Chevrolet Suburban: New for 2013
- Exterior colors: Desert Sun Metallic, Concord Metallic and Blue Ray Metallic
- Powertrain grade braking in normal transmission mode
2013 Chevrolet Suburban Rolls into its 78th Year
Chevrolet Suburban is the original SUV and the oldest continuous nameplate in automotive history, having been introduced in 1935. It rolls into its 78th year with the same blend of spaciousness and capability that has distinguished it for more than seven decades.
The 2013 lineup is composed of LS, LT and LTZ models, offered in 2WD and 4WD, as well as (1/2 ton) and heavy-duty 2500 series (3/4 ton. (LTZ is available only on 1500 series.) A Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission is standard on 1500 models, optimizing fuel economy on the highway via reduced engine speed. Also, the lower-rpm engine speed on the highway enhances interior quietness.
“Since 1935, the Chevrolet Suburban gained popularity for its focus on functionality and spaciousness and remained true to its origin” said Harrie van der Schoot, Product Manager Chevrolet Trucks and SUV’s at General Motors Middle East Operations. “The original and oldest SUV, the Suburban has inspired the production of many of Chevrolet’s Sport Utility Vehicles.”
All models ride on a 3,302 mm wheelbase, which supports the Suburban’s generous passenger and cargo capability, while enabling a smooth ride. It is based on GM’s full-size SUV architecture, which features sleek, exterior styling; a sharp, precise driving feel and excellent interior refinement and quietness.
Behind the first-row seats, Suburban offers 3,891 liters of cargo room, along with up to 3,674 kg of towing capability (1500 2WD models). Depending on the equipment level, the Suburban 2500 can tow up to 4,355 kg.
Three new colors are added for 2013: Desert Sun Metallic, Concord Metallic and Blue Ray Metallic. Also new is powertrain grade braking in the normal transmission mode – it was previously incorporated only when the Tow/Haul mode was activated. It uses engine torque to help slow the vehicle on descents, which helps reduce brake wear.
Suburban design and exterior features
Suburban features the global face of Chevrolet, with a large Chevy gold bowtie centered on a twin-port horizontal grille. The grille surround is inset with an argent texture or available chrome finish. Fog lamps and headlamps feature detailed optics. The lower fascia, incorporating the front license plate holder and integrated recovery hooks, is aggressively styled with a skid plate look that enhances Suburban’s rugged, off-road appearance.
- Standard assist steps on all models
- Heated power-operated outside mirrors are available on LT and standard on LTZ. They include auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature
- A power-operated liftgate is available on selected LT models and is standard on LTZ
- Black frame-mounted recovery hooks are standard on all models
- A range of 17-inch, 18-inch and 20-inch wheels is offered. Seventeen-inch wheels and tires are standard on LS and selected LT models, with 18-inch wheels standard onother selected LT models. 20-inch wheels are available on selected LT models and standard on LTZ models.
- The Z71 Off Road appearance package is standard on selected LT models and includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, 18-inch on/off road tires, automatic-locking differential, front recovery hooks, a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner. Large, color-keyed wheel flares, an aggressive front fascia and satin chrome tubular assist steps, and bright chrome front grille insert provide a one-of-a kind appearance
- Exterior color choices include:Black, Summit White, Black Granite Metallic, Crystal Red Tintcoat, White Diamond Tricoat, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic, NEW! Desert Sun Metallic, NEW! Concord Metallic and NEW! Blue Ray Metallic
Suburban interior standard and available features
- There are almost no exposed metal hardware or latches, as all models feature enclosing “close-outs” around the seat bottoms and door sill trim plates
- Suburban has a large center console storage bin, a large glove box and numerous storage compartments
- Three rows of seating are standard on all models. The second row is available as a three-passenger bench with a 60/40 split. The third row features a 50/50-split design and is removable. A power-assisted second row seat release features is available on selected LT models and standard on LTZ models
- Leather-appointed front seats are available on selected LT models and standard on LTZ models and always combined with seats heating
- Heated and cooled front seats and heated second-row seats are available on selected LT models and standard on LTZ models
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on all models
- Tri-zone automatic climate control is available on selected LT models and standard on LTZ models; dual-zone manual-control air conditioning is standard on LS and other selected LT models
- Rear-seat entertainment system is available on selected LT models and standard on LTZ models and includes a DVD player with remote control, overhead display, two sets of wireless infrared headphones, auxiliary audio/video jacks, remote game plug-in and mute button in overhead console
- Audio system with AM/FM/CD and USB port is standard on LS and all LT models
- Bose Premium nine-speaker Sound system is available on all LT models and standard on LTZ models
- Navigation radio with touch-screen operation is available on LT and LTZ models
- Power-adjustable pedals are available on all LS models and selected LT models and standard on other LT models and LTZ models
- Remote vehicle starter system is available on LS and selected LT models, while standard on other selected LT models and LTZ models
All 1500 models are powered by a Vortec 5.3L V-8 that balances power and efficiency. GM’s Active Fuel Management cylinder deactivating technology helps improve fuel economy in certain light-load driving conditions. It is also E85-capable and matched with GM’s Hydra-Matic 6L80 six-speed automatic transmission.
Suburban 2500 features the Vortec 6.0L V-8, rated at 352 horsepower and 516 Nm of torque.Itfeatures variable valve timing, Active Fuel Management and E85 capability. It is paired with the heavy-duty Hydra-matic 6L90 six-speed automatic transmission.
- Vortec 5.3L with an aluminum cylinder block is used on 1500 4WD models and rated at 320 horsepower and 454 Nm of torque
- The variable valve timing system on the 6.0L v8 engine allows linear delivery of torque, with near-peak levels over a broad rpm range, and high specific output (horsepower per liter of displacement). It also helps reduce exhaust emissions. Because it manages valve overlap at optimum levels, it eliminates the need for an Exhaust Gas Recirculation system
- E85 is a clean-burning, alternative fuel comprising 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gases during the combustion process
Suburban chassis and suspension
The Suburban is built on GM’s full-size SUV platform, incorporating a fully boxed frame, coil-over-shock front suspension (1500 models) or independent front suspension with torsion bars (2500 models), leaf-spring rear suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. Its longer wheelbase enhances ride smoothness and supports high towing capacity of up to 4,355 kg on 2500 models and up to 3,674 kg on 1500 models.
- Wide front and rear tracks –1,732 mm front/1,702 mm rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel
- A stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components
- A Transfer case, electronic Autotrac with rotary controls is standard on all 4WD models
- A trailering package with a 3.42 axle ratio, external transmission cooler and engine oil cooler is available on LS, LT and LTZ models
- The standard axle ratio on all models is 3.08
- A heavy-duty locking rear differential is standard on all models both 2WD and 4WD.
Suburban safety and crash-avoidance features
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment
- Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger provide thorax and pelvic protection
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Available Ultrasonic Rear Parking Assist is available on LS and selected LT models and standard on LTZ models. It can detect certain stationary objects in the rearward path of the vehicle and send an audible warning sound and display via three LEDs near the rear window
- Available rearview camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle on all models
- Standard four-wheel-disc brake system with ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer brake pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- LATCH (Lower Anchors and Tethers for Children) child seat attachment system, which is included in two of the second-row seating positions
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models
- Standard remote keyless entry system can be used by drivers to locate their vehicle Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants