Facilities: Die Cast Production Building
Located in south central Indiana, GM Powertrain Bedford is one of the leading aluminum die casting facilities in the world. Bedford uses an aluminum die cast process to manufacture transmission casings and converter housings for the new fuel efficient six speed transmissions. Most team members are represented by United Autoworker Locals 440 and IBEW Local 16. Bedford is located in the heart of Indiana’s limestone country in beautiful south central Indiana. The Bedford facility is about 25 minutes south of Bloomington, home of Indiana University.
- December 16, 2013 - GM will invest $22.6 million for 10-speed transmission components and $6.6 million for 6-speed transmission component capacity increase at Bedford. This investment totals $29.2 million.
Project details - The $22.6-million investment represents a new 10-speed product for the Bedford site that will produce components for this product. In addition, a $6.6-million investment will provide tooling and equipment for added component capacity for the 6-speed transmission that is currently produced.
Plant Manager Quote: “This investment signifies a commitment to the men and women of Bedford Powertrain and their dedication to build the best Engine and Transmissions in the world. With the support of this team, including the leadership of UAW Local 440 & IBEW Local 16, Bedford has a very bright future.”
- Eric Gonzales, Bedford plant manager
- $32 Million invested in July of 2011 for transmissions for Buick and Chevrolet models with eAssist fuel-saving technology.
- $49 Million invested in June of 2011 for tooling and equipment to produce components for a recently announced 8-speed transmission and a future small engine program.
- $111 Million invested in April, 2010 for addition of semi-permanent mold cylinder head casting line for V6 and V8 engines. Expansion of newer precision sand casting technology needed to support the newer, more efficient engines in GM’s product portfolio.
$114 Million invested in 2006 & 2007-Transmission Components