provided through the purchase of renewable energy or 100 per cent Government certified renewable energy certificates.
Capped Price Servicing of $185 is offered on Volt’s first four standard scheduled log book
services for the first three years or 60,000km, whichever comes first.
An eight year/ 160,000 kilometre transferrable warranty covers Volt battery and Voltec components. Included are all 161 battery components, charging and thermal-management systems and electric drive system components.
This is supported by a three year/ 100,000 kilometre warranty on the vehicle.
Holden Volt Specification and Feature Highlights:
Volt is powered by GM’s revolutionary electric propulsion system; it consists of a 16.5-kWh lithium-ion battery pack and electric drive unit that provide a pure electric range of up to 87 kilometres depending on driving conditions. A 1.4 litre petrol-powered generator extends the range by maintaining a charge in the battery to power the wheels until the car can be recharged, giving a total range of over 600 kilometres depending on conditions.
Drivers can choose from three driving modes – normal, sport and hold. Sport mode is designed to give the driver maximum driving enjoyment through heightened response times and sports feedback. Alternatively the driver can select hold mode, which conserves the power in the battery and maintains an electric charge from the petrol generator.
Engine and Transmission
- Electric drive unit which incorporates automatic transmission – electronic ratio select
- 1.4 litre DOHC petrol 4-cylinder engine
- Battery - 16.5-kWh lithium-ion rechargeable energy storage system; includes liquid thermal management system with active control
- Output 111kW @ 5000rpm (est)
- Electric drive – 370Nm motoring torque
Volt’s cockpit design creates a unique driving experience. The touch sensitive centre stack houses a 7-inch LCD colour touch screen which relays real-time information on energy use and power flow to the driver. It offers the driver efficiency feedback based on driving style and climate settings and will even give tips on how to reduce energy usage.
Voice recognition allows voice control on certain Bluetooth® radio, audio system and navigation functions, including selecting radio stations, audio tracks, navigation settings and preset destinations.
- Bluetooth® with voice recognition
- Cruise control
- Touch screen satellite navigation
- Steering wheel height and reach adjust
- Automatic headlights
- Instruments – dimmable
- Headlamp – levelling control (manual)
- Front and rear park assist
- Rear view camera
- 7-inch reconfigurable instrument cluster display, featuring:
- Average fuel consumption
- Driving range – electric, petrol and total
- Electronic speedometer
- Feedback on driver usage and habits
- Trip computer
- Tyre pressure monitoring system
- 7-inch colour LCD touch-screen showing: - Audio information
- Air conditioning information
- Outside temperature
- Time and date
- Vehicle personalisation settings
- Energy flow
- Configurable charge options
- Drive efficiency information
- Multifunction steering wheel controls with illumination, featuring:
- Cruise control
- Audio System
- Forward collision alerts and lane departure warning
- Charge cord set
- Electrochromatic inside rear view mirror (light sensitive)
- Passive entry and start with sensor key technology
- Electronic climate control
- Leather sports seats (front heated)
- DVD playback with MP3 compatibility, in dash CD, radio and MP3 ‘plug and play’ functionality
- USB input with iPod® compatibility
- DVD player (plays on screen when stationary)
- 6 speaker premium audio system (Bose®) with amplifier and sub woofer
Volt’s designers focused on aerodynamic styling but aesthetics haven’t been compromised to deliver on performance. Vertical blades running from the spoiler to the bumper trick the air, creating an extremely low drag coefficient of 0.28.
Volt exterior design highlights include:
- 17-inch alloy wheels (4)
- Integrated rear spoiler
- Projector headlights
- LED daytime running lamps
- Side mirror turning signals
Volt is available in five exterior colours:
- White Diamond
- Nitrate Silver
- Urban Fresh
- Crystal Claret
Holden Volt offers a comprehensive range of safety features including Forward Collision Alert, Lane Departure Warning and eight airbags.
- Airbags – Dual front, front seat side and curtain airbags, left and right hand front knee
- Electronic Stability Control (ESC) incorporating:
- Anti-lock Braking System (ABS)
- Brake Assist (BA)
- Electronic Brakeforce Distribution (EBD)Traction Control System (TCS)
- Pedestrian friendly alert (driver activated)
- Sensor indicators incorporating lane departure warning, following distance and forward collision alert
- Seatbelt warning – all seats
- Electric park brake
- Brakes – front and rear disc, fully regenerative to maximise energy capture
- Child restraint anchors (2)