Chevrolet Silverado: New for 2013
- Exterior colors: Deep Ruby Metallic and Blue Topaz Metallic
- Powertrain grade braking now included in all six-speed automatic transmissions
2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is Capable, Dependable and Efficient
Capability might well be the Chevrolet Silverado 1500’s middle name. With a broad range of body styles, efficient powertrains and connectivity technology, it can be configured for just about any job – whether hauling equipment and a crew to a job site or towing a camper for a weekend getaway.
“The 2013 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 is fully-equipped to handle any task; it is powered with an efficient lineup of engines, including a variable valve timing system that helps to reduce exhaust emissions.” said Harrie van der Schoot, Product Manager Chevrolet Trucks and SUV’s at General Motors Middle East Operations.
The Silverado 1500 lineup is built on GM’s full-size truck architecture, which supports a smooth ride and confident handling. A lineup of powerful small-block V8 engines and six-speed automatic transmissions complement the strong chassis by enabling a maximum payload capacity of 880 kg on the 2WD crew cab (with the enhanced trailering package). It is also an efficient powertrain lineup, with the Silverado (2WD crew cab) delivering an EPA-estimated 13.8 L/100 km on the highway and a towing capacity of up to 4,355 kg.
The range of body styles and configurations for 2013 includes:
- Three cab styles – regular, extended and crew cab
- Three cargo box lengths – short, standard and long
- Four trim levels: LT and LTZ, all available in 2WD and 4WD
Powertrain grade braking is now included in all six-speed automatic transmissions. This feature reduces brake rotor temperatures 100 degrees Celsius on grade tests by downshifting transmission gears, thereby reducing brake applications on long downhill conditions.
Silverado design and exterior features
The Silverado has a chiseled design that accents a broad-shouldered stance to give it a confident, firmly planted stance. Design cues include a power dome hood, flared rear fenders, vertically stacked reflector-optics headlamps and Chevrolet’s iconic bow tie emblem in the grille.
A chrome bumper is standard on all models, while LT and LTZ trim level models receive body-color front bumpers. A chrome bumper is standard on LT trim level models, while LTZ trim level models receive body-color front bumpers. The large, grab-style door handles are designed for ease of use with gloves.
Highlights of Silverado’s standard and available exterior features include:
- Fog lamps are available on LT and standard on LTZ
- Heated, power-adjustable outside mirrors including auto-dimming, integrated signal indicators, ground lights and curb-tilt feature are available on LT and LTZ
- Heated, power-adjustable vertical camper-style outside mirrors are available on LT and LTZ.
- EZ-Lift tailgate (spring-loaded) is available on all models
- Locking tailgate is available on LT and LTZ models
- Seventeen-inch wheels are standard on all models
- The Z71 Off Road appearance package is available on LT and LTZ regular cab, extended cab and crew cab models. Content includes the Z71 suspension package, 46 mm shocks, off-road jounce bumpers, 34mm front stabilizer bar, Skid Plate Package, air cleaner and Z71 decals on rear quarters
- Exterior color choices include:
Graystone Metallic, Black, Blue Granite Metallic, Summit White, Victory Red, Silver Ice Metallic, Mocha Steel Metallic and the new color choices: Deep Ruby Metallic and Blue Topaz Metallic.
Silverado interior standard and available features
Silverado features two interiors to meet the diverse needs of customers. The LT trim levels feature the “pure pickup” interior and the LTZ trim level features the luxury-inspired interior similar to Chevrolet’s full-size utilities.
A large-capacity, double glove box is part of the instrument panel. LTZ models feature a luxury-inspired interior with a unique instrument panel, door panels, larger-capacity center console that offers 20.1 liters of undivided storage and other distinct trim.
A stadium-style rear seat with a 60/40-split design and folding center armrest is standard on crew cab models and available on extended cab models. It can be easily folded up with one hand, without using a release handle, to provide an uninterrupted load floor. Alternatively, either section of the split seat can be stowed independently, allowing room for both cargo and a rear-seat passenger.
Rear access doors open 170 degrees for easy entry to the rear seat/storage area of extended cab models. Power-operated rear side windows lower completely into the 170-degree access doors, providing 100-percent openness on LT and LTZ models.
- Dual-zone automatic climate control is available on LT and standard on LTZ; single-zone manual air conditioning is standard on LT
- Range of CD/DVD/MP3-capable audio systems is available on all models
- Bose premium speaker system with subwoofer mounted in the center console is available on LT and standard on LTZ
- Driver Information Center is standard on all models
- Power-adjustable pedals are available on LT and LTZ models
- Two auxiliary 12-volt power outlets are standard on all models and mounted on the instrument panel
- Remote vehicle starter system is available on LT and standard on LTZ
- Premium cloth seat trim is available on LT models
- Leather-trimmed front seat trim is available on LT and standard on LTZ
- Front 40/20/40-split front bench seat with lockable storage compartment is available on LT
- Front bucket seats with 10-way power driver and passenger seat adjusters are available on LTZ models. Front bucket seats with six-way power adjusters are available on LT
- Rear 60/40-split folding bench seat is standard on all models
- Leather-wrapped steering wheel is standard on LT and LTZ models
- Steering wheel audio controls are available on LT and standard on LTZ
- Power-operated sunroof is available on LTZ extended cab and crew cab models. The sunroof retracts above the roof on extended cab and inside the roof on crew cab models
- Interior trim colors include: Ebony, Dark Cashmere/Light Cashmere, Dark Titanium/Light Titanium and Dark Titanium
Silverado models are powered by an efficient lineup of engines. Advanced technologies such as Active Fuel Management optimize performance and efficiency. A FlexFuel engine is available – and partnered with fuel-saving AFM – giving customers the choice of powering their truck with E85 ethanol, gasoline or a combination of both fuels. Silverado 1500’s engine offerings include:
- 4.8L V-8, E85-capable with iron block; rated at 302 hp and 412 NM of torque
- 5.3L FlexFuel V-8, E85-capable with aluminum block and Active Fuel Management, rated at 315 hp and 452 Nm of torque
- GM’s Active Fuel Management technology increases fuel economy approximately 6 percent under the federal government’s required testing procedure and potentially more in certain real-world driving conditions. AFM temporarily deactivates four of the engine’s cylinders under light load conditions and seamlessly reactivates them when full power is required. The transition takes less than 20 milliseconds and is virtually indiscernible
- E85 is a clean-burning, domestically produced alternative fuel composed of 85 percent ethanol alcohol and 15 percent gasoline. Ethanol is renewable and produces fewer greenhouse gases during the combustion process
Silverado chassis and suspension
Built on GM’s full-size truck platform, the Silverado incorporates features such as a fully boxed frame – with a hydroformed front section – coil-over-shock front suspension and rack-and-pinion steering. It also has wide front and rear tracks that enhance stability and driving confidence through a more secure road feel.
Silverado is offered with three suspension systems, each tailored to suit specific driving requirements:
- Z83 – Delivers a solid, smooth ride with monotube front shocks and twin-tube rear shocks
- Z85 – Designed for enhanced handling and trailer towing, with monotube front and rear shocks
- Z71 – Delivers enhanced off-road capability; features specific monotube front and rear shocks
Additional chassis and suspension details include:
- A coil-over-shock front suspension delivers linear handling characteristics on all road surfaces
- A rack-and-pinion steering system provides precise control and strong on-center feel
- A Hotchkiss-type rear suspension provides superior isolation and ride with a splayed arrangement for the shock absorbers
- Four-channel ABS is standard on all models and is linked to the StabiliTrak electronic stability control system to help mitigate rollover crashes
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system is standard on all models and includes electronic trailer sway control and hill start assist
- Wide front and rear tracks –1,732 mm front/1,702 mm rear – enhance handling and vehicle stability for a more confident road feel
- A stiff frame reduces vibrations transmitted to the passenger cabin, while the strength and accuracy of the fully boxed frame also enable precise mounting and tuning of chassis and suspension components
- Autotrac electronic transfer case is available on LT and LTZ models
- An automatic locking rear differential is available on all models
- Integrated trailer brake controller is available on all models
- The Z71 suspension is available on LT and LTZ models. Content includes high-pressure, gas-charged monotube shocks, on/off-road tires, off-road jounce bumpers, front recovery hooks (2WD), a durable skid plate and high-capacity air cleaner
- The trailering equipment is standard on all regular, extended cab and crew cab models. Content includes trailering hitch platform and 2-inch receiver, 7-wire harness with independent fused trailering circuits mated to a 7-way sealed connector, wiring harness for after-market trailer brake controller (located in the instrument panel harness) and single wire for center high-mounted stop lamp and heavy-duty automatic locking rear differential.
Silverado safety and crash-avoidance features
- Standard head curtain side air bags with rollover protection for all seating rows. The roof-mounted head curtain air bags include design features that provide increased rollover protection and occupant containment
- Standard seat-mounted side-impact air bags for driver and right-front passenger provide thorax and pelvic protection
- StabiliTrak electronic stability control system helps reduce the risk of rollover crashes by keeping the vehicle in the driver’s intended path by applying throttle, braking or a combination of both
- Available rear-view camera system designed to provide the driver with
a view of people or objects in the rearward path of the vehicle
- Standard high-capacity brake system with four-channel ABS featuring smooth, quiet operation, longer pad life and more resistance to brake pulsation
- Pretensioners minimize forward movement during a collision, and are standard on the front safety belts. Load-limiting retractors cinch the belt more tightly
- Tire pressure monitoring system, standard on all models
- Available remote keyless entry system can be used to locate the vehicle
Strong body structure to absorb crash energy and provide a protective “safety cage” around occupants